Conversation Society, News and Sport
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Falling asleep

whilst listening to things

Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 8-Dec-2018 14:56 Message #4730432
There are plenty of things that people fall asleep to. ( my posts, for instance ) ps. why are you all nodding?

Some of the them are called things like 'sleep learning', or subliminal messages or various other names. Designed to feed information in, even whilst asleep.

I often am able to fall asleep to soothing music, or more recently, there are audio on youtube with things like rain showers, thunderstorms, sea waves, even rail journeys and air flights.

Lately though, I have been listening to a lot of audiobooks, radio plays, or just general stuff on audio. Headphones on, it helps rest my eyes, which I am having a bit of trouble with at the moment.

But, maybe due to some of the pills I am on, and the heart itself, I am falling asleep whilst listening to these things, even in the day. I wake up, after half an hour, or an hour or whatever, and have missed most of the audio. Some I play back again, others I haven't.

It makes me wonder what kind of stuff I am taking in, whilst falling asleep. It it is meant to help you store information in your subconscious state, I wonder if any could be damaging.

I have recently woken up from one such scenario. There I was listening to an eerie audio play about ouija boards, and then next thing I knew, I woke up about 40 minutes later. I have just started replaying the audio, and the ouija board spelled out 'you are going to die tonight'

Now, I don't believe in ouija boards in 'real life'. They are a load of old rubbish, in my opinion. Only good for scary stories and things, and I only found the 'message' whilst replaying the audio drama, but if I'm not here tomorrow, you will know why.

Can your subconscious take in any dangerous messages? What about if you fell asleep to Morrisseys 'Hang the DJ'. Is it a case of police protection for the likes of Simon Bates ( I'm a bit out of touch with todays names ) or Steve Wright in the afternoon?
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 8-Dec-2018 15:14 Message #4730433
I have just done that thing that I often do. The mention of Morrissey has made me go to youtube and watch and listen to the song, which is called 'Panic' by the Smiths, if anyone else wants to know.

ps. I didn't fall asleep though, so Simon Bates lives another day. lol
Female
Bewildered  Female  Norfolk 8-Dec-2018 15:25 Message #4730434
I rarely fall asleep to anything but did nod of when watching Lord of the Rings but that was through shear boredom lol

Also annoyingly nod the off when listening to my hypnosis sessions online. I always seem to miss the last section and only waken when the laptop beeps.
Female
Clocky  Female  the West Midlands 8-Dec-2018 17:19 Message #4730438
If im struggling to sleep i only have ro put a Stepheb Fry book on Audiobooks and im dead to the world.
Morriseys Audiobook didnt have the same effect ...it was an eye-opener ...'scuse the pun.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 8-Dec-2018 17:42 Message #4730440
Dunno, but I thought I would have 40 winks after lunch today and I woke up 3 and a half hours later. I'm not going to sleep tonight now, am I?
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 8-Dec-2018 17:53 Message #4730442
I don't listen to anything except the wind blowing around the house when I'm falling asleep, I would find it to distracting to have some noise on.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 8-Dec-2018 18:31 Message #4730444
I think I must be a bit weird because steady rhythmical noises easily put me to sleep - when I was a kid I was attracted to the vacuum cleaner.
I could easily fall asleep lying next to the tumble dryer...
Female
sandy_sw  Female  Devon 8-Dec-2018 20:47 Message #4730454
I'd be worried if I was attracted to a vacuum cleaner. Although, thinking of my past relationships ...yeah, perhaps inanimate objects :-)
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 8-Dec-2018 22:25 Message #4730463
Wasn't there some guy in the daily mirror who was attracted to the vacuum cleaner and had to be rescued by the fire brigade?
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 8-Dec-2018 22:32 Message #4730465
I would never have had you down as a Daily Mirror reader...
Female
joolsy  Female  Essex 8-Dec-2018 22:58 Message #4730470
Ha ha Minnie ya made me choke lol lol
Male
Nigel_In_Devon  Male  Devon 9-Dec-2018 06:47 Message #4730478
I'll usually have some old film on to stop my brain processing crap - helps me go to sleep.
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 9-Dec-2018 22:53 Message #4730521
Thanks for all your replies. A variety of ways of sleeping.

The steady noise thing seems to work for a lot of people. And some of the things that I fall asleep to, intentionally or non intentionally, contain steady sound, or steadyish. The rail one, or the aircraft flight for instance just simulate those noises. It can be quite soothing.

What I don't like is a lot of banging ( oo err misses ). the banging like...bang...bang...bang ( don't know why I am writing it out, you all know what banging sounds like.) I used to put ear plugs in, to sleep in the day, when I was on nights. Much needed.
Female
Tweetie Pie  Female  Oxfordshire 8-Mar-2019 11:05 Message #4736616
I woke up and decided to catchup on Corrie and Emmerdale. Fell asleep and had a dream about Paddy leching over me on a settee and two other female characters were snogging. We were trying to turn taps on and plug things in but nothing worked right...arggghhh

Female
Tweetie Pie  Female  Oxfordshire 8-Mar-2019 11:07 Message #4736617
I woke up and decided to catchup on Corrie and Emmerdale. Fell asleep and had a dream about Paddy leching over me on a settee and two other female characters were snogging. We were trying to turn taps on and plug things in but nothing worked right...arggghhh
Female
jennifer  Female  Gloucestershire 10-Mar-2019 10:39 Message #4736707
Took me three nights to see all of a episode of "Vera" on my Kindle! I kept falling asleep each night and the next night had to find the place on my tablet where I'd fallen asleep. No reflection on "Vera" .. I actually enjoy these programmes!!
Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex 11-Mar-2019 11:46 Message #4736752
Adverts on the telly, have to wake myself up.
Male
badman  Male  Suffolk 11-Mar-2019 15:48 Message #4736756
Powerpoint presentations.
Female
shewolf  Female  Somerset 12-Mar-2019 17:23 Message #4736794
I find it hard to go to sleep with out tv and hall light on im scared of the dark and I need a little noise that's the only way to sleep for me
Male
Eljer  Male  North London 12-Mar-2019 17:44 Message #4736797
I tend to fall asleep when i start snoring

Ile get me coat...

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »