Conversation Arts and Entertainment
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Three Billboards

Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Male
Timmee  Male  Hampshire 13-Jan-2018 10:53 Message #4709526
I've seen the BBC Film Programme review and I've seen the trailer.
It looks absolutely fantastic (but be warned it's not Paddington Bear 2.)
If you love 'True Detective' (series 1) and the classic film 'Fargo', then you'll love the performances of Woody Harrelson and Fraces McDormand.

He's not in the trailer but I've just spotted that Tyrion Lannister is also in it.

I don't now about you, but I intend to see it as soon as possible.
Male
OnlineMSE  Male  Essex 13-Jan-2018 11:45 Message #4709533
Yep planning on seeing it.
That's Peter Drinklage for all those non GoT participants.
But plan to see Hostiles first before that as it's ending it's cinema run locally soon.
Female
Phoenixnights  Female  Nottinghamshire 14-Jan-2018 09:21 Message #4709565
Am seeing this this afternoon. Have heard good reviews so looking forward to it.
Male
Timmee  Male  Hampshire 14-Jan-2018 11:05 Message #4709578
Oooh tells us all about it when you've seen it Please.
Female
Phoenixnights  Female  Nottinghamshire 15-Jan-2018 19:07 Message #4709695
Timmee - it was excellent !

Not an easy watch as some graphic violence but first rate acting and script.

My only niggle is Sgt Dixon - I wont say anymore otherwise it would spoil it for you.

A must see, definitely. Apparently McDonagh got the idea from seeing similar comments on a Bilboard somewhere and wrote the story around it. Frances McDormonds part was written for her specifically.
Male
Timmee  Male  Hampshire 18-Jan-2018 18:48 Message #4709861
Am excited cos I'm off to see this at the arts cinema later tis eve (8.45 pm screening.)
Male
Timmee  Male  Hampshire 18-Jan-2018 18:54 Message #4709862
ps. Just read this:

http://www.spiked-online.com/newsite/article/three-billboards-and-the-new-philistinism/20782#.WmDsP3nLj10

Can't wait!!!
Female
Phoenixnights  Female  Nottinghamshire 18-Jan-2018 20:29 Message #4709868
Oooh , let us know what you think.
Female
Phoenixnights  Female  Nottinghamshire 18-Jan-2018 20:35 Message #4709869
As you will have seen it by now, I didnt have a problem with Dixon being a rascist ( we all know that is alive and well unfortunately) , its the way his character seems to do a complete u turn after reading Willoughbys note. Really ? That extreme ?
Male
Timmee  Male  Hampshire 19-Jan-2018 11:14 Message #4709899
NOTE:
I've tried NOT to include too many spoilers here - but it you are about to see the film, then perhaps you should leave off reading this til you seen it. If you're not planning to see the film, but are interested enough to be reading this, then I urge you to see it.

Here goes:
First of all I agree with you, Phoenix. The film was Excellent. It's a very long time since I've felt that money spent on a cinema ticket was so well spent.

I liked some things about director Martin McDonagh's previous movie 'In Bruges' and laughed at the jokes. Ultimately though, I didn't think it was a great film. It did not make me want to buy the DVD and re-watch it on regular basis.

I think '3 Billboards' is entirely more profound, & is such a film. Don't imagine it's entirely serious and gloomy - there are a lot of laughs moments of light. 3B's doesn't displace 'Chinatown' in the top slot as my absolute favourite movie, but it goes right up there with 'Thelma & Louise', 'Secrets & Lies', 'In The Heat Of The Night', 'Fargo', 'The Wire' (admittedly a box set - not a movie) and other long-standing faves. The movie takes a hard, penetrating look at people and community under severe pressure, so I felt there was sound artistic justification for the bad language and the violence. Woody Harrelson and Frances McDormand both met & surpassed my expectations (and those expectations were extremely high.) The whole cast was great.

Frances McDormand' performance: I imagine having said what she said in the heat of an argument and then having to live with what came to pass later! What a moment was the conversation with the deer!

As for the Officer Dixon argument, I think I agree with the line taken in the Spiked article. Both life and people are complex and full of nuance. If we block out all possibility of people who've previously said & done bad things ever reforming, then our world (and theirs) is bleak indeed. Officer Dixon is neither Pol Pot, nor Myra Hindley, nor Adolf Eichmann or Reinhard Heydrich - his crimes do not appear so systematic, calculated, nor so deeply rooted in a truly psychopathic nature (and I quote the evidence of one of the letters in the film for that belief being a rational one). I think that he could by a series of reverses, human interactions and revelations, be brought to reconsider is former views & behaviour. That's not to say that I believe he fully achieves sainthood status by the end of this movie.

If you liked this then you may want to take a look at the TV drama box set 'True Detective' (series 1) with Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey
Male
OnlineMSE  Male  Essex 19-Jan-2018 20:44 Message #4709921
It was enjoyable, because it was different.
Frances McDormand (who I didn't realise is married to Joel Coen, he of the Coen brothers who have made some great films in the same vein) was definitely good value for her Best Actress drama Golden Globe albeit that the part was written specifically for her.
But Globe Globe Winner for Best Movie of the Year.
Nah !
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire 22-Jan-2018 08:03 Message #4710129
Good film!
Female
nellieredshoes  Female  West Yorkshire 26-Jan-2018 14:48 Message #4710455
Well I've just spent a couple of enjoyable hours in my local arts centre watching this. £4 including coffee and biscuits can't be bad.

I say I enjoyed the film but I do have reservations; visually I loved it, liked the music, thought the acting was superb, in fact I was moved to tears at one point. Unfortunately there seemed to me inconsistencies which made me uncomfortable. The violence, which I understand was necessary, did not have the repercussions that the level of violence shown should have. It was almost like cartoon violence in its effects. People healed too quickly and too well. I'm afraid I also have the need for the right thing to win through in the end. The ending was for me far too ambiguous. It left those who feel it is right to take the law into their own hands almost carte blanche to carry out retribution.

Thanks for the heads up Timmee. Next week it's 'The Post' . Watch this space lol
Female
nellieredshoes  Female  West Yorkshire 26-Jan-2018 14:52 Message #4710456
Yes , also I wasn't happy with the glib about face of Dixon. I believe in redemption but it seemed too trite.

Male
Timmee  Male  Hampshire 30-Jan-2018 10:54 Message #4710796
I thought there was evidence of a dawning of the kind of calmness and reflection (of Willoughby's letter) in both protagonists, and reason for hope in the ending.
Female
nellieredshoes  Female  West Yorkshire 30-Jan-2018 14:21 Message #4710814
I do agree with that assessment Timmee but it still unnerved me thinking that there would be people out there who would take it as an incentive to retribution.
Male
Dustybin  Male  Suffolk 30-Jan-2018 21:46 Message #4710861
The guy from the advertising agency gets beaten up by the hothead young cop and thrown out of the window by him. The cop gets badly burned and ends up in hospital besides his victim. He apologises to him and the advertising guy pours him an orange squash and puts a straw in the glass!

And it must be said that McDormand's character was a fantastic thrower of petrol bombs . From inside the advertising agency to the police station she scored 4 out of 4 over a distance of 30 metres?

I enjoyed it, McDormand deserves her likely Oscar, but it is not as good as I hoped it would be.
Female
RoseyCheeks  Female  Nottinghamshire 5-Feb-2018 22:19 Message #4711294
I saw it as the realisation that he'd lost the best job he was likely to get that caused Dixon's turnaround. My only problem with the film was that the shouting match with the daughter was a bit on the nose.
Male
Dustybin  Male  Suffolk 6-Feb-2018 16:55 Message #4711343
A bit on the nose meaning unimaginative? Gosh, are teenage daughters and mums barneys always original?
Male
londonlee  Male  Buckinghamshire 13-Mar-2018 16:20 Message #4713380
I watched this at the weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it. Not brilliant but certainly very good and well acted. It made a nice change to watch something different
Male
Timmee  Male  Hampshire 13-Mar-2018 19:45 Message #4713388
"A bit on the nose meaning unimaginative? "

Well she hasn't come back to explain, but I took RosyCheeks to me that including Mildred saying exactly what she said to the daughter, the script writers were over-egging the pudding somewhat, and loading too much emotional baggage and guilt onto Mildred? I may be wrong in my reading of course.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »