Conversation Health and Wellbeing
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Blocked ear?

Some doctors now charging to syringe

Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire 5-Aug-2018 11:12 Message #4722208
Luckily not my surgery, but when I mentioned to a friend I had had to have an ear syringed after being deaf one side for a month she asked me how much they had charged. Her doctor's surgery charges £69 per ear!

I mentioned it to the nurse at my surgery when returning to have the other ear done (blockage not so bad but stubborn) and she said yes, many now charge as they get no government payment for the procedure.

I think this is so short-sighted, especially with elderly patients who could well be on a very low income. 2 ears needing doing would cost nearly a week's basic pension.. Ear problems not only cause communication problems leading to more social isolation but elderly people may already be a bit off-balance, wobbly on their feet - I have noticed I am more prone to wobbling - and a blocked ear can make this worse. It could cause a fall leading to a broken wrist or hip, putting considerable extra expense on the NHS, not to mention severely affecting the patient's well being and possibly causing a stay in a nursing home which could have been avoided.

A younger person on a low income also might not be able to afford the cost and depending on the work they do and the severity of the blockage(s) it could leave them unfit for work, "on the sick", and even less able to afford the treatment.

What is your opinion of the charge? Does your surgery charge for this 5 minute treatment?
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 5-Aug-2018 11:37 Message #4722211
Aely I'm horrified at the thought of people being charged for this, thank the Gods we still have an NHS in Wales. Are some surgeries charging because syringing isn't recommended anymore for blocked ears? Don't they recommend bicarb of soda drops to soften earwax now and think syringing can cause more harm than good long term?
Female
Blue-Poppy  Female  East Yorkshire 5-Aug-2018 11:43 Message #4722213
I think you may be right WH; my doctors were very reluctant to syringe my ears a couple of years ago - said it is no longer a recognised procedure, they have other methods.
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire 5-Aug-2018 12:11 Message #4722217
WH I had to use Bicarb drops for a week before they syringed after Otex and then Olive Oil had both failed to soften it.
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 5-Aug-2018 20:24 Message #4722234
I once tried earex, the day after everyone seemed so noisy.
Have you used olive oil?
Your ears are self cleaning, sometimes a little olive oil is all that is needed.
I used to have a friend called Discharge because of the amount of brown stuff that came out of his ears.
His mum said he would never need brown shoe polish.
Just try a little olive oil every morning.
Should get rid of the crusty bits.
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 5-Aug-2018 20:27 Message #4722235
Just noticed you have used olive oil, would need to be used more than a week.
You must have some serious crusty bits.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 5-Aug-2018 20:41 Message #4722236
Seems fair to me if it's no longer a standard procedure, I guess treatment has moved on and the NHS has to be selective.
I had my ears syringed about 45 years ago, I don't know anybody who has had it done since then...
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 5-Aug-2018 20:45 Message #4722237
You can find ear syringing kits in antique shops.
Why not try a diy syringe?
Not sure what would be best solution to use, but best not to use petrol or anything like that.
Since the NHS are not so keen to syringe, it might be a business opportunity.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 7-Aug-2018 08:34 Message #4722271
I think its disgusting that doctors should even think of charging for it - anyway - the nurse does it all the time here. My other half has his ears done every 6 months and its always been a nurse, never a doctor.

Why on earth dont the surgeries charge people a fine for not keeping appointments - that would bring in some revenue as the surgeries always display the number of non attendees on the desk now.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 7-Aug-2018 10:25 Message #4722277
Our surgery are talking about kicking people off their lists is they're no shows more than 3 times without a good reason which could be a better option than fines, but round here it can be hard to find another GP. Our surgery could do with more nurses its harder to get an appointment with the nurse than it is with the doctor. Its all very well saying that ear syringing dosen't work, but what if the recommended treatments don't work either and syringing does?
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 7-Aug-2018 10:26 Message #4722278
Why on earth does anybody need their ears syringed every 6 months?...
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 7-Aug-2018 12:29 Message #4722283
w/h,

i cant see how kicking people off their lists would work, because when these people really are ill they will just go and clog up A&E.

then there is the GP,S oath where they are duty bound to help the sick, and that they shall cause no harm, etc.

i agree something needs doing but i dont know what the solution is.
its taken me 3wks to see my doctor
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 7-Aug-2018 18:44 Message #4722296
Its not my policy fosy, just one being considered by y GP's practice, I agree that it will lead to people going to A&E, but at our A&E you're triaged and if they think its something a GP can deal with you're given an appointment with one of thier GP's, this does leave hospital space for those who need it whilst allowing those who can't access a GP able to see one. I don't know what the answer is either, but at least with the system proposed by my GP's you get chances and if it was something like your car breaking down and you could produce the print out given by the AA or someone then that would be a good reason, rather than can't be bothered.
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 8-Aug-2018 22:57 Message #4722433
"Its not my policy fosy"

i never thought it was, i fully understood what you said.

Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 9-Aug-2018 10:35 Message #4722453
Your post sounded a bit accusatory, but lets not fall out over it, its just the sort of misunderstanding that happens when writting, eh?

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »