Conversation The Forum
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

MSM and WSW

Really?

Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside 1-Oct-2018 18:25 Message #4726250
Do you know what they stand for? I.ll tell you,
Men who sleep with men

Women who sleep with women

I don't understand the new name, can you explain it to me?
For years the LGBT people have fought hard to be recognised and accepted legally and morally for who they are, now health officials are using these.instead of or as well as gay,bi,

For years I,ve read about people not wanting to be labelled, but proud to be gay, is this not taking away their sexual identity?
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 1-Oct-2018 18:38 Message #4726253
I thought MSM stood for Methylsulfonylmethane. ( ok, I just googled it..)

and I thought WSW was the direction West south West.

I will have to be careful the next time I ask for MSM..

People will come up with all sorts. It is difficult to know which are offensive or not.

I can be one of the least PC people on the planet. I have often used a lot of the comedy descriptions for being gay, always have and always will. For instance, Jim Royle saying about Elton John, a few years before he set up with his bloke, 'he may have been married, but he still drops anchor in poo bay'. I don't mind what anyone else says, I found that funny, and so did Caroline Aherne and co, and that is good enough for me.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 1-Oct-2018 18:45 Message #4726257
I thought one was Main Stream Media.
Probably someone got offended by something so "officials" decided another name was needed.
A label is a label...
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 1-Oct-2018 18:49 Message #4726258
Sounds like a bunch of straight people have got together for a meeting and havn't got anything better to do than come up with daft accronyms.
Male
Timmee  Male  Hampshire 1-Oct-2018 18:50 Message #4726259
I thought MSM stood for Mainstream Media.

I think the idea behind all this new gender/identity speak is that previously un-PC folk should be FORCED to adopt the new 'WOKE' prescribed terms so that we learn habits of compliance and group-think.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 1-Oct-2018 18:53 Message #4726260
I'm presuming that WOKE is another accronym? What does it mean? It sound smore like a way of making everyone but an in few sound un PC.
Male
TheSarcasticOne  Male  Essex 1-Oct-2018 22:22 Message #4726272
LOL . . . . BTW

I hate these short hand versions and other acronyms.

Working in a place where people "try" to use them can get confusing.

Worst is when they think they are using one and they are not as it means something different to what it is normally used for.

Or, and this happened today. Using the same short hand for several different things. A main group it has one meaning, then in several sub groups it means something different to each one.

Just say things in plain English, so it 3/10's second longer, but you won't be explaining what you really meant for the next hour.
Male
barney  Male  Surrey 2-Oct-2018 17:07 Message #4726312
No point in asking me. I thought LBGT was a sandwich.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 2-Oct-2018 18:34 Message #4726313
Lettuce, bacon and tomato, but what did you think the G stood for?
Male
TheSarcasticOne  Male  Essex 2-Oct-2018 19:21 Message #4726316
Gerkin?
Female
gentlepurr  Female  Staffordshire 2-Oct-2018 21:51 Message #4726327
Whats in a name? I always say you can call me whatever you like, - as long as its not late for my dinner...
Male
HonestBob  Male  the Central region 2-Oct-2018 22:24 Message #4726328
"I'm presuming that WOKE is another accronym? "

I think it's just basically a term for some one who is anti white male.

Not 100% sure though, just what I have seen it associated with recently.
Male
Timmee  Male  Hampshire 3-Oct-2018 11:13 Message #4726347
"I thought LBGT was a sandwich."

An 'LBGT Sandwich' sounds rather risqué.

And for W.Hen: 'Woke'

Woke is a political term of African American origin that refers to a perceived awareness of issues concerning social justice and racial justice. It is derived from the African American Vernacular English expression "stay woke", whose grammatical aspect refers to a continuing awareness of these issues. [Wikipedia]

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »