Conversation Help and Advice
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Allotment

Vegetable seeds

Female
happywalker  Female  Dorset 18-Feb-2019 12:13 Message #4735500
Last November I became the proud tenant of an allotment. Having cleared it of weeds and debris etc. I am keen to get sowing.

One of the main reasons I want to grow more of my own food is for flavour. I hanker after potatoes that taste like the ones my father grew, indeed, any veg that have some actual flavour would be brilliant.

However, virtually all the seed packets that I’ve looked at shout ‘abundant crop’ ‘high yield’ etc and it seems this is in preference to quality. I can buy mass produced from any supermarket at a reasonable price.

I’ve also just read an amazing book on organic veg growing written by RHS where they applaud flavour over quantity, but nowhere does it say where you can buy the seeds. I will write and ask them, but in the meantime can anyone recommend any seeds produced for flavour please which they have used?

Thank you x
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 18-Feb-2019 13:55 Message #4735506
Hello HW

Quite honestly, the last few years I have bought my seeds from Lidls, and they have been the best ever. I usually grow r/beans/Fr beans/kale/tomatoes - various varieties , cucumbers.courgettes, carrots,swiss chard. spinach, potatoes - everything has been good. Only one problem last year was the drought in this part of the Chilterns, and I lost a lot of spinach and some tomatoes. But my own fault as I didnt organise a 'plant sitter'. Cant seem to grow cabbages here - either the deer get them or the caterpillars

Lidls are so much cheaper than elsewhere too, and their flower & herb seeds are also excellent. Give them a try, you wont be disapointed

V x
Female
happywalker  Female  Dorset 18-Feb-2019 14:05 Message #4735508
Thank you V, that is good to know. I will give them a try. I think my runner beans came from there last year and after a very slow start (partly due to blackfly invasion and partly to drought) they came good in the end when everyone else had given up on theirs.

I’m going to try planting nasturtiums next to them this year in the hope the nasturtiums ‘suck up’ up the little blighters. I think it was W/hen who recommended that on a thread here last year.

Here’s to good tasting crops! X
Male
flowerpotman  Male  Dumfries and Galloway 18-Feb-2019 14:42 Message #4735510
I use Kings seeds and Chiltern seeds both family companies, I have been using them for many years with complete satisfaction.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 18-Feb-2019 15:24 Message #4735511
If you think about it, it's limited what can be done to seeds to ensure high yields and abundant crops - the absolute key is what happens to those seeds once they become plants and start growing. Growing conditions, fertilizer and crop management will determine what the finished article is like. Any home grown crops will taste better because they are not mass produced.
Commercially grown crops need to produce quantity and quality does suffer as a result - potatoes are irrigated like crazy to bulk them out, farmers can't rely solely on getting enough rainfall to produce a decent crop.
Dobies of Devon have been my favourite seed supplier for years...
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 18-Feb-2019 18:53 Message #4735522
I use Kings seeds and Wilko's too, I think you get out in flavour what you put into the soil in terms of compost, mulches and fertilizers, I'm lucky living on the coast I can get as much free seaweed as I can be bothered to collect from the shoreline. See if you can find a good source of horse or farmyard manure and if you have a local brewery ask if you can collect some spent hops, they make a great mulch and addition to the compost heap.
Female
justfem  Female  Cambridgeshire 19-Feb-2019 12:15 Message #4735551
I often ebay it with seeds. You get some selling rather unusual seeds if you look around and some sellers put on some real bargains if you want a mixture.
Male
OnlineMSE  Male  Essex 19-Feb-2019 21:24 Message #4735569
I get my seeds from Lidl's too.
And at 39p, & 49p for most sorts they're excellent vfm, and very reliable.
Courgette (Diamant), and Beetroot (Detroit) have always germinated.
I grow my runner beans from retained last years seeds.
I wouldn't bother growing onions from seed, better to get onion sets. Wilkos do a good one called Turbo that grow well (unless like last year it's stupid hot and dry) and at the moment they have a 3 for 2 on seed potato and onions (red & white) sets and shallots.
Female
happywalker  Female  Dorset 20-Feb-2019 18:13 Message #4735637
Thankyou everyone who has replied - some very useful tips, some of which I will be using.
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire 25-Feb-2019 22:18 Message #4736154
You mentioned potatoes. Try that old traditional favourite, the King Edward. I managed to track some down the other day in Asda - in the potato section, not the gardening one! I have put them aside to chit (start growing legs) before planting.

Scarlet Emperor is a good traditional runner bean. Cobra, although relatively new, is a French climbing bean I can recommend. Avoid Blue Lake. Rubbish.

Wilko's seeds are generally reliable - and cheap!

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »