Conversation Arts and Entertainment
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Bits of trivia type stuff, that you just found out...

and you went...Well, I didn't know that...

Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 21-Jan-2019 17:58 Message #4733783
I just found out that Benedict Cumberbatch's Mum is the actress Wanda Ventham, who I have always quite liked, and who used to play Casandras mum in Only Fools, and Debs mum in Men behaving badly, amongst things.
Female
BunnyGirl  Female  Buckinghamshire 21-Jan-2019 18:27 Message #4733785
Yes i remember her
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 21-Jan-2019 18:51 Message #4733787
It was his real parents that played Sherlock and Mycrofts parents in the TV show.
Female
Blue-Poppy  Female  East Yorkshire 21-Jan-2019 19:59 Message #4733792
Oh crumbs t/w, I know so many bits of rubbish trivia its a wonder I can hold it all. One of my old bosses said he had never met anyone who knew so much useless information and I was only in my early thirties then and have carried on amassing stuff. I just seem to collect junk facts but I'm sure there are useful bits in there somewhere.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 22-Jan-2019 10:58 Message #4733818
I'm like that too BP, its what makes makes Manthing shriek 'how did you know that?' when we watch quiz shows.
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 22-Jan-2019 11:55 Message #4733824
It is weird, the things that we retain. All sorts of useless stuff. Although actually, what may seem useless trivia, could end up being the million pound question on 'Who wants to be a...I can't remember the last word...'

With regards to some famous people and their more/less famous mums, some I already knew are :-

Ben Fogle and actress Julia Foster( Fancied her when I was 'growing up' )

Claudia Winkleman and Eve Pollard.

Jenny Hanley ( actress and Magpie) and actress Dinah Sheridan.

Jay Kay ( singer with Jamiroquai ) and Karen Kay ( singer and impressionist )
Male
OnlineMSE  Male  Essex 29-Jan-2019 10:43 Message #4734221
Not really arts or entertainment, but an interesting bit of triv I recently found out was that (and I checked it wasn't April 1st !!) :-
in France (and I believe Belgium follow a similar convention) there's a law "French Naming Convention" that you can only name a dog born in a specific year with a designated letter, so it's easy to determine the age of a dog by it's registered name.
6 letters are excluded (K,Q,W,X,Y,Z) as it would be difficult finding names starting with those letters so every 20 years the list starts again.
For 2019 the name's have to start with the letter P.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 30-Jan-2019 02:46 Message #4734253
Don't know if it would be classed as trivia or history, Brian Jackson had a hand in starting the Open University along with 'Arold Wilson
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 5-Feb-2019 14:57 Message #4734562
Warren Beatty & Shirley Maclaine are brother & sister
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 5-Feb-2019 15:01 Message #4734563
Years ago I had a Doberman called Tarquin - he was beautiful and a fine figure of a dog, but when he was 4 he changed his sex and lived out the rest of his life as (nearly) a female. No balls or bits showing, just nipples which swelled up when in season.

(Well you did ask for a bit of trivia)
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 5-Feb-2019 15:31 Message #4734565
did his knob and balls just drop off one night, v ?

just asking, like !
Female
Woosey  Female  North Yorkshire 5-Feb-2019 18:58 Message #4734580
Lol at Fosy.

Woosey x
Female
beaches  Female  Cumbria 5-Feb-2019 19:14 Message #4734583
Yes I remember seeing them both at the Chelsea Flower Show a couple of years ago, lovely people ??

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »