Conversation Health and Wellbeing
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

I am expecting a surprise shortly

A gift for

Male
contender  Male  Leicestershire 13-Jan-2019 21:54 Message #4733318
Giving Blood?

Just attained 75 pints (9 gallons and 3 pints).

I am advised that in a short while I will receive something by post from the NHS?

Watch this space and i will advise.

Mike
Female
BunnyGirl  Female  Buckinghamshire 13-Jan-2019 22:14 Message #4733320
can't wait to know hurry hurry i am getting impatient ha ha
Male
vanman  Male  Cambridgeshire 13-Jan-2019 22:33 Message #4733321
I got a ... ... ..., for 75 pints, was presented to me at a celebratory lunch, along with several other donors.
Was about 10-12 years ago.

Am on 94 pts now, don't think I will make the 'ton' have had a couple of refusals in the last 18 months. :-(
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire 13-Jan-2019 22:45 Message #4733322
I volunteered to donate back in the late nineties but they took my pulse and said no. Irregular heart beat.
Male
barney  Male  Surrey 14-Jan-2019 00:19 Message #4733327
Free black pudding for life ?.
Male
OnlineMSE  Male  Essex 14-Jan-2019 08:20 Message #4733338
Don't you get an Emerald donor card, badge & certificate ?!
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 14-Jan-2019 10:58 Message #4733345
I'm still not allowed to give blood, I've had transfusions and blood products and they don't like you to give blood after apparently.
Male
vanman  Male  Cambridgeshire 14-Jan-2019 11:16 Message #4733348
Yep 'Online MSE' all of those,
in the past, when enough Donor's qualified, you also got an invitation to a lunch, and presented with a gift,
when I first started back in the late sixties the gift was a 'cut glass rose bowl'.
I was looking forward to receiving one of those, but by the time my turn came, and money saving was the in thing, the gift had changed to a ... ... ..., that was 10-12 years ago, dunno what it is, if anything these days!

* ( ... ... ... )
Wont say what it was just in case it's still the same, don't want to spoil the surprise for Contender ! lol ;-)
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 14-Jan-2019 11:47 Message #4733351
OMG... "expecting ... a gift"... I thought you were going to say you were "with child"... lol.
Hope you enjoy your present... V xx
Male
barney  Male  Surrey 14-Jan-2019 11:48 Message #4733352
I used to give blood and as my blood group is AB positive they would call me up to remind me.

Now like a lot of older people I take medicines so can't give blood anymore.

So keep up the good work Contender, we need people like you.
Male
warmundeft  Male  Wrexham 14-Jan-2019 19:07 Message #4733364
Keep up the good work Mike, vanman, et al.
Just can't recall what was awarded for 75 donations - probably another tie pin or lapel badge - so your, hopefully pleasant, surprise won't be spoiled by me !

Perhaps though, I can offer some clues. Around the hundred mark, I attended a function where my photo was taken with Simon Weston (someone well known for having been on the receiving end), but the celebratory nibbles did not exceed the customary cuppa and a biscuit at donor sessions, so there was no excessive spending there. And indeed why should they splash out - having got into the habit in my late teens, I carried on as much for any reason as that some of my recreational activities could have led to me needing to make a withdrawal from the blood bank - so there's no way I can claim to be wholly altruistic.
Interesting thought though - some sort of mark of appreciation at intervals 25 donations apart seem to be fairly well known and the card with my Welsh Blood details has '100 +' on it (as did the NBTS one predating the separation), but I don't recall any later 'markers' (at 125, 150 & 175). My 'score' now is a hundred and eighty something, but this was inflated by a period when I was based a five-minute walk from a Blood Donor clinic and could easily give an 'armful' of plasma at something like monthly intervals. Maybe I'll ask someone this Thursday.

And to think 200 years ago, people had to pay a physician or barber-surgeon to be bled !
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 14-Jan-2019 20:59 Message #4733366
I didn't want to do it, but I just couldn't resist. If there is a meal, will it be a donor kebab?
Female
Mumsie  Female  Warwickshire 17-Jan-2019 18:49 Message #4733523
Could be a thank you certificate, maybe even some vouchers with it

Well done to you . for all the blood donations

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »