Conversation Society, News and Sport
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Stockpiling in case of a

no deal

1 2 Next >  Last >> 

Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 4-Feb-2019 18:42 Message #4734505
Is anyone worried about how a no deal brexit will impact on food and stuff? Without getting into if we think brexit is a good/bad thing, if its been handled well or not, project fear etc, I think we all know what each other thinks about it by now, what would you lay in a store of? I'm building up my own litle stock of chocolate and I may lay in a few bags of coffee, like would be unbearable without chocolate and coffee, for everyone around me as much as for myself.

Mind you, I heard tonight on the news that in the event of no deal, lorries would just come off the ferries without any additional checks or anything.
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 4-Feb-2019 18:47 Message #4734506
Oh no...The panic buyers wills be out in force. There will be no bread, no milk, no nothing. Pictures in the papers of empty shelves...sad faces of everyone begging...

Don't panic Mr Mainwaring!
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 4-Feb-2019 18:49 Message #4734507
I sort of see it as being like xmas but worse, you know how people sem to panic when nthe shops are going to be shut for 24 hours, you'd think people were stocking up for a siege!
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 4-Feb-2019 18:56 Message #4734508
I'm a cynical old sod, so hearing supermarkets, who apparently had a "crap" Christmas, stirring up fear by basically encouraging people to stockpile sounds dodgy to me.
I won't stockpile anything...
Male
warmundeft  Male  Wrexham 4-Feb-2019 19:19 Message #4734510
Well now, audit of the reserves held at Fort Warmundef seem adequate - the makings for bread, beer and baccy being sufficient to endure for a while. From the garden, well, I suspect that even my favourite Purple Sprouting Broccoli might get a bit 'samey' before very long, still, there's all sort of edibles hunkered down beneath the soil - not long now before it breaks through.
As for the marauding, starving mobs - well, those that get through the defences - survivors will be shot (and maybe eaten).
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 4-Feb-2019 19:30 Message #4734511
What happened before the EU - did we need to stockpile then I wonder. I cant really remember.

When the Gulf War happened, my neighbours at the time, stockpiled bottled water, food, medicines, gaz containers, and all sorts of other things. They still have some of them, as, of course none were used. Their garages have been full for years. Its a bit of a joke when I see them now.

Mind you, since the snow, and our electric problems of last year, we have made sure we have gaz heaters and lights etc,
Male
barney  Male  Surrey 4-Feb-2019 20:57 Message #4734513
I am not going to stockpile anything.

It could work to the Government's advantage. They keep going on about how obese everyone is. Rationing should slim them down lol.
Male
Son-of-a-Beach  Male  Dorset 4-Feb-2019 21:03 Message #4734514
As stated elsewhere on these pages, I take a titchy little white pill, (of the lowest dose), to counter an irrational fear relating to my heart … though extensive tests have established there is little wrong with it; Nevertheless, without the comforting knowledge that I've taken the tablet, my mind has a disturbing habit of "thinking the worse", setting me up for waves of anxiety that CAN make my heart beat faster in my chest … turning an imaginary fear into a full blown, physical, one where the heart really does race. (That happened just once but …)

With the pill … life goes on just sweet and dandy. Without it … Well … I mustn't dwell on such things. :-(

I get the pills on prescription, a month's worth at a time. The thought of not having them available, perhaps, due to some administrative/shipping delay thing would see me climbing walls! :-(

I'd purchase them independently if that were possible, to ensure I had a sufficient supply but they can only be prescribed by a doctor.

"Serves you right, Beach, for voting to leave!"

YEP. I have said all along, as an inventor, that I voted to leave, fundamentally, to create a recalibration of our society … to enable us … FORCE US … to have a fresh chance to rebuild our place in the world with some invigorating new passion … separating the chaff from the wheat.

Maybe I'll become the chaff. :-(
Female
bella111  Female  Devon 4-Feb-2019 21:08 Message #4734515
That is what I was thinking Barney I need to go on a diet but no need now as there will be no food
I can just survive on water for a couple of months, until Africa does a Live Aid for us and the migrants
can bring it over on their Rubber Boats!.
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside 4-Feb-2019 21:14 Message #4734516
we have farmers who have meat and chickens and cows...and wheat...bacon and egg butty diets...lol
Male
Son-of-a-Beach  Male  Dorset 4-Feb-2019 22:00 Message #4734518
… and Lidl won't let us down! :-)
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside 4-Feb-2019 22:11 Message #4734519
hope aldi don't either, they are only round the corner...lol
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 4-Feb-2019 22:55 Message #4734523
one hopes ones harrods hamper will not be affected...

;¬)
Female
bella111  Female  Devon 4-Feb-2019 23:18 Message #4734524
Oh Fosy )-)))

Male
barney  Male  Surrey 5-Feb-2019 07:54 Message #4734531
Someone on Question Time was moaning that there might be a problem getting lettuces from abroad.

What about eating seasonal like we used to do.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 5-Feb-2019 10:55 Message #4734539
I think most of our wheat comes from abroad at this time of year, we will have meat, great for those of you who can eat it.

I agree that we could do with eating more seasonally, but ye gods, does anyone really want to go back to the days of winter fresh veg being celery and cabbage with a side of pickled beetroot?
Male
barney  Male  Surrey 5-Feb-2019 12:09 Message #4734548
80% to 85% of wheat we use is homegrown so no problem there. Because of the grain mountain years ago a lot of farmland is now set aside so we could grow more stuff if we had to.
Also remember the same thing happened with milk and butter etc. Our farms are some of the best in the World for producing stuff but the EU doesn't like that.
A lot of farms in the EU are still in the middle ages, a few hens, pigs, cows and goats so they have to subsidise them.

I love cabbage, especially savoy and kale.
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 5-Feb-2019 12:49 Message #4734552
There will be ration books, powdered egg, no bananas, land girls ( although that would now be sexist ), Americans bringing Nylons for the girls ( although that would now be sexist )

It would be just like 'the good old days' that people talk about.
Female
Sea Urchin  Female  Essex 5-Feb-2019 14:04 Message #4734556
I will not stockpile anything. Not sure there is much I could if I wanted to. I like fresh fruit and vegetables and salad things and buy fresh fish and chicken and all woud just go mouldy and well off. Maybe a bag of jumbo oats but even that would have a shelf life. Of course there is always nettle tea and blackberries for free. : -)
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 5-Feb-2019 16:57 Message #4734566
Being celiac, a wheat shortage wouldn't trouble me. Just hope we don't get potato blight.
Female
justfem  Female  Cambridgeshire 5-Feb-2019 18:33 Message #4734573
Oh the irony. Taken from Aldi's website:

"As part of Aldi’s commitment to championing Great British quality we source many of our products via British suppliers.
In fact 100% of our fresh everyday meat and poultry in the UK is from British, Red Tractor approved farms. More than 40% of the fresh fruit and vegetables we sell in the UK are also British."
Male
barney  Male  Surrey 5-Feb-2019 20:22 Message #4734588
Good for them.

I only ever buy British.
Female
justfem  Female  Cambridgeshire 5-Feb-2019 20:31 Message #4734589
When you think about it Aldi have made a good move as far as the Brexit effect is concerned because they will already have contracts in place with those relevant to them in UK industry. That's going to bypass port issues. Not only that but they could claim to have a low carbon footprint.
Male
Son-of-a-Beach  Male  Dorset 8-Feb-2019 17:48 Message #4734840
What was the irony, Justfem? I didn't understand your sentence. Has it got something to do with Aldi being a European company? (German?)

I must be having a blonde moment … if I am even allowed to utter such a phrase in these challenging times!!! :-)
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire 9-Feb-2019 19:51 Message #4734922
I might get in an extra pack of toilet rolls, just in case. I remember the great toilet paper shortage of the , when was it? the 70s? 4 extra rolls should last me about a month.

Anybody remember the great potato shortage of 1975? This was caused by poor harvests in 1974 and 75. The cost of spuds soared. We had to beg Brussels to allow us to import from non EEU countries. It was about this time we also had the great sugar shortage.

The thought of maybe not being able to get rock hard, tasteless toms or limp, heartless lettuce from Spain won't cause me any grief but it will ruin what is left of the Spanish economy. But what will the poor Milleniels do without their precious Avocados? They will go into meltdown.

1 2 Next >  Last >> 

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »