Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Optimist or Pessimist?

Female
sandy_sw  Female  Devon 6-Jan-2018 22:28 Message #4708981
I tend to be optimistic, sure it can lead to disappointments, but suits me. Others prefer to be pessimistic and enjoy the unexpected highs. Or can you be in the middle of the 2?
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 6-Jan-2018 22:38 Message #4708984
I can certainly be at both ends of the scale and anywhere in between.

Very positive at times, sometimes forced, other times very cynical, negative, pessimistic, those ones can come quite easily.

Generally though, whichever I am, it has got me through the ups and downs of this existence, so that is good, or sort of good, not too bad anyway.
Female
sandy_sw  Female  Devon 6-Jan-2018 22:44 Message #4708985
That's interesting, so you are not one or the other. In the middle of the spectrum!
Female
Blue-Poppy  Female  East Yorkshire 6-Jan-2018 23:20 Message #4708987
Definitely glass half full, sometimes three quarters. Always have to have something to look forward to although I have to say, every day is getting a bit wearisome; just six days in and I'm tired already - lol
Female
sandy_sw  Female  Devon 6-Jan-2018 23:35 Message #4708989
Blue-Poppy, but the 7th day is your day to shine!
Female
bella111  Female  Devon 6-Jan-2018 23:43 Message #4708990
I am definately in the middle can be full of optimism(half glass full) or thinking the worst (half glass empty) I guess it must depend on our temperament at the time or just maybe our frame of mind for whatever reason.

But am not one one or the other.
Female
sandy_sw  Female  Devon 7-Jan-2018 00:03 Message #4708992
Bella, I think we are mainly disposed to one or the other. Of course it depends on the situation at the time. I meant generally, obviously not in a time of turmoil,when anyone's resolve would be tested.
Female
bella111  Female  Devon 7-Jan-2018 01:32 Message #4708993
I think mostly there is a problem or other with people most of the time some very little, so does not effect their half full/half empty but when it does it depends on that problem which pushes that arrow up or down.

I am lucky I cope with most thrown at me so I guess I must be a 3/4 full jar before I get to that bit...that makes me feel half if that makes sense, I am a very strong emotional being, especially of late. When I have had to be so many to so few, to some people with real and heart ranging going ons. Like death of a child, not prepared to say more.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 7-Jan-2018 11:09 Message #4709007
I think I'm a realist, neither pessamistic or optimistic, I try not to get to emotionally attached to final outcomes, just accept what happens and cut my cloth accordingly.
Female
leogirl  Female  Essex 7-Jan-2018 11:53 Message #4709011
I am a realist . Of course what is real for me may not be the reality as other people see it. I am also cautious what hinders the spontaneity and willingness to take risks. .
A good friend taught me to be more wiling to say Yes! to good things in life and just " go for it ! "

leogirl.
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 7-Jan-2018 13:25 Message #4709018
Using this site as a bit of an analogy kind of thing, I am sometimes optimistic when I log in that there will be some interesting people and interesting conversations, but disappointed when there aren't any.

Optimistic enough to start my own threads every now and again, but too often pessimistic and cynical about the response.

Having then become pessimistic and cynical, I think 'Right, to get any sort of response from the morgue, er I mean members, I will say something a little bit controversial', which brings out the PC vultures in their droves. Nobody else, just the PC vultures.

Pessimistic enough to think that nobody gets my humour, but optimistic when at least one person does.

Optimistic enough then to carry on and believe that I might brighten someones day, but pessimism very quickly sets in again when nobodys day seems to be brightened.

And so it goes on.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 7-Jan-2018 14:33 Message #4709025
I take the zen approach. Just see what happens. No disappointment, just contentment, with the occasional unexpected surprise.
Female
JEM95  Female  Oxfordshire 7-Jan-2018 15:25 Message #4709033
Optimist! Has to be.

If I wake up every morning then I’m a lucky girl :-)

I have a lovely friend who is ‘disappearing’ as a result of Alzheimer’s, she’s 58 :-( She is my reality check, and makes me feel appreciative of every single day.

I also have lowered my expectations - that way I seldom feel disappointed.
Male
capnblackbeard  Male  Hertfordshire 7-Jan-2018 15:58 Message #4709039
optimiclypessimistic

Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 7-Jan-2018 17:40 Message #4709054
What you mean the people who use a desk top instead of a phone or tablet to come on here?
Male
HonestBob  Male  the Central region 8-Jan-2018 00:27 Message #4709090
Plan for the worst and hope for the best... that's how I live :D :D :D
Female
Cassis  Female  Cambridgeshire 8-Jan-2018 00:47 Message #4709092
I'm an optimistic realist or a real stick optimist: I've never been exactly sure which one.
Female
Cassis  Female  Cambridgeshire 8-Jan-2018 00:48 Message #4709093
Why oh why does Google do that!! I was optimistic enough to think I didn't need to check and edit that small contribution:(
Male
Argonaut  Male  Lancashire 8-Jan-2018 08:42 Message #4709107
I wake up an optimist but end up going to bed a pessimist!

Jason.
Male
tsunamiwarrior  Male  Hertfordshire 8-Jan-2018 08:50 Message #4709109
I stay fairly optimistic and that stance has held me in good stead over the years. I do retain enough pessimism to look at life from both angles.
Female
sandy_sw  Female  Devon 9-Jan-2018 20:15 Message #4709250
Thanks for all your views. I came back to this rather late, that's the thing with threads, it's often too late to add any more!
Male
Timmee  Male  Hampshire 10-Jan-2018 23:30 Message #4709331
I fear this thread will end in tears.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »