Conversation Dating and Relationships
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Time for a late 'Spring Clean?'

Is that really you in that photograph or was it taken 10 years ago?

1 2 Next >  Last >> 

Male
Mikejon  Male  Lincolnshire 25-Jun-2018 21:50 Message #4719555
I note of the 13 would be daters in my area, most have been on this site for perhaps up to 10 years... I am consoled by this as I thought it was only me that was being unsuccessful with partners. MSE should have a policy of say 3 years max - not a ban - just an interregnum for these individuals. It would be interesting to look into the motives of why folk persist in advertising themselves. Myself- just to declare that I'm alive and kicking!
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside 25-Jun-2018 21:56 Message #4719557
Hoping to find love?.lol
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 26-Jun-2018 10:33 Message #4719579
MSE is here for more than just dating, I come here for the boards, my photo's old, I don't have a camera and don't know how to get a new photo on here anyway.
Male
zodiac1  Male  Flintshire 26-Jun-2018 10:50 Message #4719582
It obviously wont matter to the many on here, especially those so old now who many have already popped their clogs. women in particular seem to keep a " forever " pic so that they can seem attractive.. not everyone wants to date anyway, as wonderoushen said.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 26-Jun-2018 10:56 Message #4719583
Ha ha, do you think I keep that picture because I think it makes me look attractive?
Female
nellieredshoes  Female  West Yorkshire 26-Jun-2018 11:48 Message #4719584
I’m with hen on both her replies.

I’m not averse to dating but I’m certainly not expecting it and I can’t be fussed to go through all the hassle entailed in taking and uploading another photo.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 26-Jun-2018 13:29 Message #4719591
It is also a friendship site, dont forget. I am not looking for dating now as I have a partner, but I was at one time. I only ever met 2 people on the site who were very nice but we were not for each other.

My photos are about 10 years old and mainly cos I keep forgetting to change them
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 26-Jun-2018 19:39 Message #4719609
I certainly hope that Gordon doesn't introduce an interruptus. Although, I doubt that much coitus goes on, on this site.
Most of us would fall into at least one of the following categories; too bloody old, can't be arsed, terminally disappointed by the opposite gender, grumpy old man or woman, boring old fart. We are all doomed.
And some of us are only here for the beer.
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 26-Jun-2018 20:00 Message #4719612
Its very important to have an up to date photo.
Male
Horiss  Male  central London 27-Jun-2018 10:32 Message #4719650
I've been in this situation many a time. Met up with someone that's nothing like there pic.
It is off putting to say the least. If your and old romantic and your hearts skipped a beat because of the picture and the conversation you've have. It's really deflating meeting someone else than the pic. Men are very visual so they say, I know I am. That doesn't mean to say I was looking for a model far from it.
All those just on here for a chat, the old picture is fine.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 27-Jun-2018 22:02 Message #4719692
Mikejon,

I didn't come here to date but make new friends. I was recommended to MSE because they used to have some walking meets and we still meet now, off site, we meet around a 50 mile locality or so. I was quite naive and thought when a site said "friendship", that is what it meant, but quite a few men would make the comment I wasn't welcome and must be messing about, or I was too tall, or not a size 10, or didn't want to dance. I realise now I was on guard because having two disabled adults living with me probably could have put some off anyway but paradoxically, not dating seemed to put me in a position of meeting men who just happened to be the type to be happy to pass the time in transition. Consequently, I made some lovely long term genuine friends of both sexes including introducing two couples who since got married.

I think when a long marriage ends people react differently. Some want an instant relationship to fill the void and run from disaster to disaster, but I have been very lucky in coming across really nice people, men and women who have been happy to pass the time with no agenda.
Female
Helenuk1963  Female  Gloucestershire 29-Jun-2018 11:27 Message #4719783
I came, I saw, I dated, I married, I stayed on the site for friendship.
Male
mancers  Male  Greater Manchester 29-Jun-2018 11:30 Message #4719785
MikeJohn has anyone told you that your a double for Jack Charlton.
Male
Mikejon  Male  Lincolnshire 1-Jul-2018 16:48 Message #4719916
I'm flattered 'mancers' -shame I 've got two left feet!

Female
twinkle2  Female  Hertfordshire 1-Jul-2018 18:44 Message #4719930
My photo had the date it was taken, I think last year. Currently updating mine as I had my hair cut short two week's ago.
Female
Judance  Female  Berkshire 1-Jul-2018 21:27 Message #4719949
Just approved it Twinks

Mine was taken about a month ago
Female
Mumsie  Female  Warwickshire 2-Jul-2018 13:03 Message #4719993
Some of us don't give a thought to changing to a latest photo
Don't look much different these days , maybe the odd wrinkle more to see
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 2-Jul-2018 13:35 Message #4719995
I put up a photo in 2012 when I joined the site and it was on displaty for a few years. My success with the ladies has greatly improved since I took it down.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 28-Jul-2019 07:34 Message #4746604
Thought I'd bring this back on the boards 'cos it's Sunday morning and I'd nowt better to do. Mine is years and years old, I look like one of them things from a martian film now, or maybe the curry from red dwarf
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London 28-Jul-2019 08:07 Message #4746605
I joined this site in 2005 when I was just a lad and put my, then recent, photo on my profile. As the years passed and I was still meeting up with the wonderful ladies of mse there was one or two mentioned my hair looked less grey in my photo than it did in the real world.
It’s a fact that many of us can’t see that we have aged or changed and I thought my photo, which was ten years older by the time I changed it, still looked just like me. The photo I now have is recent but for some reason is only displayed when my profile is viewed.

Minnie-the-Minx. That is a good post lol. I thought all that “only here for the beer” was a euphemism!
Male
Beach  Male  Dorset 28-Jul-2019 10:04 Message #4746611
I'm not concerned about photos becasue I'm only here to be trolled, abused, humiliated and made fun of. ;-)
Male
OnlineMSE  Male  Essex 28-Jul-2019 10:45 Message #4746613
Mikejon 25-Jun-2018 21:50
I note of the 13 would be daters in my area, most have been on this site for perhaps up to 10 years.

I think you're reading way too much into the length of time people might have been members.
You'll probably find that most of your 13 haven't even logged in for most of those 10 years.
As someone used to be very keen on pointing out once you're at the Hotel California you can check out but you can never leave !!
Male
Beach  Male  Dorset 28-Jul-2019 11:33 Message #4746616
Yes, O.P.

This is NOT a dating site.

I repeat; Midsummer's Eve is NOT a dating site!
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside 28-Jul-2019 12:52 Message #4746630
mine was took 22nd june 2019 at my grandsons communion...lol..
Male
tsunamiwarrior  Male  Hertfordshire 28-Jul-2019 14:49 Message #4746639
An interregnum. Not my first thought.

1 2 Next >  Last >> 

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »