Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

A good noise?

Male
A_man_called_CHIOG  Male  South East London 27-Feb-2019 10:56 Message #4736232
I had some friends and relatives round at the weekend including several young children. At one stage the children were being very noisy and I asked them to be a little quieter.
Straight away a little 10 year old replies "It's ok it's only good noise" and then proceeds to tell be that bad noise is "nasty shouting" and good noise is laughing and having a good time. I thought that was brilliant coming from a youngster with more commonsense than many adults and we all settled down to exchange our thoughts on this.

I think laughing, running water and a cat purring are good noises. Do you have any good or bad noises?
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 27-Feb-2019 11:29 Message #4736237
Cats purring is definately a good noise, birdsong is another good noise.

Road drills are a bad noise, so are many human noises.

Your young friend did make a good point, but really a noise is a sound thats unwelcome to its hearer, some people seem incapable of having a good time, or any time, without making a racket. I do laugh hearing the kids over the hedge talking to each other they spend every available momment outside making dens and stuff, but sometimes I wish they'd do it a bit quieter, I don't want to feel as though I'm sharing my house with my neighours.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 27-Feb-2019 11:48 Message #4736238
Out walking on the moors with a couple of friends recently, I commented how the silence was so good, because it was pretty windy one of them said how it wasn't exactly silent, I had to clarify I meant the absence of traffic, of people chattering, of the sounds of the city.
Sometimes walking home after a night shift the roads are less busy, road works are less likely, less people are about. Sometimes depending on the route I take, the only sound may be a few birds tweeting away, the air is often still, sometimes I'll just stop and drink it in and wish the whole of life was as silent, as peaceful...
Then I remember my grandkids, my kids, hearing other children talking to their parents/families and know I'd miss those moments too. I'm not a fan of 'adults' talking, I think that's something I could do without, far too complicated.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 27-Feb-2019 12:04 Message #4736240
I hate the sound of a generator, esp if outside out bdroom window, as it was in the snow of last year... I dread it happening again.

I have begun to like the sound of the peacock screaming, at least I know he is still in the land of the living - even at 3am . He's been here for 9 years now, and has now become part of us.
Male
A_man_called_CHIOG  Male  South East London 27-Feb-2019 12:42 Message #4736244
Children giggling make me want to giggle too.
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 27-Feb-2019 16:42 Message #4736246
Bad noise - Loudmouth Trous du cul ( excuse the French )

Good noise can drown out bad noise ( aided by headphones etc ).

Good noise. eg..your favourite music, can become bad noise eg... blasting out at 3 in the morning we you are trying to sleep.

Bad noise - when something on your car shouldn't be doing it.

Bad noise - Ice cream van waking me up when I was on shifts. Never bought any ice creams off him, as a payback.
Female
leogirl  Female  Essex 27-Feb-2019 22:59 Message #4736269
who heard the good noise the icecream van yet this last few days? I had an white chocolate magnum yesterday, after lunch with a glass of wine al fresco.

I quite like to hear the friendly grunts of my dog when he sees the kids coming out of school .
Female
BunnyGirl  Female  Buckinghamshire 28-Feb-2019 08:01 Message #4736271
Althoug laughing can be good but some people's laugh can be very daunting as i know a couple of
women's laugh and it goes right through you and annoying. And it seem to go on forever. Lol

I always like to hear the key in the front door and i know it is my son has come home ha ha

Also when my neighbour knocks on my door i feel good knowing it it her lol
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 28-Feb-2019 08:03 Message #4736272
Alas, I will never experience complete silence again. Tinitis is a very bad noise. It is crazy making, at times. A good noise is soothing music that is loud enough to drown out the hissing and whine in my ears.
Female
RAACH84  Female  Buckinghamshire 28-Feb-2019 16:32 Message #4736315
That must be awful Minnie.

I like the sound of the water splashing about when I have a shower.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »