Conversation The Forum
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

My Loneliness is killing me, sang Britney Spears

But humanitys bubble wrap loneliness is off the scale

Male
Beach  Male  Dorset 5-Feb-2019 01:48 Message #4734526
Star Trek and similar Star Wars type science fiction tales paint a picture of “humanity exploring the universe” and boldly going where no man has gone before …

There is nothing wrong with such a sentiment except our own Milky Way galaxy, (just one galaxy in the local group of 54+ galaxies in the cosmic bubble of our particular back yard, is over 100,000 light years across; meaning, even if we mastered speed of light travel, it would take us, theoretically, 100,000 years to even cross just The Milky Way.

Trouble is … being only one of 54+ other local galaxies in the local group, we would have to travel 10 million light years to even leave that local group behind. :-(

And, when we consider that our local group of galaxies represents about 0001%, (Or is it 0001%?), of the whole universe, we can see that any concept of exploring the universe is just … well … pure fantasy.

Even our aspirations of reaching, (and colonising) Mars, seen in such Beachy perspective, is no more an adventure, distance wise, than taking a five minute drive down to Morrisions or Lidl. Yeah, I like Lidl.

And having the misfortune of holding such bizarre, impossible thoughts in this head of mind, I am often brought back to the wildlife pond at the bottom of my Beach Cottage garden.

I mean. To the seventy goldfish in my own pond, their whole universe comprises of a 12ft x 6ft footprint and, even if they were given some equivalent intelligence to us humans, they would still struggle to comprehend that there could be anything beyond the aquatic curtilage or environs of their own little pond … let alone contemplate visiting other ponds.

Equally, I think to myself why am I presenting such profound thoughts on a site like Midsummer, (where I can expect a readership of 0001% compared with other forum based sites I inhabit), … except that’s the point.

Whether I am broadcasting to 20, 200, 2000 or 20,000 souls, the terrifying reality is that my loneliness is killing me and, in the entire scheme of things, none of this thing we call LIFE, (when compared with the enormity of the whole universe), really accounts for anything at all. :-(

Oh yeah … and the last thing …

Apparently, the universe consists of 74% of dark energy and 22% of dark matter, (neither of which we can see or understand) … and only 4% of the “stuff” we even understand.

So … not only do we only live in 0001% of the universe we think we know but, to really kick us when we are down, we only know about 4% of that 0001%.

If the universe was a hundred billion mile long roll of bubble wrap, we'd occupy just one bubble!

What a bummer! :-(
Male
Beach  Male  Dorset 5-Feb-2019 01:57 Message #4734527
BTW. My 0001% figures are inaccurate now … because Midsummer knocked off the ooo1% figures I, originally, wrote. (I wonder if Midsummer will shorten my list of ooo's like it shortened my list of 000s?

Needless to say, those percentages were originally written as Googolplexes. ie LOTS and lots of zeros. :-)
Male
Beach  Male  Dorset 5-Feb-2019 02:29 Message #4734528
And, of course, the other thing about ‘Being human’ is that we pat ourselves on the back for, so called, “discovering the atom” or “working out planetary motion” or “unravelling the mysteries of DNA” … giving ourselves Nobel prizes for such work.

BUT …

What is so profound about “discovering” stuff?

That’s like picking up a book of poetry and simply reading out the words …

I mean … sure … the CREATOR of such poetry might deserve praise BUT … merely reading the work of another, parrot fashion, is hardly creative. YET … that is exactly what we do when we discover and learn of the workings of the universe. (The part of the universe we know, that is).

I’m not a religious man. I don’t, particularly, believe in a creator in some biblical sense but … for goodness sake, HOW has nature formulated, created and manifest the utter, utter wonders of the world you and I know?

Is it a case of “given enough time”, atoms and stuff will form and reform to create … some interactive feedback device … like an EYE?

Has nature had enough billions of years to develop some kind of nervous system … by trial and error?

DNA is a software program … it really is … to the point it can be manipulated by our own computer programmers.

HOW have these miraculous events taken place … out there … in the blackness of space … being NOT the hand or ingenuity of man?

Should I be considering the hand of … a God … or some alien programmer … to explain the miracles of life … or the orbits of stars and galaxies?

WE didn’t create any of these things …

Doesn’t stop us humans from reading the poetry of existence though, does it … while, (wrongly), claiming to be a part of it …

By, merely, uncovering such miracles.

We may be clever in discovering, reading, mapping or deciphering the make-up of our world … our universe …

But I wonder who, (or what), actually made it?
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 5-Feb-2019 06:26 Message #4734529
Well, at 6 o'clock in the morning, I doubt very much that I can do the subject any justice, but the same could be said for any other o'clock of the day.

It all blows my mind so much, that I have to stop thinking about it all.

Out of the billions of things out there, we have only been to the moon. I say we, because, well, because, I like taking a bit of credit for it. I watched the first landing on a school telly that they wheeled in for us, so I did my bit.

We have also sent some incredible things to Mars, some lasting years and year longer than they thought, and we ( me included again ) haven't seen any martians yet, or any crisp packets blowing about, or Earth Bar wrappers.

And there have been a few other discoveries and things going on.

Incredible stuff, it really is...but as you say, only an extremely small percentage of what is really out there.

I read somewhere recently that they discovered a new noise coming from somewhere. 'They' think it may be coming from another universe or something, although I say 'they' instead of 'we', because i haven't got the article in front of me, and I can't remember what it actually said. Things like that though always seem to contain the words 'may be'.

As I say though, the whole thing of what 'may be' out there blows my mind, so i have to stop thinking about it, and think about now, and things like whether I have got enough toilet roll for today, otherwise there 'may be' a major incident in the Stu house.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 5-Feb-2019 10:48 Message #4734537
now, what are you lot on , cos I think I want some too.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 5-Feb-2019 11:32 Message #4734546
Some people would think my world is very small, I have few friends and don't go out much or travel, I've not been east of Bangor for the best part of a year and I don't really want to I found it terrifying. But in my microcosm I have found vastness, I look and really see, I listen and really hear, I interact with a whole load of other species, I find it profoundly humbling that I'm a part of the lives of other creatures just as much as they are part of mine.

Maybe you should stop looking up and look down instead? Or look in rather than out, it dosen't really matter how you describe it. If you find a connection through the work of others even if they're far away in time and/or space from you, does it matter? I wonder if your knowlege is getting in the way of your experience? I know that sounds like an odd statement, but sometimes what we think we know, our explainations stop us from feeling, it keeps us in the analytical parts of the brain, sometimes feeling an explaination or an answer is more important than simply knowing it.

I think the universe is a big lesson in acceptance, its far bigger, older and mysterious than we can imagine and if we did happen across all its secrets could our minds encompass them? Or would our brains turn to mush and dribble out of our ears? I think we should just accept it as it is, thats not to say we shouldn't explore it and engage with it as I think we should, but I think we should see it as a two way process and not us acting upon inert unfeeling matter but with a sentience that wants to engage with us.
Female
BunnyGirl  Female  Buckinghamshire 5-Feb-2019 23:07 Message #4734598
I used to think when i was about 15 years old where did it all start? How did the world begin?
Was God always here? Who was the first person to create Earth and everything in it. But it got
to the point that everything i was asking in myself brought another question and so on. So now
although still wondering what are we all really on this Earth for? People say it is for God but who
is God no one knows only surmise that is what they think. I do not know so how do they know!
Anyway you can get one self in such a dilemma it blows your mind. One will never know maybe
when we die but who knows. So what is thr best thing to do while on this Earth. For me it is to
treat people the best way i can and hope they treat me the same Oh one more thing is do you not
wonder how a man can give children and a woman bears them. Is not that a miracle that a human
or animals can create babies that grow up into adults whatever the species. So the questions still
carries on and on wondering. For me anyway.
Male
Beach  Male  Dorset 6-Feb-2019 14:59 Message #4734617
Most of you are in agreement then?

We are inconsequential little specks of life, no more important or special than, say, the microbial lifeforms found scuttling around on the outside surfaces of the International Space Station … and the importance we grant ourselves in demonstrating our ingenuity or prowess is no more acknowledged than some soldier ant defiantly facing and bracing for some external threat … with body language set … and raised pincers poised and prepared to defend a nest or hold firm territorially.

Likewise; A grizzly bear marks territory by urinating at its cave entrance while we humans mark territory by building mile high skyscrapers.

One act no more meaningful than the other.

"I wonder if your knowledge is getting in the way of your experience?"

As to philosophising such things, Hen? I'd comment that pot smoking inhibits appreciation of "the out there" anyway AND, by indulging in such artificial inner exploration, (with a marijuana based THC chemical supplanting any real sense of inner wisdom), perhaps, your manufactured pseudo style euphoria is no better (or worse) a representation of existence than my own, unsullied, hyper-sensitive one.

It is an interesting thought though.

I mean; Knowledge and experience does lie side by side between the folds of our physical brain … and I guess we could experiment or investigate to learn if knowledge begets (brings about) experience … or the other way around. :-)

I am not afflicted by these profound thoughts anyway. I feel they enhance rather than inhibit my respect, understanding or wondering in amazement of this world.

Taking some philosophical route down the path of our importance (or otherwise), is a topic I could spend hours debating or writing upon but, as you will have observed, (above), I simply laid out some stark, scary numbers … just to address the cold, steely, truth … that, in the scheme of things, (and even to a nature that might be vaguely aware of us), we don't warrant as much as a second glance … even if we were big enough to show up on some scale somewhere or another.

SCALE being an appropriate word when we consider the terrifying enormity of the universe compared to what we humans think we know.

Our 'local group' of galaxies, (10 million light years across), is like a little helium balloon released and sent into the sky … to fly up, up, up … till it is just a little speck … and then, (visually), no more.

Our universe, with its 100 BILLION galaxies are the equivalent of a 100 billion little helium balloons all released together to float up into the sky.

And like all those helium balloons, every one of those 100 billion galaxies are floating away from each other, drifting further apart over time. The mechanism for this occurrence, in astronomy, is called "inflation".

Such a thing explains why we humans can never explore the universe. :-(
Male
Beach  Male  Dorset 6-Feb-2019 15:13 Message #4734619
Most of you are in agreement then?

We are inconsequential little specks of life, no more important or special than, say, the microbial lifeforms found scuttling around on the outside surfaces of the International Space Station … and the importance we grant ourselves in demonstrating our ingenuity or prowess is no more acknowledged than some soldier ant defiantly facing and bracing for some external threat … with body language set … and raised pincers poised and prepared to defend a nest or hold firm territorially.

Likewise; A grizzly bear marks territory by urinating at its cave entrance while we humans mark territory by building mile high skyscrapers.

One act no more meaningful than the other.

"I wonder if your knowledge is getting in the way of your experience?"

As to philosophising such things, Hen? I'd comment that pot smoking inhibits appreciation of "the out there" anyway AND, by indulging in such artificial inner exploration, (with a marijuana based THC chemical supplanting any real sense of inner wisdom), perhaps, your manufactured pseudo style euphoria is no better (or worse) a representation of existence than my own, unsullied, hyper-sensitive one.

It is an interesting thought though.

I mean; Knowledge and experience does lie side by side between the folds of our physical brain … and I guess we could experiment or investigate to learn if knowledge begets (brings about) experience … or the other way around. :-)

I am not afflicted by these profound thoughts anyway. I feel they enhance rather than inhibit my respect, understanding or wondering in amazement of this world.

Taking some philosophical route down the path of our importance (or otherwise), is a topic I could spend hours debating or writing upon but, as you will have observed, (above), I simply laid out some stark, scary numbers … just to address the cold, steely, truth … that, in the scheme of things, (and even to a nature that might be vaguely aware of us), we don't warrant as much as a second glance … even if we were big enough to show up on some scale somewhere or another.

SCALE being an appropriate word when we consider the terrifying enormity of the universe compared to what we humans think we know.

Our 'local group' of galaxies, (10 million light years across), is like a little helium balloon released and sent into the sky … to fly up, up, up … till it is just a little speck … and then, (visually), no more.

Our universe, with its 100 BILLION galaxies are the equivalent of a 100 billion little helium balloons all released together to float up into the sky.

And like all those helium balloons, every one of those 100 billion galaxies are floating away from each other, drifting further apart over time. The mechanism for this occurrence, in astronomy, is called "inflation".

Such a thing explains why we humans can never explore the universe. :-(
Male
Beach  Male  Dorset 6-Feb-2019 15:14 Message #4734620
All we can ever do is explore 'the local group' of stars and galaxies that our, particular, helium balloon contains … while the rest of the universe continues to inflate/expand/run away from us at ever increasing rates.

We are lucky being born in the time we have been born in.

Future humans, should humanity last for such a vast time, would one day look up into the heavens and see nothing … nothing but blackness … and, even if they had tools and telescopes and other means of exploring the heavens, one day … there would be nothing to see.

All those other 100 Billion helium balloon galaxies would have float off too high … and too far away to see anymore.
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 6-Feb-2019 15:34 Message #4734623
Now, my facts and figures here might be way off the mark, but we constantly read things about discoveries that have happened because of space exploration.

Some are facts, some are myths. I think one of the myths is that Teflon was created during the Apollo exploration, but it was actually created way before that, and one that I read about is that smartphone cameras came about through space exploration. I think that is true, but there is probably something that proves it wrong.

Many other myths and facts exist. But some are definitely facts...well, I say definitely...

Another thing about trying to go anywhere really really far away. Whether going at the speed of light, the speed of a motorway, or the speed of a tractor, it would take hundreds and hundreds of years to get there, maybe thousands of years.

How does that all work? The adults starting out, even if they took new born babies with them, would all be dead in a normal lifetime, the newborns, even if they lived to 100, would then die. In the meantime, interbreeding would be taking place, and we know what hideous things that can create. So in a few hundred years, what the hell would be on that spacecraft?.. and they wouldn't even be a quarter of the way there yet.

I think I will stay here actually. I have gone off the idea of going with them.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 6-Feb-2019 17:24 Message #4734632
Is this more an exploration of personal loneliness? emotional as opposed to physical?
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 6-Feb-2019 18:59 Message #4734644
Good point Terry. Just because I smoke the odd spliff, dosent' mean that what I wrote any less "real", perception, is still perception no matter what you're under the influence of and we're all under the inflluence of something or someone. The trouble is SoB, you ask such big questions, you know what you mean, but how are others supposed to respond? I can only guess and say what I percieve when I read something and maybe pick up on a few points, you percieve it as me being stoned, thats OK, but whilst I agree with us all being tiny specks in the universe, I'm OK with that, why wouldn't I be, why should we feel the need to be bigger and more important?
Male
Beach  Male  Dorset 6-Feb-2019 21:08 Message #4734663
"Is this more an exploration of personal loneliness? emotional as opposed to physical?"

YES. Bang on, Terry! … and thank you. And yes, Hen, as I explain, below, it isn't always easy to convey such thoughts adequately sometimes.

I did wonder if my theme would earth in the manner I had wished for though held no faith that the underlying premise would be recognised, let alone commented upon. (Though, I guess, it doesn’t really need to be).

The title of this original post, a famous Britney Spears track, sets the scene emotively AND my early reference to lamenting the fact that I might be writing to no more than a small handful of Midsummer ‘readers’ elaborated upon that point.

I had been questioning myself as to just why I often return to Midsummer to end an evening out in the real world aware that, really, I am simply using MSE as a familiar watering hole in, just about, the same way I often pick up and wear a threadbare hacking jacket rather than some smart item of apparel.

I’m comfortable writing to Midsummer … and I’ve been writing this way within Midsummer, on and off, for 15 years.

The loneliness isn’t some personal crisis, a cry for help or anything remotely profound. Rather, it is the realisation of the fact that, by having a target, a purpose, an audience to write to, I can use Midsummer as a device to inspire my creativity when it comes to putting pen to paper.

The difference, these days, is poignant though because, unlike in previous years, I know there will only ever be a small number of other humans even reading my words. :-(

That’s all fine though as a writing exercise and you guys, (along with other, larger forums), act as the foil to enable me to create the material I decant into my own personal website on a daily/weekly basis. Staring at a wall while attempting to compose anything meaningful is futile whereas addressing some target audience gets the ink flowing. :-)

With all that said, I will reveal that the idea of mating the above sentiments with the universe, (or, at least, the local group of galaxies I’ve tried to set as a backdrop), came to me while I was staring up at the stars from the smoking shed of The Hope and Anchor on Monday night.

It was a serene evening, about 9pm, and I was just staring into space in a watering hole that, usually, is vibrant and full of life but, this evening, there was just me and the stars. And … like we all do from time to time … I was thinking … “What is it all about … really”.And, already aware of the story of just how tiny we all are in the whole scheme of things, I guess I just wanted to share my own thought processes.

By the time I walked back into the bar, (it being such a quite night), I was already amusing myself by formulating the gist, the essence of the thread I posted up at 1.48am. (Though I was home composing the thread an hour or two before then).

Rather than being some hand wringing essay on loneliness par se, I was merely attempting to convey the reality of humanity’s loneliness in the fabric of the universe.

And that realisation is an emotional one.

Male
Beach  Male  Dorset 6-Feb-2019 21:16 Message #4734665
Ha ha, tumbleweed. :-)

Yes. Even a modest 2 year round trip to Mars is going to be a psychological nightmare for any brave astronauts likely to embark on such a trip, probably, within the next 5 or 6 years. (My money is on Elon Musk's Space X company beginning such an adventure in the next couple of years … though the first ship is taking supplies and robotic equipment to generate resources first).

Look out for the first human's stepping out onto the red planet sometime in or around about 2024 - 2025.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »