Conversation Arts and Entertainment
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Strictly

the class of 2017

1 2 3 4 5 Next >  Last >> 

Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 24-Sep-2017 11:03 Message #4701598
OMG, Debbie MacGee!

I was quite glad there seemed to be a better range of talent this year and a lot in the middle.

Anyone else watch it?
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 24-Sep-2017 11:42 Message #4701615
Wasn't she superb! Great dancing, great role play and bloody hell, how athletic! She would put the vast majority of 20 somethings to shame.

The other one who stood out for me was Aston Merrygold. I'm so looking forward to more from him.

I read a short article in the Radio Times this morning from the Judge from last year, talking about what a nonsense it would be to expect Susan Calman to dance with a women. Apparently there has been some nonsense online about it, which missed me completely. But he did suggest that he might do a Tango with Anton at the next Christmas Special. Now that would be a sight to behold.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 24-Sep-2017 12:34 Message #4701639
Strictly's really going for it this year a lesbian and a disabled person plus people of various ethnicities, who will all the red tops decide is being supported for PC reasons alone?

I couldn't decide if Susan Calman is a really good dancer or if she was really bad, she seemed to be good in hold.
Female
Judance  Female  Berkshire 24-Sep-2017 19:59 Message #4701677
Interesting!

Those who are short or carrying too much weight never stand a chance as all the judges can see is that they aren't tall and graceful!
Susan Calman has a good chance of staying for a while with Kevin for a partner, as he will do some sympathetic choreography.

I think Bryan Connelly will be the first to go, unless the public vote keeps him in. The vicar is the fun one to watch .

Don't know why they only gave them 2 weeks instead of the usual 3, but I thought they all danced well considering.

Roll on next week!
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 25-Sep-2017 13:48 Message #4701691
He was pretty awful and he didn't come across as a very nice person to me. It could be that tv presenter woman with Anton to go first or maybe second, I will be glad not to have Anton gurning every week, he's my least favourite pro.
Female
Nemesis  Female  Dorset 30-Sep-2017 15:32 Message #4702044
I wouldn't miss it! There are a few hopefuls and unfortunately I think the vicar will probably be this years 'John Sargent' x
Female
Judance  Female  Berkshire 30-Sep-2017 20:20 Message #4702064
True, but I think there are quite a few reasonably good dancers this time.

Please let Bryan Connelly go this week
Female
Judance  Female  Berkshire 30-Sep-2017 20:48 Message #4702065
Oh my ...!

Debbie at the top of the leader board, an a-maz-ing and a fist pump from Craig plus 4x9s in week 2 ..

.. and what about that jive from Jonny on his new blade?

I think this is going to be a good series.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 30-Sep-2017 22:21 Message #4702067
Jonny was really good, so was Alexandra with her Paso, and a great salsa from Aston too.
Male
OnlineMSE  Male  Essex 30-Sep-2017 23:27 Message #4702069
Judance 30-Sep-2017 20:48
Oh my ...!
Debbie at the top of the leader board

Surprise, really !!
This is the same Debbie McGee that was a former ballet dancer and for 3 years was the artistic director of her own ballet company. Right ?

versus a bunch of tv presenters/comedians, tv actors, a tv chef and a reverend.

Just saying like.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 1-Oct-2017 07:20 Message #4702077
I think Aston has some dance training too.
Female
alliez  Female  West Yorkshire 1-Oct-2017 11:21 Message #4702094
Really enjoyed Alexandra's Paso, and thought Jonnie's jive was excellent.

Debbie was outstanding , but she does have a ballet background, so the elegance and timing should be a doddle and although a different style of dance she will probably find the learning of the routine comes more naturally.

Brian Conley to go tonight ...
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 1-Oct-2017 11:44 Message #4702107
I loved that paso of Alexandra's, and to think that was only week 2!

Alliez, I hope he goes too, but please if you know the result, don't do spoilers.

I watched a program of Darcy Bussel learning different styles of dance she found it quite hard, because it was so different to what she was used to, things that are wrong in ballet are right in other styles.

How many people have no experience of dance? Most people I went to school with did ballroom, tap and ballet and I think even more children do now, dance classes are a common as going to brownies, theres all the exercise dance classes like zumba? Even I've got experience of dance, albeit learning even more definitively just how bad I am, I think I'd make Kate Garraway look good.

Dnumbers if I came on s thread about sport and complained all over it you have a go at me, so but out yourself if you've no real interest.
Male
capnblackbeard  Male  Hertfordshire 1-Oct-2017 11:49 Message #4702111
i liked it, not a lot but i did like it :)

Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 1-Oct-2017 12:59 Message #4702122
I haven't seen any of this series, but it used to be one of my mums favourites, who sadly passed away last year. RIP Mum.

Most of the celebs have some sort of stage background, some more obvious than others, some involving dance schools and things, and as has been mentioned, different types of dance don't necessarily mean that they are good at all the ballroom stuff.

It is good to have a few of them who can really do it, a few who learn on the job, and also a few there for the 'no chance' viewing factor.

The vicar used to dance, or more mince really, with Jimmy Somerville in The Communards. They had some big hits in the 80's and some cringe dancing videos of him to go with the hits. I haven't watched him on strictly though, so am not sure what he is like on there.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 1-Oct-2017 17:37 Message #4702155
He does a good line in bad dad dancing. Some of those who have never danced before turn out to be really good, like Ore who won last year.
Female
alliez  Female  West Yorkshire 1-Oct-2017 17:46 Message #4702161
WH - No inside information, just me hoping that BC goes.

I never found him funny and his dancing ain't great.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 1-Oct-2017 18:28 Message #4702174
The thing that a lot of people have trouble with is the hands and arms and shaping, so Debbie will have an advantage with that. According to wiki she hasn't done ballet for about 30 years.
Female
Judance  Female  Berkshire 1-Oct-2017 22:50 Message #4702201
So those judges kept Brian! Mind you, he did do it better in the dance off. I saw some actual cha cha steps!

I'm not sure I'm liking that they are doing some of the more difficult dances so early in the competition. Paso? Slow Foxtrot? and someone mentioned Samba next week!
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 2-Oct-2017 04:55 Message #4702220
Can't believe it either. He's painful to watch.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 2-Oct-2017 10:42 Message #4702225
I thought Chizzy was underpowered in the dance off and her timing was off. but BC is just awful, he seems to have no awareness of his partner, of where she is or what she's doing, it all seems to be about him and his silly faces and need to be the centre of attention. To me he looks like his natural habitat is the end of the pier.
Male
Dustybin  Male  Suffolk 8-Oct-2017 00:11 Message #4702529
Brendan should not have argued.
Male
OnlineMSE  Male  Essex 8-Oct-2017 10:15 Message #4702547
Re: wonderoushen 1-Oct-2017 11:44

Calm down dear!
Just making an observation about the equality of the contestants, that's all.

and it's "butt" out, but you could, as you have done, put but, but that but wouldn't be the butt you'd mean !!
lol ;-))
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 8-Oct-2017 11:43 Message #4702552
We havn't had a good spat between one of the professionals and the judges for a while now, sometimes I do wonder why the professionals seem to put stuff in that they know isn't in the rules or that seem to difficult for the celebrity?

I think Brian got a kick up the bum last week and is taking it all seriously, he seems to have had a big attitude adjustment, fair play to the guy he seems to have put the work in and was loads better this week.

Am I the only one who gets a bit fed up with things like movie week? I get having a Halloween bash, but I think this early on it detracts from the actual dancing. Maybe its just me because with a couple of exceptions I can't stand musicals or musical theatre?
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 8-Oct-2017 13:14 Message #4702560
blimmin eck. I forgot to switch on last night. Time for catch up then.

1 2 3 4 5 Next >  Last >> 

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »