Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Stand up!

Male
A_man_called_CHIOG  Male  South East London 19-Nov-2018 11:20 Message #4728836
Should children give up their seat to an older person on a bus or train? Do you find travellers good in this respect?
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 19-Nov-2018 11:57 Message #4728840
You see I think one of the downsides of equality (and I'm not just talking about male/female equality) is, we are being encouraged to think that we are all equally deserving of anything.
Maybe that's making us more selfish...
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 19-Nov-2018 21:05 Message #4728870
Lulu70,

I agree with you. I always expected my children to stand up and give their seat.
On the other hand, I notice some cultures do the opposite in my surgery room and parents choose to stand whilst their children sit. I am not sure if it is a cultural thing but it does seem to be mostly something we did from the 50's era. My mother always made me stand for others in those days.

My daughter would always offer her seat, but she has a hidden disability which is always difficult as people assume she is fit and well, but thankfully, if she is out, she is usually OK except for one instance she tried a long train journey and another kind young woman noticed her in distress and gave my daughter her seat. She was only mid 20's then, and thought she would have to get off the train just so she could lie on the platform!
Female
Madness102  Female  South Yorkshire 19-Nov-2018 22:25 Message #4728876
Welcome to the chat rooms Lulu, glad to have your input.

I do think youngsters should give up seats to people who are less able, i.e. have difficulty walking, with a stick, with crutches etc.

Years ago when I was very pregnant, a man on the underground literally raced to beat me to a seat - luckily a woman noticed this and gave me her seat - for whivh I was very grateful, as I was feeling quite nauseous and tired out at the time.
Male
HonestBob  Male  the Central region 19-Nov-2018 22:30 Message #4728880
Welcome Lulu :D

Yes, I think kids should be polite and give up a elderly or disabled person. Personally I wouldn't accept a seat from a child, I'm fit enough to stand, so if need be I'll stand.
Female
RAACH84  Female  Buckinghamshire 20-Nov-2018 07:09 Message #4728887
Both my kids would give up their seat for anyone who needed it but it’s not just kids as I could never be sat down while someone else was struggling to stand due to lack of seats. This happens regularly when we travel on the train to London.
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire 28-Oct-2019 06:35 Message #4760676
It a good thing that so many adults and children would automatically give up their seat to someone who appeared to need it more and I would do so myself. However nobody is obliged to do so. It’s a personal decision.
Female
Topaz53  Female  Northamptonshire 28-Oct-2019 11:09 Message #4760717
Being a child of the fifties, I was always taught to give up your seat to the elderly or a pregnant woman.
I have a hidden disability but look fit, this can cause problems in itself.
While I would always stand for anyone I thought needed a seat, I probably would put my own health at risk....tricky one for me.

However I do know my own children/ grandchildren wouldn't hesitate to .
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside 28-Oct-2019 13:36 Message #4760729
after using a lot of buses recently with a child, whose ticket I pay for, I insist for most he stays on his seat, so many rude people who think they deserve a seat and a child doesn't...…..
for anyone genuine I would give my seat up, but for the rude nasty people? no way...……..if ya can walk round town all day shopping walk to the back of the bus where there are seats
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside 28-Oct-2019 13:37 Message #4760731
after using a lot of buses recently with a child, whose ticket I pay for, I insist for most he stays on his seat, so many rude people who think they deserve a seat and a child doesn't...…..
for anyone genuine I would give my seat up, but for the rude nasty people? no way...……..if ya can walk round town all day shopping walk to the back of the bus where there are seats
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 28-Oct-2019 13:51 Message #4760733
I always sit toward the back anyway, my grandkids like sitting nearer the front, they give up their seat if a person appears to have difficulty standing or if someone with a buggy, or a person in a wheelchair needs the space.
A worse thing I've noticed is the numbers of people who choose to stand near the front even though there may be seats toward the back, makes getting on and off a much bigger problem - especially for people with mobility difficulties.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 28-Oct-2019 14:05 Message #4760734
Is a child's seat full adult price these days?

Though it doesn't necessarily mean they are less entitled to a seat, it is much easier for a small body to seat on their parent's knee or between their legs quite safely. They also have less momentum in braking whereas an older person might get flung down the bus. In fact a lady last week, aged 80, looks fit and well, but has broken her arm when the bus had to brake suddenly.

Also, may older people struggle with postural hypotension, where the blood pressure drops when standing, and they go dizzy. I am not on any meds but have struggled for years with low blood pressure which is invisible. I just "wilt" and feel dreadful, sometimes having to leave and walk instead.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »