Conversation Help and Advice
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Painting textured doors

??

Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 18-Jun-2018 12:34 Message #4718948
We've got those doors with the wood grain texturing and they need repainting and I'm having problems, they're really difficult to sand properly, it seems like you've either got to go right down to bare wood or sand every little groove individually. Has anyone any experience with these sort of doors and has you any sugestions, other than getting new doors? I've got 8 or 9 of the things to do on both sides, I'm using good quality white gloss paint.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 18-Jun-2018 13:15 Message #4718952
Try wire wool or maybe paint stripper?
Do you need to get into every groove, surely just a rough up to get a key and then paint with gloss?...
Male
Toxophilite  Male  Leicestershire 18-Jun-2018 17:49 Message #4718962
I think they're probably spray painted in the factory, Hiero's suggestion sounds OK to me.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 18-Jun-2018 18:46 Message #4718965
I think they must be spray painted in a factory, I might try wire wool, the paint dosen't seem to stick properly and wants to run out of the grooves, I have managed one side of a door ok, with two coats, but it dosen't look right, the frames are glossy and smooth but the door looks very matt.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 18-Jun-2018 18:51 Message #4718966
Maybe they need undercoat - depends how good or bad your gloss is...
Female
leogirl  Female  Essex 18-Jun-2018 19:35 Message #4718970
"maybe you need undercoat" ??? One MUST us a good quality undercoat for a good finish , sanding the undercoat lightly before applying the topcoat. The topcoat is the cherry on the cake!
You would get a better finish using a good quality satin paint on grained doors or doors that are scratched by dogs.

Good luck Hen !

leogirl
Female
Helper icon Helper
PrincessFruitBat  Female  Essex 18-Jun-2018 20:53 Message #4718973
I too think you need an undercoat, Hen. I’ve heard really good things about one called “Zinsser Bullseye 123.” Apparently you barely need to sand before using it because it has excellent bonding qualities. Brushes wash clean in water too. I have the same doors as you and it was used recently in my home followed by Dulux Satinwood. The finish is pretty good.
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 18-Jun-2018 22:31 Message #4718977
have to agree with u/coat and satinwood.

todays gloss yellows so quickly due to EU regs which required a reduction of the solvent levels used.

i will never use gloss again.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 19-Jun-2018 10:59 Message #4718988
Thanks for the undercoat tip, I've only ever use undercoat on untreated surfaces, I'm using gloss because its harder wearing than satin wood and with dogs around we do need something harder wearing. I'm happy to have less solvents in my paint, I don't want to be light headed, headachy and live with the stink of it for days. I always use good quality paint, crown or johnsons I like decorating but not so much that I want to be doing it every year.
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 19-Jun-2018 11:15 Message #4718990
i have dogs too but i just wipe the satinwood down when it gets dirty.

johnsons gloss was the last i used and it yellowed, but we all have our preferences and mine is not having to repaint yellow woodwork after a short space of time.

having to gird my loins and get my arse in gear to do my lounge, a big job im not looking forward to, and will use a paint stripper to get the old gloss off and give a good base for the satinwood.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 19-Jun-2018 11:21 Message #4718992
I will have to do our lounge too soon, I' not looking forward to it, I've suggested that Mum and Manthing go away fro a couple of days so as I can get on with it uninterupted, but that suggestion went down like a lead balloon so I guess I will have to do it whilst tripping over them and all Mums ornaments. Monty has quite long claws like all greyhounds and he's a door scratcher, he can't bear to be on the "wrong" side of a door and gets quite bad seperation anxiety even after all these years, thats why I need durabilty and just wiping it down isn't enough.
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 19-Jun-2018 11:48 Message #4718994
in all honesty W/H, i dont know of any paint that would survive dog clawing.

my collie would stand with her front paws on the window sill, looking for the postie, then she would "scoot" along the sill as he walked by.
the result was not only removal of the paint but she has also deeply scored the wooden sill.
now shes too old to stand on her back legs i can think about replacing the sill in upvc.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 19-Jun-2018 18:50 Message #4719008
No I don't expect pain to survive dog claws, but gloss does last a bit longer.

Now I've got a different problem, one wall is a different colour to the others and I think a different type of paint as the emulsion I'm painting over it keeps sliding off and going patchy and horrible, 2 coats look like one and cutting in round the edges is a nighmare as the paints just disapearing. The other walls are fine, they've taken properly, so I know its not the paint I'm using or me being crap, anyone got any ideas?
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 19-Jun-2018 22:20 Message #4719013
sounds like its an oil based paint ?

might have to flat it and/or use a barrier paint.

Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 19-Jun-2018 22:24 Message #4719014
Sounds like you might be painting over silk emulsion, you need to lightly sand to get rid of the shine if you are trying to paint over it with matt emulsion...
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 20-Jun-2018 19:01 Message #4719044
It could be oil based, I will try sanding a bit and mixing some pva glue into a bit of paint and see if that helps too, I hope I don't have to put some kind of base coat on, what would be best to use if I do? I've just looked at another bit and some numpty has sealed the fire surround with a nice thick layer of what looks like clear silicon, now thats going to be a bugger to paint over!
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 20-Jun-2018 22:45 Message #4719059
re the silicon, how about removing it and using wooden trim instead, the sort you can buy from diy outlets in strips,mounted to the wall with a product like no more nails ?
upvc trim could work if the colours right.

obviously, if its too near the heat source it might not be a good idea.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 21-Jun-2018 11:59 Message #4719087
Its a mantle and surround on a mostly unused gas fire, the kitchen sees to be the only part of the house thats not been modernised for 20 years, if I had my way the kitchen would be gutted and redesigned totally, but I've been overruled. The gas fire is handy in winter when the heating has one of its periodic breakdowns. Maybe I'll take the mantle off and take it outside to repaint it and have a look at whats behind it.

I think you maybe right about an oil based paint being used, not only is my paint sliding about, but its getting sucked into the wall in a way I've only ever seen with walls that haven't been sealed properly. I'm even thing about wallpaper as an answer and I hate wallpaper, partly as I'm so cackhanded with it.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions, Batty I've got a wooden staircase and cupboard to paint soon and I think that undercoat sounds ideal for it, its a nasty cheap pine tongue and groove thing that looks like a cheap sauna, I think painting it will make the hall look bigger and brighter without this wooden lump.
Male
AussieWelshMan  Male  Co. Cork 26-Aug-2018 08:37 Message #4724069
I use non drip gloss on doors and skirtings and it still retains it's brilliant white finish. I see no yellowing.
Male
AussieWelshMan  Male  Co. Cork 26-Aug-2018 08:37 Message #4724070
I use non drip gloss on doors and skirtings and it still retains it's brilliant white finish. I see no yellowing.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »