Conversation Arts and Entertainment
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

I was thinking of watching a film.

What do you do?

Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 27-Jan-2019 14:58 Message #4734143
I was searching the internet, as you do, and have come across a film from 1987,that sounds as though it could be entertaining, or at least a bit entertaining.

There are certain things that get in the way though.

One is that the film is in a list of the worst films ever made. Does that put you off watching, if others have rated the film so badly?

Another thing is...it starred Bill Cosby. Now Bill Cosby was a big star in the 80's, but even so, the film was rated really badly...and since then, Bill Cosby in now in prison for his conviction for sex offences.

Some people have never been Bill Cosby fans, but for others, he has been a part of their entertainment all through the years. Do you stop watching anything to do with him, because of his offences?

A similar thing with others, like Saville and Rolf Harris. Some have hated them all their lives, but both were popular with many, things like Jim'll fix it, and Harris's paintings and Animal Hospital, and songs etc. Do you ever watch anything that they were in now? I often cringe when I hear them mentioned, especially Saville.

Anyway, the Cosby film is Leonard Part 6. It is a spoof spy film. One of the concepts is that the first 5 films were classified secrets, so only the 6th film is available, although there was never any other films.

I may start to watch it, and make my own mind up. If I can stomach seeing Cosby on screen. I havn't watched anything of his since his case.
Male
mancers  Male  Greater Manchester 27-Jan-2019 15:10 Message #4734144
Never watched his tv programmes, he always came across as a smug bastard with an edge to him , now we know why.
Male
Son-of-a-Beach  Male  Dorset 27-Jan-2019 16:05 Message #4734148
Choices, choices.

Maybe put a Gary Glitter LP on the turntable while you're making up your mind.
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 28-Jan-2019 09:12 Message #4734177
Well, I started watching it, but got waylaid, so haven't watched much. I may carry on at some point.

It has got Tom Courtney in it, and he can be quite good, but with the film receiving such a panning, perhaps he isn't good in this. Reviewers giving a film a 'worst film ever' type rating sometimes makes it stand out as a 'must watch'.

With regards to Cosby, it is something that people will have their own views about. Not just Cosby, but with regards to anyone who has 'messed up big time' or whatever phrase you want to use.

Some other examples could be OJ Simpson, Roman Polanski, Phil Spector, many others. They have acted or made films or music over the years. There will be others that people have had preference for, and then they get found out for something bad. Do you then avoid everything they ever made, or carry on regardless?
Male
Son-of-a-Beach  Male  Dorset 28-Jan-2019 09:48 Message #4734178
I made a comment regarding Glitter but, seriously, I used to love both the A side and B side, (instrumental) of the single Rock and Roll.

I'd be too uncomfortable to ever play it where anyone could hear it these days. (Unlike blasting out classic tracks from Bowie, Bolan, etc.
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 28-Jan-2019 11:12 Message #4734183
Yes, it's a strange one with Glitter. Never a favourite of mine, but you couldn't help sing along to something of his back in the day, or take the piss or whatever. But now?...

Another thing for me, is the book 'Catcher in the Rye'. I have never read it. Although many were aware of the book already, it was 'famously' brought to more peoples attention as being a favourite of Mark Chapman, the killer of John Lennon. I have never been able to get any desire to read it, because of that.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 28-Jan-2019 11:21 Message #4734185
I used to love Bill Cosby, but I feel really weird about watching his stuff now, maybe because its so different from the reality of how he was/is.

I liked Gary Glitter when I was about 10, but its not my sort of music now and I'd feel simerlarly weird about listening to it.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 28-Jan-2019 12:19 Message #4734190
Would I stop watching or listening to anything because of someone's offences...I suppose it would depend how engrossing the material watched or listened to was for me. I never liked any of the people mentioned so far anyway, and most of the singers and actors I used to like were drug users and probably had strange sexual predilections anyway, and that didn't stop me then, so to be honest I'd probably have to give it a go and see how I felt.
Did you end up watching it and if so, how did you feel about it?
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 28-Jan-2019 20:44 Message #4734205
I haven't continued with it for the moment, but I was looking at some other stuff, and there is another one with Tom Courtney that caught my eye.

A good old British one. With no controversies that leap out at me, at the moment at least. written by Dick clement and Ian La Frenais, in 1969. Also starring Rigsby, a Likely Lad, Emma Thompson's Mum, the dad of an actress from casualty that I quite fancied, the actress that is, not the dad, and he was in Porridge, the dad. And a bloke from the Archers. Amongst others. It might be quite good. It is called Otley. And it is a comedy/spoof spy film as well.
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 29-Jan-2019 14:01 Message #4734230
Thanks for the responses so far. It is interesting to see what others think about it.

Not as many as I expected have responded though, although it is understandable that people are wanting to keep their thoughts to themselves. It is quite a confusing subject.

For instance, Harvey Weinstein has been involved in many successful films, all sorts of genres, appealing to a wide range of viewers. How many will watch any films associated with him now? Do you let it go, because you enjoyed it ages ago, and a good film is always worth seeing again? Do you want to watch anything of his that you haven't already seen?

I occasionally watch the Tarantino film 'Inglorious Basterds'. A good film, gripping beginning, good performances. I have watched it since the Weinstein case. His company had a fairly major hand in the film.

A selection of other films that he has been involved with, Shakespeare in Love, Miss Potter, Hannibal Rising, The Reader, The Kings Speech. Some of these just in a distributor capacity. There are films mentioned, and others, that would appeal to many.

I suppose we can just block out the bad stuff, and carry on, otherwise we would never do anything. But where do you draw the line?
Male
Son-of-a-Beach  Male  Dorset 29-Jan-2019 15:01 Message #4734232
I suppose we can just block out the bad stuff, and carry on, otherwise we would never do anything. But where do you draw the line?

Well, technically, and certainly as far as showmanship and getting the masses inspired, we might call Hitler a fabulous orator and public speaker ... but him being responsible for the death of 50 million humans probably blots his copybook.

And yet there are some despicable people who actually gain a fan base when their ghoulish deeds are outed. Ted Bundy, the infamous American serial killer being a fascinating example.
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 31-Jan-2019 14:41 Message #4734315
Yes, the Nazi worshippers and general serial killer worshippers are worrying.

A brief story about a neo nazi, more specifically someone I went to school with, who became one.

At school, we were 'mates'. We sat together in some classes. We had a bit of a laugh. I don't remember any neo nazi behaviour from him at that time, although he was a bit wayward at times. We left school, I went in the Merchant Navy, he formed a band, originally Rock, then Punk, then Skinhead, then national Front etc, becoming quite big in those circles. I was in touch with him on and off until the late 70's, then lost touch. He was killed in a car crash in the early 90's. He is 'worshipped' by many, even now his band name is often seen in advertising 'todays' neo nazi's

I sometimes wonder what he developed into, from the school days, to his death. When I last saw him in the 70's, he was still pleasant, he bought me and my girl a drink. I sometimes wonder, if I had seen him in later life, if he would have turned unpleasant with me, or if it was just an act, the neo nazi stuff, or just an act, the earlier friendship with me stuff.

Back to the original though, I sometimes deal with controversial things in life by 'taking the mick'. I take the mick out of Hitler, Saville, Cosby etc. Not PC, I know, and some people are 'horrified' if I make a 'joke' out of a serious situation, but that is the way I often deal with things.
Male
Son-of-a-Beach  Male  Dorset 31-Jan-2019 18:33 Message #4734321
I don't suppose you'll ever know what 'turned' your old school friend … or whether he would have been pleasant if you had seen him again after all those years … though, as a former school friend, there might have been the reasonable expectation of him treating you just as pleasantly as in the, original, good old days.

As to how we deal with "such things".

Unless I am provoked into action, my usual default is to, diplomatically, act as if I hadn't heard some unsavoury comment, especially if uttered by some senior person possibly set in their old ways. (I mention 'senior person' because I believe some elderly folk are not likely to be acting bigoted or maliciously by intent … but by some naïve force of habit, possibly due to having grown up in a 60's or 70's when people were less concerned about using what is now regarded as non PC language.

People saying things to deliberately cause offence or discourse is another matter and in those kinds of situations, I, generally, will intervene to aid somebody being deliberately targeted … though, these days, at 62, I tend to choose my battles a little more sensibly than when I was younger.

We live in a beautiful, wonderful, world, (though we seem determined to wreck it), and all I know is that we should, occasionally, listen to Tim Buckley. (RIP)

"This old world may never change
Not the way it's been
And all the ways of war
Can't change it back again
I've been searching for the dolphins in the sea
Sometimes I wonder do you ever think of me
I'm not the one to tell this world
How to get along
I only know that peace will come
When all hate is gone
Sometimes I think about
Saturday's child
And all about the times
When we were running wild
This old world may never change
This old world may never change"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=14&v=LtU-9EMSYu0

Here's to your friend, Tumbleweed.
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 31-Jan-2019 19:58 Message #4734323
Good song and Lyrics Beach.

With regards to my friend, or school friend anyway, it has always been a very strange thing. From news items and interviews over the years, mostly before his death, some from people after his death, and the many many websites dedicated to him, he divided people between total hatred and total adulation.

There is a lot of information online, a lot of German sites as well. They think of him as a god. Some of it really makes me hate him. Although we weren't really close, we were schoolmates, and I haven't blotted him out totally. I don't even know if I want to or not. It is a very weird thing.

His band were Skrewdriver, and he was the singer. A lot of the reading about him does not make pleasant reading. For most people, that is. For his dedicated followers though, it is a different story.

Some say that the car crash that killed him was a deliberate killing. Like conspiracy theories do.

Female
jennifer  Female  Gloucestershire 9-Feb-2019 09:15 Message #4734889
Watched a great film last night ... Last Flag Flying.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »