Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Just when you thought you had seen it all.

What have you seen?

Female
Sea Urchin  Female  Essex 27-Jan-2019 12:34 Message #4734135
Today whilst wandering around Ubud, Bali I stumbled across what I was informed was a bird singing competition. Lots of pretty little song birds in ornate cages. They were taken in their cages, to be hung up high inside an open sided, large rectagular, roofed structure. A kind of huge gazebo. Lots of men walking around underneath with clipboards and pens listening intently. Several feet back was a kind of fence baricade, to keep the mob at bay. Seemed to be a man thing, as only men spectating, apart from the odd stray tourist that is. I could hardly hear the birds, due to the noise and cat calling. Or perhaps I should call that bird calling? I very much doubt the birds realised they were being egged on to win though. Seemed a bit cruel couped up in cages. No idea what the exact rules were; bird singing loudest or longest etc. Just never come across anything like it before. Have you?
But what have you seen, just when you thought you had seen it all?
Female
leogirl  Female  Essex 27-Jan-2019 23:53 Message #4734171
Hello Sea Urchin,

I have read about this bird singing competition somewhere . I thought it was a Chinese thing or hobby.
How I envy you in Bali ! I like observing competitions or ceremonies that are unusual . Have you already seen a Bali monkey dance - not exactly a dance ?

leogirl.
Male
Son-of-a-Beach  Male  Dorset 28-Jan-2019 10:38 Message #4734180
Fascinating tale, Sea.

Just when you thought you had seen it all. What have you seen?

Considering the bottom end of Beach Cottage's 150ft long x 26ft wide garden is surrounded by a shoulder-high Victorian bricked wall, (separating it from neighbours with similar walls), I was astonished to, one day, see a deer with antlers, (a stag?), breathlessly panting at the lower, corner of my zen garden feature.

Though looking on from 50 yards away at the cottage end, the moment I took a step, the beast startled and began bounding up and down the garden, (though navigating around the greenhouse, pond, shed, etc), until, in a graceful leap right before my eyes, it soared into the air and cleared the wall, landing, briefly in neighbour Molly's garden before leaping again and landing at the rear of the restaurant garden adjacent.

Seeing wildlife in my big, (but sheltered and enclosed), town centre garden is no surprise though and, over the years I have amassed a long list for species I have encountered including Hedgehog, Slowworm, Fox, Badger, Giant Dragonfly, Rat, Shrew, Mouse as well as high flying circling kestrels and hawks ... and a low dusk flypass (right over my head) of a huge barn owl ... and I almost forgot the mating resident dinosaurs. (A pair of Herring Gull raptors who usually produce 3 chicks each spring. (I watch their whole early life cycle each summer as they transform from balls of feathery fluff into fledgeling birds using my long garden path as a runway).

Returning back to the deer in the garden; when I mentioned it to the gentleman who has run one of our local businesses for the past 50 years, he simply stated, "Yeah. It has happened before. I think it comes from the orchard. (Just behind all of us).

Incidentally, in that same orchard this year, there was an event that also made my eyes widen in incredulity.

Some townsfolk were performing the annual ancient wassailing ceremony. Singing and dancing around the trees to encourage a bumper apple harvest later this autumn. (I'd become immune to the normal, eccentric, Morris dancing scenes that take over the town from time to time but the orchard spectacle was a new thing ... to me anyway.

Anything else while I'm thinking about my town?

Only the fact that, while many towns or cities have headline news regarding crime or similar dire events, our local (weekly) rag once had the main headline as "Seagull Nest Stops Town Hall Clock". :-)
Male
Son-of-a-Beach  Male  Dorset 28-Jan-2019 11:05 Message #4734182
Another "Just when you thought you had seen it all" ...

Having opened up for business in the main street by placing an 'A' board on the pavement, (PC Tuition and Repair), I had planned to spend the morning pottering around in the garden while awaiting any, potential, customers but had popped back indoors to fill up a watering can.

When I came back out, I was surprised to find two tourists setting up a tripod and other camera equipment ... right there on the patio!

"EXCUSE ME!", I hollered ... "Can I help you?"

"No. No. We're quite alright, thank you.", one of them drawled in an American or Canadian accent.

I stood there, utterly perplexed, before, (regrettably), morphing into some Fawlty Towers John Cleese style persona and beginning my rant to them.

"A cup of Earl Grey, perhaps?" I offered, a tad aggressively.

"Perhaps some scones and cream?"

My spiked humour was lost on them though and I ended up just explaining that these were not public gardens but a private dwelling!

That was years ago though I still get what I describe as "coach parties" of strangers walking down the passage in the summer every season, seduced by the explosion of flowers and sunshine they spy from the high street. *The ancient passageway stops tourists in their tracks and once they see the sunshine reflecting off the worn flagstones in the unlit, dark tunnel with the promise and the vision of the garden juxtaposed beyond ... well ... they just traipse down the passage like zombies.

Sure. I'm really lucky to actually live inside the little paradise world of Beach Cottage (and garden), but there is never an end to the wonder and surprise that steps off that little street ... like the member of Deep Purple who called in to discuss issues with his computerised model railway setup ... but that's another story! :-)
Female
BunnyGirl  Female  Buckinghamshire 28-Jan-2019 17:38 Message #4734193
Excuse me could you kindly tell me where this little paradise is then perhaps i could feel like
i am in heaven. Lol
Female
Sea Urchin  Female  Essex 29-Jan-2019 01:34 Message #4734210
Hi Leogirl,

Not sure I have seen a Bali Monkey Dance, although I have seen rather a lot of monkeys dancing across all the wires here. I hadn't realised that bird singing competitions were more widespread. It just seemed rather bizarre to me, especialy with grown men shouting and making such a racket throughout the proceedings. I would have thought deathly quiet would have been more the thing, so that you could actually hear the birds. I would much rather see them in the wild though.
Interesting seeing the stag Beach. I have muntjac deer next to me and would definitely be amazed if a stag appeared instead. I also have sixteen air raid shelter in land behind me but most are destined to go, despite being the largest collection in the country. Have been ongoing protrets against council and savy army for decades. Now if a few stags could appear...
The wassailing ceremony sounds interesting and good to watch.
Out here they still practise cock fighting, which is something I definitely would not want to watch.
Bunny Girl if you meant the paradise where I am, it is Ubud, in Bali at the moment. Is there anything you have seen, just when you thought you had seen it all?
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 30-Jan-2019 02:59 Message #4734254
Two I can think of, though maybe they don't fit the criteria.
One was a (lovely I might add) girl on a helpline who had the most shrill voice I've ever heard, it amazed me people actually had long conversations with her, she was lovely to talk to face to face, but on the phone her voice sounded so strange.
Second was two otters deciding whether to cross a road bridge on North Uist, took them a full half hour before they both made it to the other side, darting to and fro over the wall in a yes, no, yes, no thing - I was quite a way away watching them through a long camera lens, though I reckon they knew I was there.
Female
Sea Urchin  Female  Essex 3-Feb-2019 12:57 Message #4734445
Hi Terry,
I would love to have seen the otters, as have only ever seen them in water before. It is quite rre to even see them.
Something that I saw on a previous visit to Indonesia, which could be describe as just when oiu thought you ave seen it all, was two men on a motorbike on a very busy public road carrying very large sheet of class between them. The driver obviousl only had one hand on the handlebar as the other was holding the sheet of glass. the passenger was holding the other end of the sheet of glass It reached almost to the ground and covered their heads. Yesterday when I walked up into the hills in Lovina i came across three young girls all on the same motorbike, aged about ten, eight and three at a guess. The youngest stood up in the footwell in front. None wearing crash helmets. Although in Indonesia you frequenty see youn children on motorbikes. I believe there is meant to be an age limit but it seems to be ignored. I once unintentionally ended up being one of four on a bike. Walking past a shop in Amed the owner of the homestay I was staying at was there and heoffered me a lift the last mile back. As hot ad tired I accepted. i cliimbed on behind...and then his wife and son climbed on behind me. Not having met them before I did not even notice them. So, not only have I seen it all, i have also on some occasions done it all. :- ) Life can be fun, when health and safety never features in the equation,
Male
Son-of-a-Beach  Male  Dorset 7-Feb-2019 20:23 Message #4734755
“Just when you thought you had seen it all?”

I’ve got a brilliant one that blew my mind … just a moment ago.

Pre-amble

Thanks to my little sign in the high street, I am given/donated laptops with broken screens, corrupt hard drives or dead batteries on a weekly, even daily basis and I can usually repurpose or recondition them by replacing a screen or installing a new hard drive (or operating system), and return them to service as useful, re-saleable machines in just an hour or two … OR I just break them down for spare parts.

Anyway. About 2 hours ago, my friend of 40 years, John H, brought round a laptop for me to recycle.

It was a very tidy, quite new, Dell Inspiron Windows 10 machine, (upgraded from Windows 8), but, when turned on, it would not boot or show a display. However is would repeat a BEEP. BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP BEEP, BEEP cycle over and over again. :-(

Bear with me through the following, short, technical jargon for just a mo because the outcome is a first for me … and really amazing! :-)

7 beeps (on that particular Dell model) can mean the CPU, (the processor), has started to fail or the accompanying heat-sink (that sits atop many processors to cleverly dissipate the natural heat generated), is no longer doing its job properly. This usually means the machine is a right off because it usually means taking the whole thing apart to get to the failing components to replace them … which is not always a cost effective or viable option.

HOWEVER. I researched the fault online and found a forum where some utter, utter, genius of a girl had found a work around fix that didn’t even involve opening up the machine!

She advised other forum members with a similar problem to do the following.

First, she said, we should lift the lid open. Then,she said, we should wrap one, two or more towels around the body of the keyboard, business part of the laptop. (Not the opened screen part). Then, she said, we should turn on the laptop and just leave it to OVERHEAT for 25 – 30 minutes!

When I read that bit, I though, “Blimey. That’s a bit radical … and, potentially, dangerous” … but then the work around started to make sense because … between the metal heat-sink and the processor, there is usually a spongy layer of THERMAL PASTE that, over time, can dry out and stop doing its job of sticking heatsink to processor. That’s why the heatsink, thermal paste, processor assembly fails … and gets hot.

So … I followed her instructions to the letter, allowed the laptop to get hot inside its blanker of towels … for 30 minutes … and when the time was up, I switched off the laptop and, a minute later, switched it on again … and watched it come alive before my eyes!

The heat generated inside the motherboard, (beneath the towels), had acted to softened the thermal paste enough for it to melt again and perform exactly as if I had taken the whole machine apart and applied new paste.

Obviously, I’ll need to monitor and test the machine fully and use some free software called SPEEDFAN to interrogate/view the heat sensor connected to the processor but with the overall motherboard capable of withstanding 230 degrees heat without harm, I’m relatively confident that this brilliant FIX probably has really done the job … and I’m AMAZED! :-)

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »