Conversation Health and Wellbeing
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Aspirations, plans and projects for spring and beyond.

Do you have an uplifting list of things you hope to get done this summer?

Male
Beach  Male  Dorset 9-Feb-2019 14:50 Message #4734901
With warmer weather and longer daylight hours heading our way, likely, there will be opportunities or challenges we may wish to focus on in the coming months so what personal goals or plans are likely to grab your attention as spring and summer unfolds?

As an inventor, I’ve always held a personal theory that the UK has been such a mover and shaker in the world of innovation, primarily, because, as an island people situated where we are geographically, we have had to, over the centuries, learn to duck and dive, make do and mend and cut our cloth accordingly when faced with the fascinating array of climatic conditions we experience.

Our weather doesn’t encourage us to take siestas in the middle of the day (like a hot country such as Spain) and neither does it pin us down with several months of freezing snow like it does in parts of Alaska.

So … are you planning to start/continue some fitness regime, acquire and assemble that summerhouse you’ve been dreaming of, finish 3D printing the life sized, intelligent robot you’ve been working on or continue exploring, photographing and writing about that, seemingly, unexplored section of coast you discovered this same time last year? (Yep. Those a few of a long list of things I will be re-acquainting myself with this year).

OR will you be happy enough just appreciating the steady, comfortable place you’ve now reached in life with little desire or need to tamper or tinker with things you are quite happy with already?
Male
Keithagain  Male  South Yorkshire 9-Feb-2019 15:54 Message #4734904
I'm continuing to make the best of my gardening. I intend to make a further raised bed and to grub up the hedge and replace it with a fence.
Or rather the builder is going to do it.
Male
Beach  Male  Dorset 9-Feb-2019 16:59 Message #4734906
I agree, Keithagain. Garden maintenance can be a really satisfying pursuit.

My ex wife, Jackie, is decorating my kitchen tomorrow and said I can borrow her estate car to take junk to the recycling depot if I like so I’ve just started one planned spring task early. I’m clearing one of the out-houses of years of accumulated PC junk to make way for a ‘drop in’ ad hoc PC office environment for people to use the internet, printers, etc, if and when our local library is closed or busy. (Such demand is very occasional / intermittent so the facility will be a free service providing folk donate to my favourite cancer hospice charity a few doors up along the street).

I could also use it on hot, sunny days when I put a little sign out inviting folk to “track me down in the garden” rather than finding me in the studio/workshop.

I took the opportunity to fill 3 bags of fallen dead leaves from the lawn at the bottom of the garden as well so, I guess, my spring garden plans are well underway already. :-)
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside 9-Feb-2019 17:43 Message #4734907
well been meaning to go to Scotland for a few years...tick
tidy up garden...………...ticked today
need to visit Ireland too this year
and hopefully after ten long years on cancer treatment on april 5th I may get the all clear...………..flippin eck what will I be like not on the drugs...………..ooer……...lol
Male
Keithagain  Male  South Yorkshire 9-Feb-2019 18:12 Message #4734908
I didn't know you had cancer.
You certainly seem very cheerful despite everything.
I have had a stroke, but my garden still gets the treatment!

Keith x
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside 9-Feb-2019 18:26 Message #4734911
I,m cheerful because I,m alive...………..x
Male
Keithagain  Male  South Yorkshire 9-Feb-2019 18:37 Message #4734912
That's a good enough reason!
I'm certainly not miserable about it.
Male
Beach  Male  Dorset 9-Feb-2019 19:06 Message #4734913
Well said, Euro. :-) x
Female
Ilsmileforu  Female  Durham 9-Feb-2019 20:03 Message #4734923
I am looking forward to having a holiday, I need one more this year.
Male
Beach  Male  Dorset 9-Feb-2019 20:37 Message #4734925
Holiday? I've never had one of them, Ilsmileforu.

No. Tell a lie. In my lifetime, I've had one holiday with my father in Cornwall when I was about 14, just after my mother left him … (1970) and Jackie and I took the children for a week somewhere in Hampshire when they were 7 and 10. (1991).

I also went on an excursion to Land's End with a hoard of bikers and 3 cars, (I drove my souped up, modified Ford Anglia), but I couldn't call that a holiday in the traditional sense, though I could label it as some, American style, road trip!

In fact, like my bland mediocre taste in food, (very traditional), I don't think I have any kind of holiday or travel gene in my body! :-)

As I've said on these pages before, I live in a Truman Show style bubble, approximately 20 miles across and, intimately, getting to know this amazing part of West Dorset has kept me out of mischief for the last 40 odd years I have lived here.

Anyway. Don't you have to go in one of those flying aluminium tube things that fly 7 miles high to go on a real holiday? I'd nevercontemplate that! (No. I've never flown in a jet). But each to their own and, sure, I understand what a thrill a holiday probably is. I bet the anticipation of planning a holiday is nearly as good as going on one! :-)
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 10-Feb-2019 11:51 Message #4734966
I'm looking forward to more walks around the inland sea and doing the garden, I've always wanted to really plan a garden and see it through, this is the first opportunity I've had for years, this year is a consolidation year, some stuff was laid out and planted last year, now I want to see what its like now its a bit more established. I've got a couple of new veg to try this year as well as some old favourites. I want to get the other side of the front garden done too, I've got one side 3/4's done, so I need to finish that then work on the other side.

I'm thinking of getting another dog, probably another retired racing greyhound, Monty missies Dogglet and would like a companion, plus he's getting older now himself, he's 11 yrs and 8 months.

What I'd really like is a new kitchen, but I don't think thats going to happen, Mum hates anything like that involving change and builders and Manthing will want to plan it and tell me what I want, despite the fact that he dosen't cook and I do.
Female
Phoenixnights  Female  Nottinghamshire 10-Feb-2019 13:26 Message #4734976
Most of all am looking forward to better weather when I can walk my dog as much as possible as she loves getting out and about. My last dog was a complete contrast as she had MVD so was very anti exercise of any kind.

Am also planning a back garden re furb this summer / autumn to I love gardening and would like it more if I could potter in private. Actually, if I could build a 20 foot wall all around my garden , I would be happy but thats not feasible and wouldnt work as its such a steep slope.
Female
euphoria  Female  Cardiff 10-Feb-2019 14:25 Message #4734979
I need a major declutter in my little house.
The garden needs a spring makeover and when the weather is a bit drier the fence will need to be treated, the patio needs to be power washed, the garden walls need to be painted.
I also need to do quite a lot of work related paperwork ready to be signed off and ready for possible submission by the end of March
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 10-Feb-2019 15:21 Message #4734982
I have been in training for summer since November. I have been pushing weights in the gym and then swim half a mile three times a week. I had let myself get a bit feeble and I want to be strong enough to ride my bike and start walking the hills again, by April.
oh, and then there is the garden, but I'm not sure what will happen to that when and if my neighbour grubs out his hedge in the spring to build his extension. The fence belongs to me, but it's only waist height and I won't be able to plant up until I can get someone in to raise a tall fence to shut out the mess. Next door is an eyesore.
oh, and as Euphie mentions, there's the ongoing decluttering going on. It is getting better. Not so much junk about the place and I should be in a position to get it decorated and a cleaner to make time to do all this cycling and walking that I am going to do. We'll see.

Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 10-Feb-2019 18:11 Message #4734994
Pheonix and Minnie have you thought about big plants and trees to create privacy? I know Minnie only has a little garden, but I was really inspired by the small gardens featured on Gardeners World last year, you wouldn't think a tree could make a garden seem bigger but it does, if its the right tree in the right place.
Male
Beach  Male  Dorset 10-Feb-2019 20:40 Message #4735002
Ha ha. Gardens, kitchens and exercise! Many of us share similar goals! :-)

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »