Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Age on the body doth creep, when the mind makes

appointments, the body cant keep.

Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 5-Feb-2019 10:54 Message #4734538
I know we are all getting older, we cant change it. Does it worry you at all. Sometimes, when I look in the mirror, I see my mum... lol

All my life I adored Robert Redford, but recently I saw him on TV & he looked terrible. I felt so sorry for him. For someone who was so 'beautiful', it must be very sad to see the age-ing factor. I suppose other things take over one's life, like health & happiness.

Is it something you think about at all ?

V x
Male
badman  Male  Suffolk 5-Feb-2019 11:07 Message #4734540
I know exactly how you feel V. I look in the mirror and see my dad.

I had a thing about Jane Fonda. Age has not been good to her.

But... inside, I'm still a naughty schoolboy. I refuse to grow old respectfully.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 5-Feb-2019 11:10 Message #4734541
I was never a "pretty" girl or young woman, I never had that label hung on me, if anything I had the opposite, now I'm older I get told how young I look, what good skin I have and how well I compare to others of my age and younger. I say thank you for politeness sake, but thats about it, all the years of feeling like I'd been hit with the ugly stick, were character forming, not being "pretty" gave me the freedom to develop in other ways that wern't about societies standards of attractiveness, one of those ways was questioning those standards and the recognition of how unhelpful and unhealthy they are. I remember my ex best friend getting really worried in her mid to late thirties that she was loosing her looks, looks she'd always traded on, that she'd ignored everything else and needed to develop in ways that didn't involve looks.

The other thing I really believe is that as you age who you are on the inside shows more and more on the outside, a bitter, miserly person has deep downward lines of disatisfaction around a mouth thats pursed from looking disaprovingly at the world. The eyes go hard and have downward lines from squinting disaprovingly at the world, in a happy, loving person who's open to the world, may have the same lines but they have a sort of upward tilt from smiling, the eyes are open and shining.

The only thing that worries me is my eyelids, particularly the right one are getting heavier and in a decade or so I may need some cosmetic work done on them so as I can open my eyes.
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 5-Feb-2019 11:10 Message #4734542
i dont see my dad...

he legged it before my eyes opened !

maybe he knew what was coming ;¬)
Male
badman  Male  Suffolk 5-Feb-2019 11:14 Message #4734544
Fozy, you twat. Spat my coffee. lol.
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 5-Feb-2019 11:18 Message #4734545
hope you missed the screen and keyboard, badders !!
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 5-Feb-2019 12:11 Message #4734549
I'm not far off the age when my Dad died. He was 64. It seems really strange that I am only 2 and a half years away. RIP Dad.

With regards to people ageing, although I think the natural ageing process is much better than a lot of the ridiculous cosmetic surgery stuff, some people haven't aged very well, some unfortunately due to ill health.

I remember seeing a news item about the actor Terry Thomas, during his final years. It was really sad.

And some others I can think of, celebrities who I have liked over the years are:-

Richard O Sullivan - Man about the house and Robins nest, amongst other things.

Teri Garr - Actress, who I have always had a major crush on. Sadly now in a wheelchair with severe MS and having had a brain aneurysm.

Shelley Duvall - Actress, the iconic 'Shining' horror picture, and Olive Oil. Ageing badly, as well as mental illness.

Very sad to see.
Female
Ilsmileforu  Female  Durham 5-Feb-2019 13:10 Message #4734554
I never used to think about age as I was fit, until 11 months ago.
Now I do sometimes think about it.
Female
Mumsie  Female  Warwickshire 5-Feb-2019 14:52 Message #4734561
am feeling the age , too much these days as body goes rapidly downhill
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 5-Feb-2019 15:04 Message #4734564
What made me think about it was, when I got up, the other morning my partner said "your legs are quite good for your age, but the thighs might need ironing soon ". I rolled about with laughter, but it made me think.
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside 5-Feb-2019 17:57 Message #4734568
I think we only see it ourselves...a woman asked me the other day if I recognised her...….
er no sorry...…….(thinking have I got dementia)
she gave me her name adding ,,my mum and dad fostered you when I was ten...……….lol that was 40 years ago I replied...…….lol.lol

she said...you haven't changed I so recognised you...…….

so there ya go...……….I looked 55 when I was 15...……..just my body has now caught up with my face...…….lol.lol.
Female
Woosey  Female  North Yorkshire 5-Feb-2019 18:55 Message #4734579
Lol at Euro, you're just gorgeous.

Woosey xxx
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside 5-Feb-2019 19:03 Message #4734581
oh woosey, it so took me back in time meeting her...…weird,,,lol
Female
leogirl  Female  Essex 5-Feb-2019 23:11 Message #4734599
same as Ilsmile for you.
I have been lucky to stay quite fit and healthy for a long time, but suddenly I lost the spirit to pretend I am 10 years younger.

leogirl.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »