Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

phones...

do you still have a

Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside 3-Feb-2019 18:27 Message #4734460
landline, or just a mobile?...so many people I know do not have landlines anymore...………..
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 3-Feb-2019 18:34 Message #4734461
Still have both, our signal is not good here as we are in a sort of valley, so we need both but I know a lot of people who now only have mobiles. I dislike my mobile cos you need to carry it with you all the time. I hate being 'available' and dont like people to know they can always contact me, so I frequently turn it off. But on the other hand if I am a long way from the house, over the fields or in the wood and need any help, then the mobile is an essential. So I have to be sensible about it.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 3-Feb-2019 19:28 Message #4734465
I have both mainly because the mobile signal is rubbish indoors and I'm a dinosaur that prefers using a proper phone for calls. Plus I need a landline for my broadband.
Why do conversations on mobiles sound so crap?...
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 3-Feb-2019 20:01 Message #4734467
With all the cleverness and everything, they still haven't got the technology right with mobile reception.

Most mobile calls at some points, involve the words 'your breaking up'. Which is a bit awkward, if the person you are speaking to is actually having relationship issues at the time, that they think are being sorted ok.

I have always hated my mobile ringing in public. I think some of it is because I am a bit of a private person. I don't like being the centre of attention.

It usually sounds rubbish listening to other peoples mobile calls, although sometimes entertaining as well, but some just don't care. One young scallywag on the bus seemed quite proud of his prison sentence that he had served, and he was currently on his way to see his probation officer. He didn't care about anyone hearing.

Landline for me. Old mobile for 'emergencies' ( Christ, I sound old now, only is 'oldies' say we only have a mobile for emergencies )
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 3-Feb-2019 20:17 Message #4734468
What Hiero says and for the same reasons.

I can't stand people expecting me to to available 24-7 either. And I refuse to use the internet connection on the phone. I'm not paying for other people to send me junk that I don't want.
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 3-Feb-2019 23:04 Message #4734472
both, but much prefer the l/line.
Female
Sea Urchin  Female  Essex 4-Feb-2019 00:40 Message #4734475
I have both as you cannot have wi-fi without a landline and prefer doing things on a laptop rather than a fiddly phone. If I could I may have given up, as use my landlie very little and the reception is not that good at times as crackles. I also feel that about 90% of any calls received are junk. Wish they had a system here, where you can have wifi without a landline and also only pay for the wi-fi when there, as you can in Cyprus for example. Kind of pay as you need it. I rarely take my mobile with me, if just going to local shops and basically only have it turned on if meeting somebody, so that they can contact to say or held up in traffic etc. It is then turned off. Really hate private conversations in public. My mobile is great while away in foreign countries though, as when connected to wi-fi can have free internet conversation with my daughters through WhatsApp or Skype.
Male
badman  Male  Suffolk 4-Feb-2019 07:51 Message #4734477
I have both because of the aforementioned reasons. My landline is for incoming calls. It has an inbuilt answerphone so I can hear who's calling.

Most calls begin with 'Dad..pick up the phone'.

Kids huh?
Male
OnlineMSE  Male  Essex 4-Feb-2019 08:43 Message #4734482
Only have a landline because it's needed for my broadband & there's no virgin cable as an alternative on my estate. Don't have outgoing calls included in my contract, but as they're unlimited on my mobile, that's not an issue.
In the past making landline calls to mobile numbers has been much more expensive than to a landline number, but I know TalkTalk now include calls to mobiles as part of their optional call packages so I can see their competitors following suit.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 4-Feb-2019 12:42 Message #4734485
I have a landline, I gave up on mobiles, after living for 10 years in a place with very little or no signal, I'd never got rid of my old basic nokia payg, I went to use it one day and it wouldn't work so I went into the shop and asked why and was told I had to have a new sim card and I had to put £10 on it for it work, they argued about transfering the balance from my old sim, but eventually did it. Then a week later I went to use the phone and I was out of credit despite not having used it, I went back to the shop and complained and it turned out I was on a monthly plan with massive amounts of data usage, that I couldn't use because the phone dosent do internet, and it had eaten my credit. I went mental, got them to refund the credit and get me off this plan and on normal payg, then within a fortnight it had happened again, I went back to the shop and they were really unhelpful, apparently I should of replied to texts about my data usage and a load of other stuff, they couldn't or wouldn't refund the credit and told me I'd have to put at least another £10 on it, I told them to shove their sim card and rip off practices where the sun don't shine.

In the 10 years I was without a decent mobile signal phones had moved on to such an extent that I feel totally out of my depth, theres a whole language around them I don't speak, they don't come with a manual, they're "intuitive" so you're just supposed to know how they work, that sounds like laziness on the manufacturers part to me.

I don't want to "curate" my life on social media, I hate photo's at the best of times, here is the only social media I come to. I don't trust or want companies rifling through my contacts for advertising or even more nefarious purposes. I don't want to have what seems a perfectly inoccuous app deciding to delete from your contacts every trace of someone who dosen't have the app, like one did to my DiL.

I feel quite worried by my lack of digital communication and knowlege, because everything is fast becoming phone and app based and I fear normal email will go the way of hand written letters. There dosen't seem to be any help for people who've been left behind in the digital revolution, people forget theres plenty of places where you can't send or recieve a text let alone 3, 4 or now 5G.
Male
barney  Male  Surrey 4-Feb-2019 13:40 Message #4734488
My mobile is always turned off and I use the landline for all calls/

There was a woman on the radio the other day saying that certain things are going to be discontinued in the next year or so.

Charger leads, it will be done by wifi.

Cds and dvds.

Tv remotes, it will be done by your smart phone. What if you are a couple and one of you goes out with the phone ?.
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 4-Feb-2019 14:16 Message #4734490
Do you remember the days when only posers had mobiles?

There they would be, posing, trying to impress the birds, on their mobile saying things like 'I'll have the Porsche.. I don't care how much it is, money's no object' or 'I'm in charge, they nearly lost me a few million today, sack everyone', or 'Buy Buy, Sell, sell, Sell', and then the phone would ring mid sentence.

Those were the days.

ps...I sound as though I know a bit too much about it all, but it's only because somebody once told me...honest...
Female
Drusilla  Female  Bedfordshire 4-Feb-2019 15:24 Message #4734495
I find the current pace of technological advances in phones really scary. It's like the smartphone has taken over the whole world! To be honest, I wouldn't have a scooby how to use one, they seem so complicated to me. But then I guess I'm one of the dinosaurs and I still only have a dumb phone that's really simple to use.

I so envy the young with their ability to instantly pick up all this techno and computer stuff. To me, it's all still seems like science fiction - but of course it's all now science fact - hard to get my tiny brain around!

And yes, I still have a trusty old landline which I much prefer and as others have said, I detest public conversations on a mobile too.
Male
warmundeft  Male  Wrexham 4-Feb-2019 18:00 Message #4734500
Like most here, my land-line is a necessity for the broadband connection - although I suppose I could latch on to the wi-fi from the buses that sail past every five minutes or so - perhaps not - such a connection would, I guess, be somewhat intermittent.
Even when I hear the thing ring and reach it in time to pick up, it is unfailingly necessary to tell the caller that, while I can hear that there's somebody there, I am unable to make out what is being said. Only with the exercise of extreme patience at both ends of the line might any useful intelligence be exchanged and then only after suffering frequent misinterpretations and misunderstandings.

"Damm things! They be the work o' the Devil I tell 'ee!"

The audioability of my mobile 'phone is, I find, an order of magnitude below that of a land line. Hiero - believe me - things could be worse !

Over ten years ago, believing it (in theory) to be a handy piece of kit to have available if in trouble out on the hill, I trialed a mobile 'phone. But what with miniscule battery life (especially in chilly weather) and signal strength going up and down like a whore's drawers, my report concluded that the equipment/system combination was as trustworthy as a knitted condom.

'Twas with some reluctance then, that only after repeated urging from a host of half siblings around the country, I succumbed to the 'gift' of an 'instrument of Satan'.
Topping up with £20 about twice a year and confining its use to text messages, does allow brief exchanges such as: 'Can I visit around 7?', or similar in order to set up a face-to-face meeting. But the verbosity of some folk stuns me - their fingers must have the flexibility of Paderewski !
And so much for all their importuning - with their migration to Facebook, pesterings for me to do the same led to a post on the Family/Group page (and you could almost sense a sigh of satisfaction): 'At last we are complete.' My response along the lines that: 'I had not been aware that I was incomplete', was received with mixed feelings. One benefit though, one of those jobs I've been meaning to get around to for some while - '"sorting" out my photos' - has seen greater progress over the past fortnight than has been made since my van was robbed and retrieved.

"Evolve or go under", probably sums it all up. And that's as relevant now as when 'things' changed at a more manageable pace. Perhaps you remember a story doing the rounds when UK coinage and weights & measure changed over to decimal. An elderly lady was reported as saying:
"Oh! All this bother! Why couldn't they wait until all the old folk had died ?"

Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 4-Feb-2019 18:26 Message #4734502
Oh don't get me wrong, I love my smartphone.
I convinced myself a few years ago that I didn't need one of those annoying modern phones and could make do with my clunky old Nokia, but I eventually succumbed and now couldn't be without it. I'm on my third smartphone and they just get better and easier every time I upgrade.
Ironically, I don't use it for calls very much unless it's a whatsapp call...
Male
warmundeft  Male  Wrexham 4-Feb-2019 19:02 Message #4734509
Truly delighted for you Hiero - and also pleased for all who's various faculties work as they would wish.

The reality is that electronic audio comms for me (and umpty-ump millions with hearing impairments) can be a great test of patience and perseverance. At least face-to-face, we only need to train those who aren't aware of what they might do to help, to look us in the eye when they want us to be in the loop - talking 'to me' at the same time they're looking into a cupboard fails to achieve the intended (perhaps) level of communication. Then they express surprise when I 'respond' to something they haven't said - I am doing the best I can with what I've got.

Though there are times when I think that I should stay in more.
Female
justfem  Female  Cambridgeshire 4-Feb-2019 20:53 Message #4734512
I'm contactable on a "need to know" PAYG basis and don't usually have my mobile switched on or even with me. The only thing I really use it for is the GPS offline maps when I'm city or globe trotting or meeting up with someone. I'm paying for a landline for my broadband anyway and the mobile communications around here tend to be rubbish.
Male
SQL  Male  Devon 4-Feb-2019 22:21 Message #4734520
Got an old mobile that gets topped up once every 2 years with £10. Yes I understand them even the latest ones but I am astounded that people are willing to put up with them.

I was asked to look at a tablet device for a friend a year or so back and found it so unreliable, unpredictable and slow that I told the owner they should sling it in the nearest skip, it was the latest ipad from apple. If that's the latest and greatest technology then the world is going downhill at a great rate.

I only make calls using my landline, the mobile is for me to be contacted if a relative is taken ill. I don't do texts, call me on the landline if you want to make contact.

SQL
Male
barney  Male  Surrey 5-Feb-2019 08:00 Message #4734532
I was given a expensive Apple tablet a few years ago and like SQL I thought it was rubbish. I ended up giving it away.
Male
OnlineMSE  Male  Essex 8-Feb-2019 09:46 Message #4734806
I have 2 tablets as well as my desktop and smartphone.
I find the tablets, which I tend to use downstairs, invaluable as a source of data as and when I need it and/or to receive news updates etc. without having to go upstairs and fire up the desktop.
I do accept peoples reticence to embrace a lot of today's smart technology (because they think it's all about social media and being contactable at all hours of the day. It is for those that want it to be, but not if you don't) but I do think it's so backward thinking (and a little sad) that with all this amazing tech available, at such a such low cost (I'm talking Android here not the stratospheric cost of Apple products), that there's a general reluctance from many to experience something that even at the turn of the century wasn't considered possible or affordable, and is like ignoring that you have the contents of a library and all the knowledge that it contains available at the touch of a button. In my opinion we are so lucky to have that.
And you don't have to break the bank to get it. My newest tablet is now a couple of years old, at the time it had the latest android version v.6 (although that's moved on to v.8) has a large 10.1" hd screen, large memory, and yet cost just over £100 !.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »