Conversation Help and Advice
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Have I been hacked?

Female
RAACH84  Female  Buckinghamshire 13-Jan-2019 11:16 Message #4733262
I received an email this morning and the first thing it pointed out was that it had been sent from my own account and this does seem to be the case. Is it difficult to do this without actually hacking?
The email stated that I had been hacked and a trojan put into my pc and that it had all my messages and passwords had been taken. It went on to say that my pc history had been accessed and showed which sites I had visited and implied they were not very moral ones. It also said it had accessed my webcam.
It then gives me an address to send Bitcoins to.

I know most of this is rubbish as I don't access any dodgy sites and I do not even have a webcam but has this person hacked into my pc or is it a random phishing exercise? How hard is it to send someone an email from their own account?
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 13-Jan-2019 11:37 Message #4733265
The hackers are getting more cunning than ever. Some often seem quite convincing.

Getting scam emails from your own email is usually not the case. It is made to seem like it comes from your email, but it doesn't.

The other random stuff that they said is just a load of cobblers. For some people it may seem true that they have visited sites etc, but you know what sites you have been on, and they are just trying to scare you.

Most of the things they send to you can be googled, and you will see it has already been flagged up as scammers or spam or whatever.

Report it through your account if you can, and do things like blocking future ones from them. it sometimes doesn't make much difference, but other times it does.
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 13-Jan-2019 11:50 Message #4733269
most likely a scam, like tw says google it.

for extra piece of mind install and run a spyware/malware program like spybot [other free spywares are available], and after use delete the program as it can sometimes slow things down slightly.
Female
Sea Urchin  Female  Essex 13-Jan-2019 11:53 Message #4733270
A bit late now but best not to actually open these emails. I have had ones that I have not opened but just seen the subject heading, some have said, payment being taken, or thank you for your subscription, also copy of receipt for recent purchase etc. etc. I just mark them all as 'spam'. I have received a couple of 'Spam' phone calls recently though. Two days running. Recorded message ones, saying this is your internet provider (never states name) and we will be taking payment tomorrow and my account has been compromised in several countries, therefore I will lose my internet connection and to press '1' to be put through to a technician. Do not press any buttons if asked. Have ignored and have not lost internet etc. Also has been an American accent and my provider would have a Sheffield accent and would state who they were. Just be careful, as too many scams around.
Male
AndyMacG  Male  the West Midlands 13-Jan-2019 12:30 Message #4733274
Didn't someone on here before christmas state they could easily hack your account, perhaps they have? lol

Andy Mac
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 13-Jan-2019 15:36 Message #4733288
Now we have a suspect Andy Mac. Do you recall his name? Lol.
Female
Cassis  Female  Cambridgeshire 13-Jan-2019 16:28 Message #4733289
So many attempted scams.
Last week I received an actual letter from my bank. Attached was a crossed cheque for £50 for, as the letter explained, compensation in regards to my complaint. The letter looked authentic as were details like my complete address and account number.
Something generally didn't look right about the actual cheque but at first I didn't notice what, and though I hadn't put in any "complaint" recently, I thought it might be to do with them authorizing a bogus payment, actually some time last year.
It was then I noticed the name on the cheque wasn't right and neither was the name on my address at the top of the letter. It was just an initial for my Christian name, but actually the initial of my (last married) surname (not used for my bank) and the surname was actually my Christian name written in full. It was also written strangely with too many spaces between the initial and the surname - looked very amateurish.
There was a note on the letter advising me to phone a certain number if I had any "questions"! So obviously, if I hadn't realised it must be a scam, then Id have phoned that number to highlight the error in my name. They would have thought it would look like a minor thing of having put my surname and first name the wrong way round, as obviously they weren't to know it was the wrong surname for that bank.
They must have got it all from getting into one of my email accounts, as the surname and Christian name tallies with that, and also that they are reversed in that way. I'm guessing purchase receipts or something must have given them enough of my bank details to put together the letter and cheque they'd sent. I guess they were going to get wherever else they needed, to access my account, when I inevitably phoned to say they'd accidentally got my name round the wrong way!!
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 13-Jan-2019 16:46 Message #4733291
It's one thing saying it's from your own account, but another actually doing it. Can you access the details of the email, there might be clues there.
I remember on old outlook you could access the "properties" of an email without actually opening it - it meant you could read the gist and see what the actual sending email address was.
It's easy to attribute a different email address to a sending one to make it look authentic. It sounds like a typical phishing email to scare you into paying a few quid...
Male
SQL  Male  Devon 13-Jan-2019 16:59 Message #4733293
RAACH84 - 13-Jan-2019 11:16

I received an email this morning and the first thing it pointed out was that it had been sent from my own account and this does seem to be the case. Is it difficult to do this without actually hacking?

Fairly easily done by a hacker. If you think your email account has been hacked the first and essential thing to do is change your email password.

I would say this is a standard scam, just ignore it but change your password. 99% of people don't know or use their email password as they put their email access to 'remember me' or something similar so their PC or whatever automatically opens the email system.

Report the address given to you to the Police, they probably won't take specific action but it helps them to accumulate data to counter these scammers. In Devon I can report these details by email to reduce the time taken up by the Police personnel.

SQL
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside 13-Jan-2019 18:12 Message #4733298
I had the same one about a week ago, I reported it. as for the webcam bit, so funny I haven't got one and the lens on the camera bit is taped over, proper scam.
Female
RAACH84  Female  Buckinghamshire 14-Jan-2019 09:13 Message #4733342
Thank you for all the information. I have googled and found quite a lot more information, reported my incident and changed my password so hopefully all will be well.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 14-Jan-2019 22:14 Message #4733373
Dunno about you, but not sure if the site has been hacked, or whether Gordon just hasn't paid the bills.
The site is almost unusable for me. I just keep getting error messages.
Female
Sea Urchin  Female  Essex 15-Jan-2019 10:18 Message #4733384
Hi Minnie, Yesterday I had a message came up from Firefox saying they had prevented access as site not secure, or had been configured wrongly or something like that. I had an option to click 'Advanced' and this gave me the option of adding MSE as an exception, which I did. Fingers crossed.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 15-Jan-2019 15:29 Message #4733393
I had the same thing, I think its firefox upgrading its security stuff to not allow sites that are insecure, good to know if its something that wants credit card details, but for a site like this I did the same as Sea Urchin.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »