Conversation Society, News and Sport
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Who owns

blackberries?

Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 11-Oct-2018 14:03 Message #4726831
Not the phoney type thing, but the edible berry things.

You often see them growing all over the place, often public places, and people picking them to make their pudding with, but someone probably has ownership of them, so is it just a case of taking them if nobody challenges you, perhaps leaving them if someone does challenge you, or telling them to go away, or do you own any that are, for instance, growing by your house? Have others got the right to pick any that you think are yours?
Male
barney  Male  Surrey 11-Oct-2018 15:17 Message #4726833
If they are in a hedgerow or field then I presume they belong to whoever owns the hedge and field.
If they are on common land then they are probably free to whoever picks them.
I have a big area at the front of my house that is covered by trees and in among them are brambles that have a lot of blackberries on them in Autumn. The mums and kids pick them on the way home from the primary school next door. It doesn't bother me and I am glad someone uses them.
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 11-Oct-2018 16:16 Message #4726835
all fruit is free...its called scrumping, innit !
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 11-Oct-2018 19:56 Message #4726847
We have wonderful blackberry bushes all round our fields and we own them. I wonder why you ask this question Tumbles,
Dont forget - do not pick them on roadsides, they will have absorbed all the Carbon Monoxide fallout from traffic - not at all healthy, yet you see so many pickers on the roadside.
Male
brisinger  Male  Lancashire 11-Oct-2018 20:21 Message #4726849
My garden is full of them. They like weeds and need fair controlling.
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 11-Oct-2018 20:54 Message #4726853
Thanks for the responses.

I was just coming up with some random rubbish Vic, perhaps to put in the resurrected survey thread, something like 'Have you ever knowingly pinched blackberries off private land, or apples or something', but then I remembered that I often wonder about these kind of things when I see anybody picking blackberries. I imagine blackberry wars and things like that, and people throwing blackberries at each other, and things like that.

As well as not picking them from roadsides, I have heard about not picking them from near the ground, as dogs have done a few things on them, but maybe nothing that a bit of a rinse wouldn't sort out.
Female
Sea Urchin  Female  Essex 12-Oct-2018 22:42 Message #4726907
i hsave been picking blackberries for as long as I can remember. Have never ever considered if owned by anyone, as once picked they are mine. Usually from hedgerows around fields or along river or canal paths, in fields just anywhere really. In the Peak District I have even come across the rare bush with wild raspberries. I have also picked wild plums and even cherries as well as apples. Oh and have collected a few mushrooms growing wild in fields also. Have never yet been challenged regarding anything I have picked.
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire 14-Oct-2018 16:38 Message #4726976
Don't forget that is against the law to pick or dig up wildflowers. No more daisy chains! (officially, anyway). I wish though that we had "rescued" some of the delightful wood anemones and flags (wild irisis) that used to be so common around here until they disappeared during development for housing and tidying of the public areas by the council in the 1960s and 70s.
Male
warmundeft  Male  Wrexham 14-Oct-2018 19:14 Message #4726991
Oh arr! Get out there and get harvesting!

But the various no-nos are well worth heeding, especially regarding stuff that is in a position to gather contamination. For example to echo TW, my ‘Big Boy’s Book of the Great Outdoors’ warns against eating yellow snow.

Sea Urchin, if your raspberry locality is the one that I’ve encountered, then at the western end of that delightful dale could be found the tastiest ice-cream in the country – but you probably already know that.

Aely: ‘guerilla gardening’ can be achieved if the intent is to re-introduce specific plants, but I will say that the process of jumping through bureaucratic hoops could lead you to taking a more direct, but sneaky route.

Bris – you might be in for the long haul even if your brambles do get a regular pruning down to ground-level. There have been cases where people take what they’ve got and try to cultivate them – then just watch the bu**ers die!

Enough!
Happy gathering all!
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire 14-Oct-2018 21:16 Message #4726995
This is good bramble country, to the extent that they pop up everywhere given half a chance - and the fruit is delicious. Nothing can beat the smoky flavoured goodness of a juicy wild blackberry, fresh picked.

I have allowed 3 bushes to survive along one edge of my allotment. Every year I cut down two of them nearly to the ground and also remove dead wood. The 3rd is just trimmed back to provide the bulk of the fruit for the following year.
Male
Beach  Male  Dorset 16-Oct-2018 02:16 new  Message #4727069
Obviously, stealing any fare from private property or private land might be regarded as theft but plucking nature’s gifts from the earth elsewhere could not ever be regarded as a sin or a misdemeanor … no more than spinning for, (and catching), trout or mackerel from some natural aquatic source is a crime … unless some particular fish species, like bass, are deemed ‘out of bounds’ due to some, apparent, current scarcity.

I’ve fished for bass every summer, for years, arriving on Eype beach at dawn and walking the several hundred yards West to spin for them off the rocks at the far end of Eype beach but, this year, any bass caught on rod and line must be returned to the water intact … as an act of conservation … by law.

As an aside, I’m disappointed to relate that the local guy who owns a stall selling fishing tackle at our local market, (Wed and Sat) and car boot, (Sun), casually told me that he disregards such laws, stating “It’s just the odd bass” he catches …

I bit my lip and chose not to make a fuss but … I’ve now encouraged many local anglers NOT to frequent or buy from his stall. I consider the poor advice he offers, (as a vendor), to be damaging, especially if he is decanting such wilful opinion to young or novice new anglers.

As to hunting, fishing or foraging in general …

As a species, such pursuits are written right into our DNA, (and all of nature), so I’d say plucking blackberries from ANYWHERE was, probably, quite OK … even though I opened this reply by admitting that ‘stealing’ any such fare ‘might be’ regarded as theft! :-)

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »