Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

TV

without a licence

1 2 Next >  Last >> 

Female
Bewildered  Female  Norfolk 7-Feb-2019 10:20 Message #4734698
Simple question or is it?

Can you opt of BBC channels and not pay the licence but still watch all the other channels though your didgi box.

Only have didgi box, no sky etc ...

Bet you cant.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 7-Feb-2019 11:18 Message #4734700
No you can't, but you can stream channels from the internet and not have a tv licence, most streaming services don't have access to BBC channels, or so I'm told.
Male
Beach  Male  Dorset 7-Feb-2019 11:32 Message #4734704
NO.

Watching ANY TV program, at the time it is being broadcast ON ANY TERRESTRIAL CHANNELS in the UK, requires a TV licence.

Though, before anyone muddies the waters regarding watching Catch Up TV, (excluding the BBC iPlayer), viewers DO NOT require a TV license to watch Catch Up TV programs from broadcasters like ITV, CH4 or CH5 making such Catch Up TV programs available online or via digital set top boxes.

I have an ongoing battle with the TV Licensing people because I strongly resent the inference that, because I don't need a TV license, I must be a suspect criminal!

Over the months, I get a series of intimidating, threatening and disturbing mail from the TV licensing org with threats including "We have just started an investigation" or "Shortly officers will be visiting your address" or various letters describing the hell and brimstone they will deliver me … should they discover I am viewing TV illegally … which I never am.

I'm "Computer Guy". I watch Catch Up, I watch YouTube, I watch Documentaries online, I watch ALL SORTS of content without requiring or needing to purchase a TV license.

And it winds me up that the TV licensing org earns, is it £4billion, £5billion? every year … simply by persecuting folk / bullying folk into buying said licence … while, all the while, even right up till today, keeping their information and advice nice and AMBIGUOUS so that some folk purchase their licence even if they might not appreciate they wouldn't need it … if they pursued the same viewing habits I did … by sticking to Catch Up and YouTube, etc.

The TV Licensing org? They are b+stards. That's what they are.

And I like the fact that they send officers to my door … because I intend, (always), to make sure I cause them as much inconvenience, (and cash when it comes to salaries, fuel etc), to make those b+stards have to work and waste their time on me … as pay pack for them harassing me and treating me like a criminal just because I don't need one of their TV licences.

B+stards.

Last thing.

It is now true that iPlayer falls outside of normal Catch Up TV territory and, yes, anyone wishing to view the BBC's Catch Up iPlayer service now has to register, (and swear they have a licence), before being allowed to watch that BBC iPlayer service.
Male
zodiac1  Male  Flintshire 7-Feb-2019 11:47 Message #4734707
When you get to be as old as me, you are lucky enough to be licence fee free.
Male
Beach  Male  Dorset 7-Feb-2019 11:51 Message #4734709
There are some grey areas that really wind me up.

Apparently, the TV licence applies with regard to any organisation that qualifies as a BROADCASTER.

I've tried, over the years, (by researching online forums, etc), to establish if web sites like NASA, (which broadcasts LIVE footage of historical space based events) OR the likes of Twitter or Facebook, (or live gaming platform Twitch), falls the right or wrong side of what qualifies as a "TV broadcast".

Put it this way …

On the day man steps out on the surface of Mars, if I can't watch such a profound, (most) historical event (EVER) live via online Nasa TV, (due to requiring a TV licence???), I'd go utterly ballistic.

There can be NO WAY, (can there?), that a TV licence would be required for such a life changing event?

If that, indeed, turned out to be true, I would start a one man war against the whole TV licencing establishment. :-(

B+stards.
Female
BunnyGirl  Female  Buckinghamshire 7-Feb-2019 12:04 Message #4734711
Zodiac - yeah i have only three more years to pay for a licence hooray for me lol

Altho i think when we retire we should not have to pay for one anyway. And also
Council tax. Hehe
Female
BunnyGirl  Female  Buckinghamshire 7-Feb-2019 12:06 Message #4734712
Son-of-a-Beach

Go on give them hell. You can do it lol

Maybe they need to have something to do ha ha
Male
Beach  Male  Dorset 7-Feb-2019 13:19 Message #4734720
I'm intimidating them back, BG.

I've started hanging their threatening letters on a cord swinging from a pagan deer skull (with horns) … that I usually use for other things.

My beautiful 17th century passageway, complete with age old worn flagstones, doesn't look quite so quaint and inviting when the passageway doors are shut and the passage is bathed in an eerie darkness after dusk.

I can also view the location with my PTZ 360 degree remote infra red camera, (operating it remotely or even barking at them via its speaker), to deliver as much menace their way as they continue to do to me via letters and phone calls. I might even add my disturbing pagan skull TV licence officer scarer photo to my photo gallery … just to share my ingenuity. :-)
Female
BunnyGirl  Female  Buckinghamshire 7-Feb-2019 14:06 Message #4734724
Well good for you. Like a man who can stand up for themselves. Ha ha lol

Hate weak men lol
Male
Jeff  Male  East Sussex 7-Feb-2019 18:23 Message #4734736
Son-of-a-Beach,

What you call "b+stards" are a good organisation with decent people doing a decent job, trying to catch cheats. Maybe you're not a cheat, but plenty of people are. Ignoring reminder letters/cards and deliberately causing TV Licensing to waste time and money and intimidating them are helping the lawbreakers and are detrimental to the service. The organisation and its officials don't know in advance if you're breaking the law or not. In 2018 people in 256,600 homes were caught watching TV without a licence. Tens of thousands of cheats are prosecuted each year, delaying other court cases. Nearly 1 in 6 people who have told the authorities that they don't need a licence actually do need one.

The BBC offers terrific services without adverts. If anyone in this situation are b+stards, it is the guilty ones who aren't very poor and take something for nothing outside the law, so that other people are effectively subsidising them.

As for being "AMBIGUOUS", I suspect that the reminders mention their website and possibly a phone number or email address from which you can get clarification, or you can search the internet or get advice from a post office.
Website https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/telling-us-you-dont-need-a-tv-licence includes:-
"No TV? Not watching live TV on any channel, or BBC programmes on iPlayer? Empty property? You can let us know here.
You don’t need a TV Licence if you:
never watch or record programmes on any channel as they’re being shown on TV or live on an online TV service, and
never download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer – live, catch up or on demand.
This could be on any device, including a TV, desktop computer, laptop, mobile phone, tablet, games console, digital box or DVD/VHS recorder."

The TV licensing website says "After your 75th birthday, you can get a free TV Licence. It covers you as well as anyone you live with."
And "If you are blind (severely sight impaired) and can provide the appropriate evidence, you are eligible to apply for a 50% concession. Your licence will also cover anyone who lives with you."
So numerous people, even under 75 and with good eyesight, benefit from these concessions.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 7-Feb-2019 23:23 Message #4734788
I recognise your frustration Beach. For my part, what tv!, I have freeview with numerous channels that are either copies of other channels or repeats of long past programmes. The main channels BBC, ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5, seem to have very few and far between programmes worth watching, all in all, pretty rubbish tv...and don't get me started on the 24 hour viewing thing...absolute rubbish.

Is it right the license fee is going up next year? if it does, the telly goes, I did without one for over 12 years I can do without again.
Male
Beach  Male  Dorset 7-Feb-2019 23:38 Message #4734791
Thanks, Terry. I appreciate your solidarity.

Dear Jeff,

"I must stay calm. I must stay calm."

Jeff.

"Just let it go, Chris … Seriously, just bite your lip"

Jeff …

No. Forget it, Jeff. It doesn't matter.

I'm out of this room. x
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 8-Feb-2019 12:06 Message #4734819
beach,

they are very nice people at tvl...no really, they are...;¬)

in 2014 i rang them to say i now had a smart tv and would only be watching catch up, so wouldnt need a license.

they said "thats fine, we,ll make a note and every two years we, ll send you a letter asking if the circumstances have changed.
i send the letter back stating "same old" and thats it !!
Male
mancers  Male  Greater Manchester 8-Feb-2019 13:13 Message #4734828
I agree with OTB they are parasites who could learn a bit of civility, sending threatening letters to all and sundry, what about a nicely worded reminder, yo u twats!!

Female
Bewildered  Female  Norfolk 8-Feb-2019 14:30 Message #4734832
Ahem, so thats a no then

I will have, to continue to pay even if never watched another BBC channel.

Also thinking about my mum as they are abolishing free licences for the over 70s...

I think it wrong, that you pay the BBC even thought there are now so many more channels...
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London 8-Feb-2019 14:57 Message #4734835
I can't help thinking the BBC is good value for money even if only watched occcasionally and most viewrers watch it regularly. The main channels show some reasonable dramas and documentaries. I don't watch a lot of tv but I do find BBC4 has some very watchable programmes. The BBC also provide excellent quality radio for those who would rather close their eyes and listen.

The BBC are threatening to stop the licence concessions to the elderly which is unfair and may just be a bluff to veer complainers away from paying the fee and concentrate them on the free licence for the elderly.

I don't think you would find much else to enjoy at around £3.00 per week.
Female
wholelottakaren  Female  Lincolnshire 8-Feb-2019 18:35 Message #4734842
Most of the terrestrial tv that I watch is BBC and I think it is good quality stuff. I object to the wage bills for nonentity radio presenters
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 8-Feb-2019 20:14 Message #4734855
The television and film industries waste millions of pounds on inflated wages and unnecessary spending. Handy for those employed in the industry though.
Male
OnlineMSE  Male  Essex 8-Feb-2019 21:21 Message #4734860
Unlucky Bunny, looks like free TV licence for the over 75's is coming to an end.
But why should you get a free licence together with council tax when you retire?
It's not like you suddenly don't use council services after that age.
Female
Harley44  Female  the Isle of Wight 8-Feb-2019 23:20 Message #4734867
You still pay council tax when you're 75 and over. You just get a reduction (same as anyone else) which is dependent on your monthly income, ie pension etc.
Male
Good2BWith  Male  West Yorkshire 9-Feb-2019 02:59 Message #4734875
- Shifting the bill for a Free TV licence for 75 y o is a cynical Tory move, making the BBC responsible for a Social Benefit
- Not paying for your TV licence because you watch it online is Fraud. Just like Companies who Off-shore their registered offices to avoid paying taxes, but are happy to exploit the education, health & welfare systems paid for by those who do pay tax.

"You just get a reduction (same as anyone else) which is dependent on your monthly income, ie pension etc."
WRONG, the basis for Council Tax is a system partially reflecting the older Rates assessment.
Female
Bewildered  Female  Norfolk 9-Feb-2019 07:07 Message #4734879
Council tax is not reduced for the elder. If you are on benefits at any age you get a reduction, also if you live alone but not because you are elderly .
Male
MikeC  Male  West Yorkshire 13-Feb-2019 19:20 Message #4735200
You need to be covered by a TV Licence to
watch or record programmes as they’re being shown on TV or live on an online TV service
download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer.
This applies to any provider you use and any device, including a TV, desktop computer, laptop, mobile phone, tablet, games console, digital box or DVD/VHS recorder.

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one
Male
Good2BWith  Male  West Yorkshire 22-Feb-2019 19:48 Message #4735838
OnlineMSE 8-Feb-2019 21:21
"But why should you get a free (TV) licence ... when you retire?"
---
WoW! Have the Austerity Based, Bonkers Brexiter Tories raised the retirement age to 75?
Female
Clocky  Female  the West Midlands 22-Feb-2019 20:14 Message #4735840
Do people in other countries that get access to the BBC stuff have to have a license?

1 2 Next >  Last >> 

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »