Conversation Society, News and Sport
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

TRUMP

1 2 Next >  Last >> 

Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire 10-Jan-2018 08:55 Message #4709267
When listening to a great many people speking about Donald Trump it seems most know he is an orange tinted guy with funny hair who uses twitter like a teenager and gets an enormous amount of press coverage but mostly for gossip and tittle tattle from a belligerent media.

What is the worst policy he has enacted which has resulted negatively?

What is the best policy he has enacted which has resulted positively?
Female
RAACH84  Female  Buckinghamshire 10-Jan-2018 10:04 Message #4709271
i agree with the statement and apart from the media rhetoric I only think of him as wanting to build a wall on the Mexican border and arguing with the North Korean leader although that might me more about the media than reality as South Korea's leader speaks highly of Trump helping bring the two sides into negotiations.
Male
Helper icon Helper
Chris2mates  Male  Lancashire 10-Jan-2018 10:07 Message #4709273
Well since he came to office, the US economy has significantly improved. Employment is better and US military has a stronger focus.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 10-Jan-2018 10:29 Message #4709280
Tax cuts for the mega wealthy, this impacts on the amount of money the US economy has coming in which impacts on all areas of government, the US has massive national debt, far bigger than ours. I think its fortunate that he's not been able to get much through both houses of government, the repeal of the affordable healthcare act or Obamacare as its also known would of left millions with little or no healthcare. America does have a massive problem with illegal immigration from across the Mexican boarder, but I'm sure building a wall and making Mexico pay for it wouldn't really help, not when there are miles of coastline and smugglers have already built tunnels under the boarder. I think they will need something a smarter than a wall to achieve anything real rather than symbolic.

I think the worst thing is saying it will move the embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem, this has seriously negatively impacted on Israeli- Palestinian relations and any chance of a peace process and negotiated settlement, it encourages Israel in its ilegal occupation of Palestine.

Trump's tweets against Londons mayor, taking comments of his out of context and seeming to want some kind of twitter war with him are absurd, Trump has supported far right groups in this country, some of whom are banned via his twitter feed.
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire 10-Jan-2018 11:10 Message #4709290
I will mention health care for all being even more problematic thanks to the Trumpster.
Female
RAACH84  Female  Buckinghamshire 10-Jan-2018 11:16 Message #4709291
Wasn't there talk at one time that the healthcare subsidies paid by the government to the insurance companies was illegal?
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 10-Jan-2018 11:29 Message #4709295
I think the best thing about Trump are some of the 'sassy trump' videos on youtube. Nobody else on here seems to agree though. I do find some of them quite funny, as you can probably tell from my thread.

Seriuosly though, about Trump, I haven't totally studied everything that he is doing, but I think he is doing things that he said he would do if he won. That is the way I see it. Good on him. He is ruffling feathers, as expected. Whether the end result will have improved things or not, time will tell. I think he will see out his time in power.
Male
HonestBob  Male  the Central region 10-Jan-2018 23:11 Message #4709327
I don't know too much about the political side of things...

But during his campaign some idiot woman asked him something like "If you become president, will I be paid as much as a man?" and without any hesitation, with out thinking about appeasing the feminists, President Trump says "ONLY IF YOU DO AS GOOD OF A JOB"

That did it for me.
Male
BlackMark1  Male  Leicestershire 11-Jan-2018 06:54 Message #4709336
Why do you describe her as an idiot woman? It was a fair question.
Female
RAACH84  Female  Buckinghamshire 11-Jan-2018 10:46 Message #4709350
I thought the same Mark. When a new president takes office it would seem reasonable to ask about equality issues in the workplace.
Male
HonestBob  Male  the Central region 11-Jan-2018 10:52 Message #4709352
"Why do you describe her as an *idiot woman? It was a fair question."*

Yes it is a fair question...

Well I believe fully that women who work the same job as a man, the same hours as a man, and the same level as a man, get paid the same...I would even go as far to say, I believe there are even laws in place to enforce this. In the UK, EU and US at least, maybe not in every country in the world. For this woman to stand up, and ask if she will be paid the same as a man! I think is stupid, and she is clinging so dearly, to a false narrative and I'm so happy President Trump didn't waste his time with her.

Now Mark, I'm not suggesting for a single second, that the average woman makes the same as an average man, we know that not to be true. I believe it isn't down to women being paid less, I believe it's down to women choosing lesser paying jobs, and choosing to work less hours than a man for what ever reasons... therefore equaling less pay.

Me and my Mother both work for the same company, different roles but same company. Few months back we were chatting on the phone and she told me how much she got, my jaw hit the floor!!! I told her how much I got... her jaw hit the floor!!! I made more than three times what she made. She only works about 30 hours a week, no skills required really to do her job. I work 60 plus hours a week, in some what a skilled profession (Need a current up to date HGV licence)... Now in the above, the idiot woman I mentioned, she would say the company we work for is sexist and pays women less than men.
Female
RAACH84  Female  Buckinghamshire 11-Jan-2018 11:03 Message #4709353
I don’t agree Bob. I believe that most women would say that a female driver with HGV licence working 60 Hours plus per week should be earning the same as you. You have to compare like for like. I have a friend who drives articulated lorries and she earns exactly the same as the male drivers which is how it should be. I work in an office doing similar work to the men but we each have slightly different skills and experience which makes comparisons difficult.
Male
HonestBob  Male  the Central region 11-Jan-2018 11:08 Message #4709354
"I don’t agree Bob."

Did you actually read my post RAACH? Seems to be a miscommunication somewhere.

I agree, a woman driving HGVs 60 hours a week BETTER get the same as me, or that IS wrong.

Maybe I'm being stupid, I've re-read your post again... I don't see what you disagree with, as we both seem to be saying the same... Equal work for Equal pay.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 11-Jan-2018 11:15 Message #4709355
Carrie Gracie, BBC China editor paid less much less than her male eqivalents. Bob do you have to make every post in some sort of gender war? Isn't it time to put that particular hobby horse out to grass for a bit?

Male
HonestBob  Male  the Central region 11-Jan-2018 11:40 Message #4709358
"Bob do you have to make every post in some sort of gender war? Isn't it time to put that particular hobby horse out to grass for a bit?"

Oh yes, a man putting his point across in a very civilised, some what respectful manner, in part of a group discussion is fueling a gender war. You may get your wish one day where men will sit silently, waiting to be spoken to before speaking, and the laws will be stacked so heavily against men, where the slightest sign of disagreement with a woman will result in castration... but it's not going to be today! hahaha

Without doing any research into whether or not Carrie Grace is actually the equivalent to the men you speak of, (as RAACH mentions, skills are so varied and comparison is difficult) I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, there is one woman not getting paid the same as a man or men. Surely you can't possibly think this is as much of a wide spread issue as Feminists would have you believe it is?

When debating on other platforms with Feminists, and they say stuff about equal pay, the first thing from the other side is "Give a list of these companies who pay women less than men for the same work, and we will join you in boycotting/campaigning against them"... For an issue that gets such coverage, for being such an issue, the list has yet to be published.

As you may know Wonderoushen, I have no political knowledge what so ever, they above post about President Trump, was just one of the things I really admired about him.
Female
RAACH84  Female  Buckinghamshire 11-Jan-2018 12:32 Message #4709362
Bob. I do not agree that the woman was an idiot for asking a valid question on equality. I do agree that equal pay is not the issue it used to be and that in most instances women choose to do lower paid jobs for reasons of flexibility and convenience.
Male
HonestBob  Male  the Central region 11-Jan-2018 14:52 Message #4709369
"Bob. I do not agree that the woman was an idiot for asking a valid question on equality."

Well we will just have to agree to disagree RAACH.

" I do agree that equal pay is not the issue it used to be and that in most instances women choose to do lower paid jobs for reasons of flexibility and convenience."

Yes exactly. A woman who works part time in a shop, so she can juggle child care and so on, shouldn't be paid the same as the manager (male or female) who works 12 hour shifts six days a week.

Or even vise versa, a man who works part time in a shop, so he can look after his kids shouldn't be paid the same as the female manager who is working 12 hour shifts six days a week.
Male
capnblackbeard  Male  Hertfordshire 11-Jan-2018 15:09 Message #4709373
men should know thier place by now,lol
Male
HonestBob  Male  the Central region 11-Jan-2018 15:12 Message #4709375
"men should know thier place by now,lol"

Hehehe No, no, no... We are far too thick to learn anything, and far too busy oppressing everyone!!! :D :D :D
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 11-Jan-2018 18:49 Message #4709406
Carrie Gracie is just as qulaified as her male equivalents. I do think its a wide spread issue, but then I'm one of those Feminists you so like to rail against. You say you know next to nothing about politics, and yet you keep on commenting on politics from a self proffessed position of ignorance and wonder why you get called out on it.
Male
HonestBob  Male  the Central region 11-Jan-2018 19:47 Message #4709410
"I do think its a wide spread issue, "

Well your entitled to you opinion.

"You say you know next to nothing about politics, and yet you keep on commenting on politics from a self proffessed position of ignorance and wonder why you get called out on it."

Do I? I think the political threads on here have very little or no contribution from me. Even so, I'm allowed an opinion on politics even although I know little about... Just like you are allowed a opinion on gender pay gaps and white males.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 12-Jan-2018 11:25 Message #4709437
Do you not think this is a political issue then?
Male
tsunamiwarrior  Male  Hertfordshire 12-Jan-2018 12:15 Message #4709445
I think Trump is a difficult man to assess and he has been elected too short a time to know how things in the US will pan out. The problem is that he has alienated the media and he is insensitive to offending people so everything time he opens his mouth and every time he twitters his opposition put on a negative spin, exaggerate or make disingenous reports on what he is said or alleged to have said. I feel Trump is a very different person to the one portrayed in the press.
Male
Timmee  Male  Hampshire 12-Jan-2018 12:24 Message #4709446
Nothing new to say about Trump (he's a symptom - get over it and remedy the cause!)

In praise of Carrie Gracie:
She first came to my attention when I saw her White Horse Village film a few years back. See dissected the problems of rapid industrialisation in a corrupt dictatorship brilliantly. The party bosses must have squirmed to see the fruits of their corruption & bullying exposed in so clear a light. She is a national treasure and worth (at minimum) equal pay with John Sopel (BBC North American Editor.)
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 12-Jan-2018 12:40 Message #4709448
But doesn't it / shouldn't it depend on how the two jobs compare? BBC North American Editor might be a more demanding role than China editor - I don't know, I'm just wondering how these things work...

1 2 Next >  Last >> 

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »