Conversation Arts and Entertainment
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

A couple of strange effects

as it's Christmas, a bit of lightheartedness

Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 18-Dec-2017 20:44 Message #4707983
These are not new, they have been around for a fair few years, so most people may know them, but they are interesting enough to stick in a thread, at least I think they are anyway.

Both named after famous people, although not directly to do with those people.

The first, The Thatcher effect...Oh dear, already some adverse reactions. But it doesn't have to be Thatcher, I think it is only called that because the original person used a picture of Thatcher.

Anyway, it shows pictures upside down, then when you turn them the right way up, a very strange illusion happens. You can see examples of it on various illusion websites, try it if you haven't already seen it. It can be quite amazing.

The second is the Mandela effect. I think named after Mandela because when he was in prison, various people thought they heard he had died way back then. So the effect is about differences in what people remember about certain things, and what supposedly actually happened.

So examples being things like, a lot of people remember 'sex in the city', and not 'sex and the city'. Or the end of the Queen song 'We are the Champions, some people remember it with 'of the World' as the very last bit, but the official song doesn't have 'of the World' . Also Forrest Gump says 'life was like a box of chocolates' and not what most people remember 'Life is like a box of chocolates'

I haven't checked all these out properly, and there are probably other explanations for some of them.

Can anyone think of any other ones?
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside 18-Dec-2017 20:47 Message #4707985
I,ll be back...
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 18-Dec-2017 20:52 Message #4707986
I think that's the Schwarzenegger effect.
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside 18-Dec-2017 20:53 Message #4707987
lol

may the force be with you
Female
Madness102  Female  South Yorkshire 24-Dec-2017 18:45 Message #4708215
And are these upside-down pics on utube ???

Still Blinkin
Male
Jeff  Male  East Sussex 24-Dec-2017 22:10 Message #4708224
Thatcher effect pictures that make sense upside down are very clever, and so are words that written in a certain way. If you search the internet for images of ambigrams you will see some.
Some amazing ambigrams by John Langdon are prominent in Dan Brown's book "Angels and Demons". (Opinions differ whether Margaret Thatcher was an angel or a demon!) Brown's hero Robert Langdon was named after John Langdon.

People often say "Money is the root of all evil".
But 1:Timothy 6:10 says "For the love of money is the root of all evil" or "For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil".

In Conan Doyle's books, Sherlock Holmes never said "Elementary, my dear Watson". That was introduced in later films.
In those books, Holmes says "Elementary" and "It was very superficial, my dear Watson" and "Exactly, my dear Watson".
P.G.Wodehouse, not about Holmes, in 1910 wrote "Elementary, my dear fellow" and in 1915 "Elementary, my dear Watson".

The 1942 film "Casablanca" does not include the line "Play It Again, Sam". The nearest dialogues get to it are:-
Ilsa: Play it once, Sam. For old times' sake.
Sam: I don't know what you mean, Miss Ilsa.
Ilsa: Play it, Sam. Play "As Time Goes By."
Sam: Oh, I can't remember it, Miss Ilsa. I'm a little rusty on it.
Ilsa: I'll hum it for you. Da-dy-da-dy-da-dum, da-dy-da-dee-da-dum...
Ilsa: Sing it, Sam.
And later:-
Rick: You know what I want to hear.
Sam: No, I don't.
Rick: You played it for her, you can play it for me!
Sam: Well, I don't think I can remember...
Rick: If she can stand it, I can! Play it!
Male
Jeff  Male  East Sussex 24-Dec-2017 22:26 Message #4708233
Two more famous Mandela effect sentences that didn't occur in the original Star Trek series and films are:-

"It's Life [Jim], but not as we know it."
In season 1 episode 26, The Devil In The Dark, Spock says:-
"Within range of our sensors, there is no life, other than the accountable human residents of this colony beneath the surface. At least, no life as we know it."
And later:-
"Life as we know it is universally based on some combination of carbon compounds, but what if life exists based on another element?"
In season 1 episode 29, Operation: Annihilate, Spock says:-
"It is not life as we know or understand it. Yet it is obviously alive, it exists".

"Beam me up, Scotty"
In two episodes Kirk says "Scotty, beam us up". In two films occurs "Scotty, beam me up" and "Beam them out of there, Scotty".
Male
Jeff  Male  East Sussex 24-Dec-2017 23:05 Message #4708239
More space traveller misquotes:-

"Houston, we have a problem."
A conversation with Apollo 13 in 1970 between another Jim (after Jim Kirk) and two Jacks went:-
Jack Swigert: "Okay, Houston, we've had a problem here."
Jack Lousma: "This is Houston. Say again please."
Jim Lovell: "Houston, we've had a problem. We've had a main B bus undervolt."

That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind"
That doesn't make sense.
Neil Armstrong while getting onto the moon, interrupted by static, said "That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind."
Male
vanman  Male  Cambridgeshire 24-Dec-2017 23:10 Message #4708240
You may be right jeff, re. ...

It's life [jim] but not as we know it.

But, in the song 'Star trekkin'

The singer in the band 'The Firm'

did sing... *It's life, Jim, but not as we know it.

lol ;-}

So perhaps 'the quote' comes from that!. ;-}
Male
Jeff  Male  East Sussex 24-Dec-2017 23:51 Message #4708244
BlinkinLights: "And are these upside-down pics on utube ???"

Search YouTube for "QI Thatcher Effect".

Not the same thing is:-
- In YouTube another type of upside down face is seen by searching for "Upside down chins".
- You can see some faces that also look like a face upside down by searching Google for "upside down faces drawing" then clicking "Images".

Vanners.
Thanks. Videos of that song are on YouTube.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »