Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Fine Dining

Would you include such a term in your profile

1 2 Next >  Last >> 

Male
GentleFella  Male  Buckinghamshire 6-Mar-2018 10:59 Message #4712972
One definition I have found is:
"The term Fine Dining brings to mind all kinds of images, from crisp white tablecloths to waiters in tuxedos. Fine dining, just as the name suggests, offers patrons the finest in food, service and atmosphere. It is also the highest priced type of restaurant you can operate"
Not sure what it conjures up in your mind but it makes my hackles rise when I read it
Male
HonestBob  Male  the Central region 6-Mar-2018 11:29 Message #4712974
"Not sure what it conjures up in your mind but it makes my hackles rise when I read it"

Well for me it, if it was written on a womans profile, it says to me... She expects a man to take her to wine and dine, at the fancies eatery in town, and he must pay for everything, just to be in her company. The man should also consider himself lucky to get the opportunity to do so!

If it's on a mans profile, he is trying to hint to the ladies that he will wine and dine them, waste frivolous amounts of his money on her... just to try and get in there. Just to have himself a few expensive dates, and a friendzone invitation.

That is the first thing that is conjured up in my mind.
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 6-Mar-2018 11:38 Message #4712978
on a womans profile...high maintenance.

on a male profile...idiot.

nowt wrong sitting in the carpark at mcdonalds,... letting your date watch others eat ;¬)
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 6-Mar-2018 11:42 Message #4712980
No I wouldn't, but that's not to say that I wouldn't like the opportunity now and again.

I am guessing that you might be concerned about the gentleman being expected to pick up the tab and if that is the case, I could well understand the rising hackles. Many women nowadays are in a position to pick up their own tab, so that old stereotype may no longer exist.

The crisp tablecloths and good service are nice, but being a bit of a foodie, the idea of going to a fashionable overpriced restaurant and be served plates of food that wouldn't satisfy the appetite of a flea goes against the grain with me. And as for this daft thing for serving food in miniature wheelbarrows, or on shovels, is blooming annoying. I even belong to an FB group called WE WANT PLATES. However, the idea of delicious food that is nicely presented with a nise bottle of wine is certainly very appealing. What not to like?
Female
leogirl  Female  Essex 6-Mar-2018 11:54 Message #4712981
I too like my steak on a plate not a slate . Tripple fried chips looks and taste like re-heated chips that were returned to the kitchen...
Fine dining is often a lot of noise on a huge plate

Leogirl. .
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 6-Mar-2018 12:06 Message #4712983
I think it's easy to overthink stuff like this - people use such terms to make themselves sound better to perspective suitors, a profile is your shop window after all.
Some would be attracted by such phrases, others would be put off. It's just another one of those generic terms people use to flesh out their profile because they can't think of original stuff. Work hard, play hard is another one.
I think most of us wouldn't say no to a bit of fine dining now and then...
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 6-Mar-2018 13:28 Message #4712990
I would have to say "I am quite partial to a bacon sandwich too" - does that count as fine dining. lol
Female
nellieredshoes  Female  West Yorkshire 6-Mar-2018 15:09 Message #4712992
I’m with Minnie and leogirl.

I wouldn’t deliberately seek to do it as I think I might find the surroundings a bit intimidating but it would be nice to experience it once so I can cross it off my imaginary bucket list.

I can also pay for myself so it would not cost some poor soul double to accompany me.lol
Male
londonlee  Male  Buckinghamshire 6-Mar-2018 17:24 Message #4712996
I can understand why some may show no interest in fine dining although I imagine, on most profiles, it just means they like to go out to a nice restaurant from time to time. I wouldn't put it on my profile in case others thought - well - what some of you thought!
I thoroughly enjoy fine dining and do so on a regular basis at some of the top restaurants and hotels but as anyone who has met me (I dont expect they will admit to meeting me on here LOL) I am certainly not a posh knobhead or elitist in any way.
Yes of course I pay over the odds for such meals but I don't drink, I don't smoke and I have no expensive hobbies or vices so I make the most of eating out.

I eat out in restaurants at least a couple of times a week but I also go to McDonalds a couple of times a week. I think there is a time and place for everything as long as I dont have to cook - or for that matter - sit around waiting for someone else to cook.

Maybe I'm a diverse individual with eclectic tastes - or maybe I'm just a bit odd!!!

Fine dining is just fine :)
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 6-Mar-2018 17:28 Message #4712997
I would go with being a bit odd.
Male
londonlee  Male  Buckinghamshire 6-Mar-2018 17:43 Message #4713000
Minnie!!! You promised you wouldn't tell anyone lol.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 6-Mar-2018 18:41 Message #4713001
I'd like to go to a top michelin starred restaurant, just to see what all the fuss is about, but I have enough trouble trying to find an ordinary restaurant thats worth the money. Most of the time I think that I could of bought in Iceland for 99p and heated it up myself. Maybe some people are trying to portray a certain image of themselves as sophisticated etc, to some that will come across as it has to some posters here, but you could say the same about peoples choices in clothing, cars, all sorts of things really, I guess they'll attract others to whom those things are important and everyone else will ignore them.
Male
Tramontana  Male  Greater Manchester 6-Mar-2018 18:45 Message #4713003
'Fine Dining'?

On face value, I really wouldn't read too much into it. Perhaps one could respond by asking them to elaborate about their food interests.

It's seems too simplistic to make assumptions about a person based upon a single phrase within their profile.

And you never really know about the personality of another person until you meet them in the flesh.

A Tram not wanting to judge a person on two words...
Female
coffeelover  Female  Norfolk 6-Mar-2018 21:50 Message #4713011
I interpret fine dining to mean more than just good food. It is the ambience, the level of service, the whole experience of dressing for the occasion and being treated to excellent service as well as having good food.

Female
Cassis  Female  Cambridgeshire 6-Mar-2018 22:09 Message #4713012
It's not something I'd put in my profile, but it's something I enjoy sometimes, and it certainly wouldn't put me off someone if I was looking at profiles on a dating site. In fact I'd be pleased that someone appreciated that sort of occasion. When dating someone new I'm always aware that might not be their thing when they ask me to suggest somewhere...it's a relief that I can suggest what I really think would suit the occasion without being thought some kind of snob,
Isn't it the same kind of thing as saying what music you like or what kind of books you prefer to read?
There's a lot of inverse snobbery about!
Think I agree most with your post, Londonlee.
Male
vanman  Male  Cambridgeshire 6-Mar-2018 23:29 Message #4713015
Cassis ...

"but it's something I enjoy sometimes"

Well your 'spoilt for choice' really aren't you,
what with Little Chef and Burger King at the top of the road,
and Henry's Diner, Ed's Diner, KFC, Mc Donalds, and The Noodles Bar, within about 3 miles!

That could be 'fine dining 7 nights a week! ( dunno about The Noodles Bar though!)
So make that 6 nights a week. (beans on toast at home on the 7th) lol ;-}
Female
Cassis  Female  Cambridgeshire 7-Mar-2018 01:28 Message #4713016
Ah, but, Vanners...such fine dining neutralises the palette after a while and one has to slum it, somewhere like at Hotel Felix down the road (down the lane near where NIAB used to be...I'm sure the widdawoman takes you there for a bite or two? :):)

Did you see there is now a Raymond Blanc Bistro in Histon, which is The Boot transformed? Very popular too - we wanted to eat there tomorrow night and it's all booked up...on a Wednesday night in a village?!!...in fact booked up all week and weekend. Guess there's always the chippy;)
Female
Cassis  Female  Cambridgeshire 7-Mar-2018 01:30 Message #4713017
* er...I did put "palate" before auto-correct muscled in...my spelling's not that bad!!
Male
londonlee  Male  Buckinghamshire 7-Mar-2018 06:48 Message #4713020
A sophisticated palate eating from a palette ... fine dining indeed.
Male
vanman  Male  Cambridgeshire 7-Mar-2018 08:43 Message #4713025
Yeah Cassis, I did see that 'posh' caff that's opened in what was The Boot.

I also saw the brand spanking NEW eatery in your village
Female
RAACH84  Female  Buckinghamshire 7-Mar-2018 09:33 Message #4713028
I would like to wine and dine at a top restaurant as long as I didnt feel uncomfortable. The last place I ate out was Prezzos with a nice gentleman from this site.
Male
badman  Male  Suffolk 7-Mar-2018 09:57 Message #4713029
Fine dining depends on who you're eating.

Eating with. Sorry. ;-)
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 7-Mar-2018 18:47 Message #4713052
I could cope with fine dining food, but probably not the dress code, I don't scrub up well.
Female
Cassis  Female  Cambridgeshire 8-Mar-2018 23:37 Message #4713105
Oh I think it's enjoyable to go places sometimes where you can dress up a bit. Most of the time it's making sure not to be overdressed for any occasion. I wish guys would take a bit more trouble by wearing nice clothes...many will go to dinner at a really nice restaurant in scruffy clothes.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 9-Mar-2018 11:14 Message #4713120
Dressing up might be nice if you can get anything to fit and you don't look like an overcoat on a wheelbarrow and feel just as awkward too. Whenever I dress up or wear something new, or go somewhere formal to eat or drink I develop a hole in my lip and drop food all over myself or something equally messy, I am the person in the restaurant who comes out of the loo with her skirt tucked in her knickers. I tell myself not to be paranoid and I'll be fine, that I don't have to go back there or see those people ever again, but it still feels like a curse and the Gods are laughing at me and setting me up.

1 2 Next >  Last >> 

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »