Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

The madness of the Strasburg Shift

once a month, up sticks EU

Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 6-Feb-2019 13:56 Message #4734613
The French inist on it and , once a month for just 4 days, the EU moves city . All 751 of its MEPs and everyone else who works at the EU parliament movee offices and work, from one city to another at a cost of £150M per year . The MEP staff arrive in Strasburg by train, plane, coach and car, (Brussels to Strasburg ) Not just the MEP's moving city, but all their paperwork has to go in a fleet of lorries and has become a tourist attraction.

Just a bit of useless in formation, amongst the MEP are a former Miss italy, a convicted IRA bomber turned politician , a champion Poker player and a County Cricketer called Dan Dalton... you all wanted to know that didnt you. ...lol

Come on folks, are we really getting value for our money ???
Male
Jeff  Male  East Sussex 6-Feb-2019 15:00 Message #4734618
I agree that the EU parliament is too expensive, and some aspects of it are ridiculous and even corrupt.

If people vote in free and fair elections with relevant knowledge for a former Miss italy, a convicted IRA bomber turned politician, a champion Poker player and a County Cricketer, then we should accept their vote.
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 6-Feb-2019 15:25 Message #4734621
and the annual accounts have never been signed off...sez it all to me.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 6-Feb-2019 15:53 Message #4734626
I completely agree with you Fozy, but a spokesman for the EU now says htat the accs are more or less signed off now up till 2003 ( or maybe 2005) with only a margin of 3.5% error. BTW margins of 3.5% are not permitted with the HMRC here. So the fatcats are getting fatter, so are their Pensions. And all of us here are still financing it .
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 6-Feb-2019 22:53 Message #4734678
even if they MIGHT now be signed off upto 2005, its another fudge.

would a company be able to do "back dated" acc,s?

and if anything was wrong with the accounts who would know exactly the income and expenditure from thirteen years ago, not to mention the change in personnel over that period that would cloud the issue further.

yep, still stinks !
Male
Otb  Male  Dorset 7-Feb-2019 00:39 Message #4734681
Well … I don't understand the pie chart but the 2015 EU annual budget, (described here) http://ec.europa.eu/budget/annual/index_en.cfm?year=2015 seems to indicate a figure of approx. 160 Billion euros. (Does that seem about right?)

With a margin of error of 3.5% on 160 billion euros, I imagine you could feed a whole continent of fat cats for a very, very, very, very, very, very long time if you stashed such a sum under the mountains of mattresses of the EU!
Male
OnlineMSE  Male  Essex 7-Feb-2019 08:35 Message #4734692
Although the original text appears to be a direct cut & paste from a SKY News item from May 2016 as
it was reckoned to have cost c.€114m in 2014 so who knows what the figure would be today.
It's France's right of veto, that any of the bloc have, which is why the EU have not attempted to change the arrangement, as it's known that they would vote against it.
It is a significant location for Franco-German relationships given the area has been subject to control by both nations, so you can understand their objections to change it.
I'm not pro EU however we can't criticize when the UK have exercised their right of veto numerous times, and Cameron didn't exactly endear himself to Sarkozy when he was the only member to vote against France's proposals during the Euro crisis. All of that sowed the seeds of Cameron having to call the referendum when France was instrumental in blocking anything Cameron wanted during the Emergency Brake on free movement across the bloc discussions.
Ironically back in day de Gaulle vetoed the UK's application to join the Common Market in 1963 and in 1967.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »