Conversation Help and Advice
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Garlic

How do you use it?

Male
HonestBob  Male  the Central region 12-Jan-2018 13:06 Message #4709452
Hi Folks

So the other day I bought some garlic, it was to be used in the flavouring of a steak. The packet I bought had three cloves in it, I used a little bit of the clove on the steaks and used another little bit of the same clove in a toast and beans experiment, that didn't go too badly.

I'm now left with two whole cloves of garlic, that I want to use... but what do you do with them?

Any simple suggesting as to where I could add a bit of garlic here and there?

It isn't that I just can't stand to toss it away, I'd rather use it and I hear it have great health benefits.

Thanks.
Male
badman  Male  Suffolk 12-Jan-2018 13:10 Message #4709453
Chop or crush it and put it in a spaghetti bolognaise.
Male
HonestBob  Male  the Central region 12-Jan-2018 13:13 Message #4709454
Yes... I had Spag Bol the night before the steaks. Might have it again tonight. Thanks Badman :D :D :D
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 12-Jan-2018 13:30 Message #4709455
Just eat it raw, and then breath it all over everyone. That's part of the enjoyment of it.

Or you could grill it with cheese on toast.

Or chop the top off the full thing, and shove it in the oven for a while, or the microwave for less of a while.

Or garlic bread. Garlic bread? The future.
Male
Argonaut  Male  Lancashire 12-Jan-2018 17:25 Message #4709470
I prefer to use garlic puree which comes in tubes - that way it's so easy to experiment with and the amount used is far more controllable.

Jason.
Male
HonestBob  Male  the Central region 12-Jan-2018 18:46 Message #4709478
"Just eat it raw, and then breath it all over everyone. That's part of the enjoyment of it."

Yes well I could give the onions a break for a bit! :D :D :D

"Or garlic bread. Garlic bread? The future."

Well home made garlic bread was Youtubed just yesterday, it will be on the cards soon.

I used a little bit in a tuna mayo toastie... wasn't so good :D
Male
HonestBob  Male  the Central region 12-Jan-2018 18:51 Message #4709480
"I prefer to use garlic puree which comes in tubes - that way it's so easy to experiment with and the amount used is far more controllable."

Yes Jason that would be the sensible option... but I like the cloves, peeling the skin off, chopping it up and so on. The smell is still on your fingers for a while... :D :D :D
Female
Phoenixnights  Female  Nottinghamshire 12-Jan-2018 21:00 Message #4709490
Chop them and freeze them if you cant use them now. They freeze fine, Then put them in casseroles, cottage pie, pasta sauces, cheese sauces, potatoes dishes ... almost anything.
Male
HonestBob  Male  the Central region 12-Jan-2018 23:10 Message #4709501
"Chop them and freeze them if you cant use them now. They freeze fine"

Nice, never knew that. Live and learn as they say. :D :D :D
Male
Nigel_In_Devon  Male  Devon 13-Jan-2018 08:15 Message #4709508
Chopped in some olive oil & balsamic vinegar perhaps with some chopped chilli too as a salad dressing.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 13-Jan-2018 08:52 Message #4709509
Do you mean cloves or 3 heads of garlic? The clove is the individual wedge.
A head of garlic will last for ages if you store it somewhere dry and in the dark.
I buy the big bags of the extra large spanish ones from Costco and they last for months. I hang the next bag on a hook in my wee pantry.

Some people peel them and store them in a jar under olive until they need them. You can also roast them and puree them, but be careful as they singe very easily in the oven.

Roasted root vegetables with onion and garlic is lovely and goes nice with a roast or grilled meat and fish. I have done this to go with barbecues. Just chop the veg into chunks, add whole cloves of garlic and a little olive oil to baste them and stop them drying out. You can even add your sprouts to the mix. A little finely chopped mint if you are having it with lamb is really nice. Put them in a separate dish to the meat in the oven, or it can make the veg a bit too greasy.

You can also make a nice marinade for lamb chops/steaks, chicken thighs and oily fish, like sprats, fresh sardines, herring, with a tablespoon of olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, finely chopped garlic, rosemary or thyme. Marinade overnight in the fridge and then grill or pop in the oven, spooning some of the marinade juice over the meat before cooking.

Other than that, the usual stuff, soups, stews, chilli, spag bolog, moussaka, tuna pasta bake, curries etc.
Male
Nigel_In_Devon  Male  Devon 13-Jan-2018 09:37 Message #4709511
The mention of lamb reminds me...

Slice up some cloves of garlic.

Before putting the joint (of lamb!!!) In the oven make cuts in the meat and put a sliver of garlic in each cut. Then cook the meat as usual.
Male
HonestBob  Male  the Central region 13-Jan-2018 09:46 Message #4709517
"Do you mean cloves or 3 heads of garlic? The clove is the individual wedge. "

Eh... Must be a head of garlic, as each head has a few segments to them... like an orange.

"Other than that, the usual stuff, soups, stews, chilli, spag bolog, moussaka, tuna pasta bake, curries etc."

Spag Bol seems to be the favourite option for me so far... Don't know if I mentioned above but I chopped a wee bit up and put in with some Heinz beans and was delicious :D
Male
HonestBob  Male  the Central region 13-Jan-2018 09:48 Message #4709518
"Before putting the joint (of lamb!!!) In the oven make cuts in the meat and put a sliver of garlic in each cut. Then cook the meat as usual."

That is one of the techniques I use for the steaks, never used it for Lamb though.

Male
OnlineMSE  Male  Essex 13-Jan-2018 09:54 Message #4709519
Eh... Must be a head of garlic, as each head has a few segments to them... like an orange.

Er or even like cloves of garlic.
You could always experiment and wait until some of the cloves have sprouted roots and plant them in a large pot or container and grow them outside on a patio etc.
It'll take about 9 months for the plant to grow and reach maturity, which will give you plenty of time to come up with various other uses.
Male
HonestBob  Male  the Central region 14-Jan-2018 07:55 Message #4709558
"You could always experiment and wait until some of the cloves have sprouted roots and plant them in a large pot or container and grow them outside on a patio etc.
It'll take about 9 months for the plant to grow and reach maturity, which will give you plenty of time to come up with various other uses."

Well can't see that happening... Either the dog would eat them, or the local cats who seem to always be fighting, would scoff my Garlic heads...9 months of work gone to the cats!!!

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »