Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

When you listen to a song

Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 3-Feb-2019 09:25 Message #4734431
When you listen to a song, is it generally the lyrics or the 'music' that you take notice of, or a bit of both?

If the beat or tempo or whatever, or the genre ( eg Rock, Metal, Punk, Soul etc ) appeals, does it matter what the lyrics are? Or the other way round, if the lyrics are great poetry for instance, but the tune is not what you want, does it affect your enjoyment?

Most songs, for me, are about the sound, rather than the lyrics. If I am blasting out Rock stuff,for instance, the lyrics are often undecipherable anyway, and it is definitely the sound that is the thing for me.
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 3-Feb-2019 09:47 Message #4734432
Another for instance would be:-

If somebody threw a bit of a 'curveball' or something, and put 'far left' lyrics to a 'far right' band song.

Or Pro Trump lyrics, for an Anti Trump band

Or a 'Remain' band, singing 'pro Brexit' lyrics.

Things like that.

Would you stop listening? Even if it was good tune, but you disagree with the lyrics?
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 3-Feb-2019 10:45 Message #4734436
When I could still sing, it was about whether it sounded like a song I could sing, theres some music I just don't listen to, heavy metal, death metal, C&W. I don't think I'd know if something was a far right song so I wouldn't know if someone had changed it.
Male
OnlineMSE  Male  Essex 3-Feb-2019 10:54 Message #4734437
Although some songs make it very easy to spot
All RIGHT Now - Free
Bloody well RIGHT - Supertramp

And there's others that reflect the current position of the opposition
Left. Behind ! - Slipknot.

And in the interest of those sitting on the fence, of course there's

Stuck in the middle with you - Stealers Wheel.
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 3-Feb-2019 15:55 Message #4734452
Curve ball music?

Eberneezer Goode made number 1 during the BBC drug awareness week.
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 3-Feb-2019 17:24 Message #4734455
yeah, there's a few songs with sort of 'hidden' references to drugs and things.

People can listen to them, sing along, then months or years later, realise what they have been singing along to, then spit their corn flakes out, and they can't ever sing it again, or even listen to it.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 3-Feb-2019 19:03 Message #4734463
I love all the Dirty Dancing songs - esp when driving. They give me the 'Feel Good ' factor. I also like anything by Leonard Cohen and especially 'I dreamt I dwelt in marble halls' by the Flower Girls. I could listen to that for ages... also Goreki... his music really is haunting.
Male
badman  Male  Suffolk 4-Feb-2019 07:55 Message #4734479
When I hear certain songs, I'm reminded of who I was dancing with at the time. Usually brings a smile to my face.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 4-Feb-2019 15:21 Message #4734494
Storm in a Teacup = cleaning lockers on the children's ward in 1970

Chirpy, Chirpy, Cheep, Cheep = unravelling wire (ex funeral) out of donated flowers to the hospital in the nurses' home

Killing Me Softly = just arriving back after my wedding and first hug with music

New York, New York = feeling ill looking at pints of blood hanging off the sides of the couches in my new job as a team manager in the National Blood Service.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 10-Feb-2019 02:05 Message #4734947
Never really thought about it until now, always thought it was either in equal measure. Now though have realised (apart from the fact it probably depends a lot on mood sometimes) I tend to like the music first then listen to the words, makes it a bit difficult with the likes of Runrig, John Martyn, John Prine and many american language singers...can hardly understand 'em.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 10-Feb-2019 12:18 Message #4734969
I started learning Gaelic after listening to Runrig, I didn't get very far though, but at least I could make out the different words.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 14-Feb-2019 11:41 Message #4735266
Do you ever listen to a particular track over and over? maybe when you were a teen, that first album you bought and you listened to your favourite track all the time. Do you sometimes get in the mood of just listening to the same track until your mood is spent?
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 14-Feb-2019 12:32 Message #4735270
I have often done that. There's something about some particular song, that makes you want to play it again and again.

Back in the olden days, when I were a teen, I used to record stuff off the radio onto a cassette, by placing the cassette players microphone next to the radio. ( oh, remember those days )

I would then play the stuff over and over. Then sometimes I would buy the album that the songs came from, but often, by that time, I then realised that I was getting a bit fed up of that particular song, and fast forward through it, to get to the other stuff on the album.

Recording with the microphone next to the radio, brings back memories of recording Simon and Garfunkels 'The Boxer'. During the recording, I coughed, and then playing the song back so often, meant that the cough became part of the song. It then seemed strange to hear the song without 'the cough'.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 14-Feb-2019 13:40 Message #4735271
Was that from the 'Bridge over troubled water' album? or 'The Boxer' album?...ahhh those days of getting the mic set up and trying to find somewhere or sometime when it was quiet.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »