Conversation Society, News and Sport
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

New minister responsible for suicide prevention

1 2 3 Next >  Last >> 

Female
KatieBubbles  Female  West Sussex 10-Oct-2018 15:34 Message #4726785
The government are taking action to assist the Samaritans with almost £2 million and the charity CALM said they were thrilled. The report I read showed that suicides by females has gone down but suicides by males are rising. Even during my lifetime I have lost a number of friends and a family member to suicide.
It is World Mental Health Day and good to know more is being done to help those with mental health problems.
Male
mancers  Male  Greater Manchester 10-Oct-2018 17:52 Message #4726790
£2 million will keep someone in a job but what about the people at risk they will need much more than this people pleaser.
Female
RAACH84  Female  Buckinghamshire 10-Oct-2018 18:39 Message #4726796
A large cash sum is to help combat suicides and a new minister to oversee sounds like the government are certainly trying to do the right thing mancers or does it only count when Labour do something?
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 10-Oct-2018 18:42 Message #4726798
As long as its responsive to real situations and accepts that the same solutions don't work for everyone then I think its about time, the suicide rate is a national disgrace as is the amount of self harm.
Male
mancers  Male  Greater Manchester 10-Oct-2018 18:46 Message #4726799
If Labour offered £2 million I would give the exact response, maybe we should have a BBC charity night with Saint Bob effing and Jeffing these usually make £100 million give or take a few quid, no it not enough to cover Grt Britain much more is needed.
Male
mancers  Male  Greater Manchester 10-Oct-2018 18:48 Message #4726801
I didn’t think it showed that I vote Labour, I try to be impartial.
Female
RAACH84  Female  Buckinghamshire 10-Oct-2018 18:50 Message #4726802
Every branch of the NHS and every charity could make use of more money but it’s not always the best solution. How the money is used can be of more importance. It just seems Theresa May is doing a lot of things I agree with lately and I’ve become used to seeing a lot of unjustified criticism.
Male
mancers  Male  Greater Manchester 10-Oct-2018 18:59 Message #4726804
It’s always been said that there are too many chiefs and not enough injuns in the NHS, I’d like to know how many are on 100K plus, with the amount of taxation in this country, you would think Governments would have it sorted, they are there to govern.
Male
warmundeft  Male  Wrexham 10-Oct-2018 20:39 Message #4726808
Yes indeed. All eyes on Jackie Doyle-Price in her new job, but as Mancers highlights, of no small importance is how the funds are spent rather than what the total budget is. Perhaps we wait with bated breath for the 'Brexit bonus'. Ah - jam tomorrow.
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside 10-Oct-2018 21:12 Message #4726809
This should be done through the health ministers job not taking money from the fund to pay a new minister, we have enough high paid ministers and while I agree with the suicide prevention getting money I do not see the reasoning on getting a new minister
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 10-Oct-2018 22:49 Message #4726812
When you read all the crap about women this and women that, it's no wonder men want out in increasing numbers.
The latest "gem" is calling women, womxn to get away from patriarchal language - Dr Clara Bradbury-Rance, fellow at King's College London, said the spelling "stems from a longstanding objection to the word woman as it comes from man, and the linguistic roots of the word mean that it really does come from the word man".
Yep, it's really happening folks, these people are seriously messing with our lives, no wonder so many people have anxiety issues...
Female
KatieBubbles  Female  West Sussex 11-Oct-2018 07:59 Message #4726818
Every action by government will have its critics and rightly so but often a move in the right direction can be appreciated and I do believe this is a good move in the right direction. Much more than ever is being spent on mental health and it has been far too long coming.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 11-Oct-2018 11:50 Message #4726825
Hiero I agree that this spelling is ridiculous, but I think thats another thread, rather than turn this one into another rehersal of gender wars.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 11-Oct-2018 12:02 Message #4726826
I disagree - I find it ironic we are supposed to embrace mental health issues, yet nobody seems to give a jot about the constant drip, drip, drip of pro-female, anti-male stuff that's around.
My feeling is, this must undermine self-confidence in people who are subjected to it day in, day out - Every suicide is a tragedy, but male suicides outnumber female suicides by quite some amount, that should be concerning for everybody.
We are told suicide is a cry for help right? Maybe being male isn't the walk in the park society would have us believe...

Female
nellieredshoes  Female  West Yorkshire 11-Oct-2018 12:46 Message #4726829
I hear what you are saying heiro but because something is pro-female does not mean it’s anti-male.

It can be difficult being at the moment irrespective of gender. I think anything that helps alleviate mental health issues is to be welcomed though whether appointing a minister for suicide is the way forward is another matter.

I believe I read the the woman concerned said she’d rather kill herself than join UKIP. Only read the headline so no idea if out of context but unfortunate anyway.
Male
SandyBeach  Male  Lincolnshire 11-Oct-2018 13:58 Message #4726830
Why do they need to appoint a minister?
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 11-Oct-2018 18:38 Message #4726839
So if theres a minister for suicide prevention why are you assuming that its not going to take male suicides seriously? I think one of the important things is to recognise that men and women often use very different means to commit suicide, women are more likely (apparently) to overdose which means they're more likely to be found and hospitalised, whereas men often choose more violent means where theres not so much of a chance for someone to find them and stop them.
Male
mancers  Male  Greater Manchester 11-Oct-2018 19:36 Message #4726842
I can just see the cabinet sitting around the table, “ what are we going to do Prime Minister, we are behind Labour in the polls and the damn Irish are not backing us” the Prime Minister says “ Let’s pretend we care, we’ll throw in a few pound to suicide watch and get another ministerial post in the bargain”.
Female
KatieBubbles  Female  West Sussex 11-Oct-2018 19:43 Message #4726845
That is true wonderoushen. My family member who was female overdosed several times before succeeding in killing herself. Two of my make friends used more direct means and succeeded first time.
Only those involved could know if a minister will make a big difference but I think it will concentrate things on suicides and depression and causes of suicides rather than just include it with other similar illnesses.
It’s good to see the government putting more money into mental health but also the millions to help the Samaritans who do such a fantastic job.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 11-Oct-2018 22:09 Message #4726855
..."what are we going to do Prime Minister, we are behind Labour in the polls"

Voting Intention: Conservatives 42%, Labour 36% (30 Sept - 1 Oct)...
Male
mancers  Male  Greater Manchester 12-Oct-2018 10:51 Message #4726866
Dream on , the Daily Mail tell little porky’s, anyway back to subject how far do you think £2 million will go, it will probably buy a packet of tea bags for each mental health office, people are easily fooled.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 12-Oct-2018 11:08 Message #4726868
I know it sounds like a daft thing to say but maybe more research needs to be done into why people commit suicide? Whats behind it all and look at what the different ways people choose to commit suicide say about wider society? I heard it said that women think much more about who will find them and how they'll be found and are far more likely to leave less mess, its like they want to tidy themselves away, whereas men often choose more violent and "messy" ways to end things, are they making a statement about how little impact they feel they have on the world, that only on leaving it do they feel able to make a bold statement?

I know this is contravercial, but I think we need to ask ourselves as a society some hard questions about what we expect people to live with, many of us have an idea of when a physical illness gets to the point that we wish to bring forward the inevitable. But we don't have the same for mental illness, we seem to dismiss the desire to make it all stop, to end the pain as an amorphous part of the illness rather than a symptom of the progression of the illness. We need better drugs for mental illnesses, but we also need better earlier interventions, more counsellors and psychotherapists who are allowed to treat clients for as long as meaningful inner work is being done, not 6-10, 45minute sessions. CBT and now EMDR seem to be seen as cure alls and I'm sure they're not, I have real worries about things like symptom subsitution with CBT, you may be "cured" of the presenting problem but the inderlying one isn't dealt with and festers away in the background only to reappear somewhere else, then you have to go back for more CBT and it becomes a merry-go-round.

I also think we need more inititives for getting men to talk about their problems, I recently saw one involving builders, it was modelled I think, on the prostate cancer awareness campaigns which have been quite sucessful in getting men to seek help earlier. Men need to talk to other men to have the sort of support networks women so often have.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 12-Oct-2018 11:23 Message #4726871
Daily Mail?! How dare you, the figures are from Yougov.
People are easily fooled, that's why Corbyn and his cronies are on 36%.

"So if theres a minister for suicide prevention why are you assuming that its not going to take male suicides seriously?"

Maybe they will - my point is male suicide has always been at higher levels - males murder more and generally commit more crime yet nobody seems to ask the question why. It seems to be accepted as inevitable.
I know social media is not popular on here, but it's very popular amongst younger people. Twitter in particular is full of pro-female stuff. Yesterday was "the day of the girl" where girls were celebrated and encouraged. The day before was "womeninSTEM" day and so it goes on.
Inevitably, a few males asked "when is it the day of the boy?" which was met with answers like "it has been for the last 1000 years" and "now you know what it's like to be female".
All of this, combined with groups saying that woman should be spelt womxn to erase any connection to "man", hardly fills males with a sense of belonging, inclusion or boosts their self-worth.
I'm a 52 year old bloke, I have some experience of life, this stuff irritates and saddens me, but not to the extent I'm about to throw myself under the nearest train. Younger males might not be so apathetic...
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 12-Oct-2018 11:26 Message #4726872
Actually spelling women womxn dosen't fill me with a sense of belonging or inclusion either.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 12-Oct-2018 11:39 Message #4726875
People making these decisions are not looking at why this is happening, only the consequences and putting a lip service plaster on the problem.

Today, on my social media feeds from MPs, disability services, NHS etc. a woman pleads,

"Stop UNIVERSAL CREDIT IMMEDIATLY!!
I have a family member on UC for 7-8 months and he is struggling like hell!!!
He can not read or write his debts are rising daily!!
He was on ESA then went for a examination he had 14 and half points as he has very bad depression and alsorts of problems!!
Then once he went on to UC they told him he had NO points!!
By the time he pays rent food has electric, tv licence then the debt he owes there is no hope for him!!!
He is only allowed three food parcels PER YEAR SO HE HAD THREE SO CANT GO TO ANY OF THE CHARITIES FOR HELP
BECAUSE NO ONE BLOODY CARES FULL STOP!!!"

When we have thousands left in such financial straits, no wonder, like my daughter, some feel the only way out is suicide.

1 2 3 Next >  Last >> 

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »