Conversation Help and Advice
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

RCD tripping

after cleaning cooker

Female
Siesta09  Female  Essex 6-Jan-2018 18:21 Message #4708975
Hi I cleaned the inside of the cooker this afternoon using the actual oven to do it (was the first time I did it this way, I normally do it manually). It all went well and felt quite pleased with myself but when turned it on the RCD in the fuse box tripped. This happened twice so its definitely the cooker.

Any advice please??? Thanks
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 6-Jan-2018 18:46 Message #4708976
My guess is the element has had it...
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 6-Jan-2018 18:55 Message #4708977
Looking up a few google things, it seems there can be quite a few issues with it tripping out after ovens have been cleaned.

A lecky person would give you a better idea, maybe Jason Argonaut perhaps, but on some of the ones I have just read, it sometimes does it for a while until it all dries out properly.

It seems to be something connected with cleaning it, or a coincidence that it happened straight away afterwards. Sorry I am not that much help.
Female
Blue-Poppy  Female  East Yorkshire 6-Jan-2018 19:10 Message #4708978
I let pasta boil over in my microwave and it tripped . Left it for 3 days to dry out and now it works okay again. Just give it a bit of time. Good luck
Male
SQL  Male  Devon 6-Jan-2018 21:25 Message #4708979
I would echo the advice about letting it dry out very thoroughly. RCD units are very sensitive to minute current leakages and trip immediately a fault is detected.

If the oven is wet inside (not sure about your description of the cleaning process) and any water has found it's way into electrical circuits then you have a fault. Either let it dry naturally for a day or so or you may like to try a hair-dryer around the ends of the elements (if they are exposed) to speed up the drying process.

If any water or other liquid has found it's way into the control circuitry then you may have more permanent damage, time will tell.

SQL
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 7-Jan-2018 09:36 Message #4709001
I would be feeling delighted that the fuses actually trip. Luckily I didn't burn my house down over Christmas. Loud bangs like an electrical arcing and then flashes coming from under the work top, frightened me enough into calling an emergency electrician at 4.00 pm on Christmas Eve and that wasn't cheap. When he looked under the cupboards, a cable had burnt though to the wires and it was a gnat's whisker away from starting a fire. It was the electricity supply to the conservatory and the cable had broken down. Made safe and blanked off now and waiting for them to return to fix it. Dread to think of the consequences if that had happened whilst I was away over Christmas. Not once did the fuses trip, nor have they ever done, so I am waiting for a complete safety check aswell.

Sorry I don't know what to do with your oven.
Male
capnblackbeard  Male  Hertfordshire 7-Jan-2018 16:02 Message #4709040
electric and water dont mix well
Male
OnlineMSE  Male  Essex 7-Jan-2018 17:59 Message #4709056
Hold on though.
Didn't the op say that they'd used the oven's self clean facility, for the first time.
That wouldn't involve any water.
The oven self clean facility uses extra high temperature to burn off all the muck and grime in the oven.
This extra heating takes a lot of energy, I'm not a sparky but maybe the issue was it being too much for the RCD to cope with on that circuit.
Female
Siesta09  Female  Essex 7-Jan-2018 21:25 Message #4709083
just to clarify the process involves putting a certain amount of water and detergent in the bottom of the oven and then setting it to the self clean - instructions were all followed. I tried the oven again this evening having left the door open and it tripped again sigh.

The fusebox does seem to be very sensitive - it trips each time a lightbulb goes !

Thanks for the advice so far x
Male
brisinger  Male  Lancashire 8-Jan-2018 00:45 Message #4709091
It shows the RCD/GFI is working correctly. Chances are moisture has caused an electrical leakage.
Male
tsunamiwarrior  Male  Hertfordshire 8-Jan-2018 09:14 Message #4709113
RCDs shutting off the power supply when something as simple as a blown lightbulb throws you into darkness is very annoying but at least it's keeping us safe from electrocution and fire.
Hope you oven rectifies itself!
Female
Woosey  Female  North Yorkshire 8-Jan-2018 20:11 Message #4709174
Soul, you haven't been there long, surely it's more than bad luck that you've had light bulbs blow already...just a thought.

You need a sparky in to sort it all out and next time, do what I do and leave your cooker mucky lol.

Xxx
Female
Siesta09  Female  Essex 10-Jan-2018 18:20 Message #4709314
hi thanks for all your advice - I had to call an electrician in as was still doing it over 48 hours later - it was the element. Never using the self clean again!!! xxx
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 10-Jan-2018 18:46 Message #4709316
I have never had one of the self cleaning ones, but it is a bit off if it blows the element.

It may be more hassle than it's worth, but maybe you could try and claim the money back from the oven people. They will probably say 'sorry, you didn't take out the special extended 5 year guarantee, costing a few hundred, that we tried to sell you when you bought it'.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »