Conversation Society, News and Sport
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Trolls

The internet breed

Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 7-Feb-2019 19:31 Message #4734747
Well, I suppose nowadays there is no other kind. This has probably also been done before on here but I wonder if the definition has changed at all...it could be said I qualify as one with the limited number of times I engage. I notice on some threads here it's used when there is strong or personal disagreement.
Anyway, what do you think, what's your definition of an internet troll?
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 7-Feb-2019 19:33 Message #4734748
I meant to also add, I wonder if internet trolls recognise themselves as such?
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 7-Feb-2019 20:09 Message #4734754
I remember the troll, from the Three Billy goats Gruff when I was a kid. Them crossing the bridge and all that, with the troll waiting for them.

I thought he was killed, by the Big goat gruff, but he must have had a load of chav trolls along the way, and they are now everywhere.

Having said that, there is probably a bit of troll in most of us. I have been accused a few times. It does seem that if you upset the applecart at all, then troll is bandied about.

The real bad ones though, are something else. They are not right in the head. With or without the internet, they are often nasty and disturbed individuals.
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 7-Feb-2019 22:32 Message #4734781
for a troll, see the "sex abuse" thread.

they are easy to spot, they only have one agenda, are determined to stir the shit, and when people wont agree with them they start throwing personal insults about.

they cant stand being ignored.

dont feed the trolls !!
Male
Good2BWith  Male  West Yorkshire 9-Feb-2019 03:35 Message #4734877
Try reading up on Gramsci and cultural hegemony.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 9-Feb-2019 07:07 Message #4734880
Gramsci was a troll?
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 9-Feb-2019 15:42 Message #4734902
If I were to read up on anything there'd be no point coming on here?
Male
Son-of-a-Beach  Male  Dorset 9-Feb-2019 19:29 Message #4734917
"She cannae take any more, cap’n", and neither can my inner Scotty.

Time to press the two way block button. :-)

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »