Conversation Arts and Entertainment
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

2 Songs

You might have listened to today

Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 17-Feb-2019 01:44 Message #4735426
Basically what the titles say.

Inspired by tumbleweed's thread about music and because I can't work out how to do the Converse in song titles thingy, plus I'm getting too grumpy and need to chill.

Song 1
The ship song, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds.
It's just so melodic and soothing, plus those lines "Come sail your ships around me, and burn your bridges down"...damn...I wish I could think of such lines.

Song 2
panch & lefty, Willie Nelson
Again, quite melodic, plus a good story to listen to.

Join in if you wish.
Male
mancers  Male  Greater Manchester 17-Feb-2019 09:20 Message #4735431
Well Terry you inspired me to google Harry Chaplin one of the great singer/ storyteller ever, started of with W.O.L.D. story about a travelling DJ, then The Cats In The Cradle sad story of a workaholic .
Rest in Peace Harry you are missed.
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 17-Feb-2019 11:05 Message #4735444
It's difficult to narrow it down to 2, as I have listened to 3 today so far.

I will list all 3, and pretend it's only 2.

The Dead South - In Hell, I'll be in Good Company - A bit of a catchy song, a bit of banjo,a pretty cool video to go with it, and over 100 million views on youtube

The Cranberries ( Dolores O' Riordan ) - Dreams - The Live performance in Switzerland. Great talent. Still can't believe that she's gone. RIP Dolores

Placebo - Nancy Boy - Just a great song.

All just sound brilliant to me. The tune more than the lyrics. They could put any lyrics in, the tune will be the same.

Sorry to be a bit of a rebel. I will try and choose 2 next time.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 17-Feb-2019 11:15 Message #4735447
Why would I of listened to anything, let alone those two? I'm not long up, to be honnest I'm totally out of touch with music these days, I watch The Voice and thats about it for music for the week.
Male
mancers  Male  Greater Manchester 17-Feb-2019 11:42 Message #4735452
C’mon WH we all need a bit of music in our life, I suggest The Voice is not the place to look, from Beethoven to the Beatles or Mario Lanza to Mott the Hoople there must be something for you.
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 17-Feb-2019 11:57 Message #4735454
At the risk of facing the 'Wrath of wh', I think she has mistaken the title as listening to those two particular songs that Terry mentioned.

Like, these are two songs that you might have listened to today.

I am sure that as the day wears on, wh will be humming some tunes.
Male
mancers  Male  Greater Manchester 17-Feb-2019 12:18 Message #4735455
It wouldn’t be the firs time I have felt the wrath from wh
I was awaiting the backlash :0)
Female
joolsy  Female  Essex 17-Feb-2019 12:49 Message #4735456
Go your own way ... Fleetwoodmac ... Babylon .. David grey .. Got lots more ... Love alsorts x
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 17-Feb-2019 17:29 Message #4735472
Downtown by Pet Clark... its a lively uplifting song... , and SHE by Charls Aznavour... both romantic and cheerful songs on car radio.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 17-Feb-2019 17:43 Message #4735474
Its not that I dislike music, it that I like to listen to it and people insist on talking over the top of it and I don't have anything to play music on and on the rare occaisions when I do get to listen to something I get told off by Manthing because he dosen't like what I'm listening to, my "curry music" as he calls it. I hate listening to music with him as not only does he talk all over it, but he listens to about 30 seconds of something then turns it off an puts something else on, then we have a row that begins with me saying 'Oi, I was enjoying that'. To be honest I like the sound of silence and the natural sounds around me. Listening to music is also a bit painful these days, ever since I lost my singing voice, and can no longer sing along I've found it really difficult, esepcially as I never reallly knew what I had until just before I lost it, I always knew I could sing, but not how well, I could of easily sung opera given the right training. Beethoven, Mario Lanza and Mott the Hoople are three musicians/bands I really can't stand.
Female
honeybun06  Female  Derbyshire 17-Feb-2019 19:23 Message #4735481
I had ten minutes on YouTube earlier and listened to Reflections Of My Life by Marmalade and was saddened to read that Dean Ford, the lead singer, had died at the start of the Year.

I also listened to John Lennon Watching Wheels which was lovely xx
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 21-Feb-2019 22:21 Message #4735772
Both today are Christy Moore, I'm tryin to give my neighbour downstairs some peace so playing through the computer not the stereo (it's quieter)

Ride On
There is just something about this song, from the opening guitar sound, to the first words leading up to the chorus, it's hauntingly atmospheric. The words seem to make no sense yet at the same time it gives me a feeling of it being such a beautiful love song.

Lisdoonvarna
Quite simply this song reminds me of muddy fields, rain, cold and brilliant all nighters. Add to that the references to various musicians and to me it's just a rollicking good song.

Wh...please do continue adding if you so wish, whether to talk about music or anything you wish to. Yes, the thread is about two songs that a person may have enjoyed today but above all, it's a place to talk if they prefer, think of it as an evening down the pub or in someone's front room with a pot of tea, good conversation rarely follows rules.
Female
Clocky  Female  the West Midlands 22-Feb-2019 18:26 Message #4735831
MY go to for a quick uplift is Postmodern Jukebox ... they take a modern song and do it in a very old style. This one is Bad Romance done in a 1920's Gatsby style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCTOpdlZJ8U

Listening to Lisa Marie Presley singing along to her dads stuff is quite moving too ... sh'es got a stunning female version of her dads sound ...lovely :)

If i'm painting ... I head for the Kinks
Doing the housework ...Vera Lynn or Doris Day
Getting ready to go out is usually some sort of velvet n lace stuff.
It all depends on the mood I want to set for myself. Yesterday I was at the hospital for an appointment. The area was very crowded, the staff were really short on numbers and the crowd were beginning to get a bit noisy and restless. Out of nowhere someone hopped on the piano and started playing some modern tunes ...it's amazing how the atmosphere changed and people just seemed to chill and enjoy.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 22-Feb-2019 21:44 Message #4735848
Too Close To Heaven

The Waterboys

Crow on the cradle

Jackson Browne

Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 23-Feb-2019 20:26 Message #4735899
Take it easy

Jackson Browne
Needed a bit of a chill pill today and this version of this song, being very aucoustically inclined as opposed to the Eagles version was rough and ready enough to put me in mind of evnings on the boat moored out in the sticks a mile or two from anywhere and anyone, just me and the dog...

Living in the past

Jethro Tull
Thoughts going back to Bradford St George's Hall, missing the bus home and the walk back to Wakefield, bloody long way.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 1-Mar-2019 10:36 Message #4736348
One inspired by mancers today, when you talked of Harry Chapin, yes, a great storyteller.
Tumbleweed, go on, be a rebel, the world needs more good rebels. I've never heard of The Dead South, will give it a listen this weekend, thanks.

The two thing was just to keep things manageable for people, I'm easily confused when there's lots of information to take in but hey, go for as many as you want.

Today for me it's:
Mary Chapin Carpenter

Don't need much to be happy
It's the listing of the almost basic things, food in my belly and a bed to sleep on...nice.

Next,
Mark Knopfler and James Taylor

The Mason Dixon Line
again, a great story...just never really understood how James Taylor could be thought of as a West Country bloke??
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 7-Mar-2019 17:18 Message #4736576
Some Weird parody today. And a lot of talent.

First

"Weird Al" Yankovic - Perform This Way (Parody of "Born This Way" by Lady Gaga)...I quite like the original version, but this parody is just as good, if not better. Weird Al is a talented performer.

then

Axis of Awesome - 4 Four Chord Song...A load of songs in one, all to the same 4 chords. Again, a lot of talent.
Female
jennifer  Female  Gloucestershire 12-Mar-2019 09:01 Message #4736773
When the Going Gets Tough (Billy Ocean)

Can't Explain (The Who)
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 18-Mar-2019 19:47 Message #4737099
Lucinda Williams

'Ugly Truth'
Tired and ill today so wanted something quiet.

Amy Macdonald

Mr Rock 'n' Roll
No particular reason...was first on the album.
Female
jennifer  Female  Gloucestershire 19-Mar-2019 10:57 Message #4737134
It Must Be Love (Labi Siffre ... playing now)

Going Out Of My Head (Archie Bell & The Drells)
Male
Eljer  Male  North London 19-Mar-2019 15:49 Message #4737169
Cant Get You Out Of My Head - Eljer

Unfamilier Places - Oneself ...( playing now) ...( chilling out) ... and wishing i was having a sort of smoochie dance with curly ;)

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »