Conversation Dating and Relationships
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

The Matter of Height

Is it a crucial factor?

1 2 3 4 5 Next >  Last >> 

Male
Tramontana  Male  Greater Manchester 15-Sep-2017 19:03 Message #4700943
Just how important is height when you consider a potential partner in a relationship?

There are so many factors to consider for sure. But just how vital is the height factor?

An intrigued Tram...

(Actually I don't mind if a lady in heels towers over me ;-) )
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 15-Sep-2017 19:06 Message #4700945
Being tall I've had several partners around my height, some have been shorter, its not bothered them or me, but it does bother some people, some people think its a real laugh because I'm taller. Some people feel that the man has to be taller than the woman and if she is then she must dominate him in some way, all I can think of is that I'm glad theres no chance of me going out with them or even giving them the time of day, sad pathetic people.
Female
snowangel  Female  Avon 15-Sep-2017 19:23 Message #4700947
It bothers me not
Male
Tramontana  Male  Greater Manchester 15-Sep-2017 20:05 Message #4700953
It certainly does not bother me at all, but for some folk (both male and female) height is a very important aspect.

And I've encountered this in a previous relationship.
Female
Judance  Female  Berkshire 15-Sep-2017 20:13 Message #4700955
We can all be the same size lying down!

Height of a partner has never bothered me, except when doing my ballroom dancing, when it's much better for the man to be taller!
Male
Tramontana  Male  Greater Manchester 15-Sep-2017 20:24 Message #4700958
When we're lying down...or even upright...or at angles...then if two people connect then they find a way ;-)

I'll have to make sure that if I ever seek a dancing partner then they'll be shorter than me :-)
Male
Suskie  Male  Worcestershire 15-Sep-2017 20:38 Message #4700960
No.
A pulse, however... ??
Female
nellieredshoes  Female  West Yorkshire 15-Sep-2017 20:40 Message #4700962
It doesn't matter to me -(theoretically) I've had very happy relationships with; tall, middle sized men and short men. However I must admit I'm often attracted to tall men.
Male
Tramontana  Male  Greater Manchester 15-Sep-2017 20:43 Message #4700963
Suskie,

You've a point there.

Height seems irrelevant if there's no heartbeat.

Or maybe zombie dating is an alternative? Does such a site exist? I shouldn't ask as I fear someone is now going to prove so!

A Tram staying away from zombies...
Male
Tramontana  Male  Greater Manchester 15-Sep-2017 20:43 Message #4700964
Suskie,

You've a point there.

Height seems irrelevant if there's no heartbeat.

Or maybe zombie dating is an alternative? Does such a site exist? I shouldn't ask as I fear someone is now going to prove so!

A Tram staying away from zombies...
Male
mancers  Male  Greater Manchester 15-Sep-2017 20:44 Message #4700965
The napoleon syndrome makes some men a bit grumpy, live and let live I say.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 15-Sep-2017 20:56 Message #4700969
Well I'm a shortarse (about 5' 5') and the majority of women I've encountered on dating sites are very specific about the height of a potential partner and they ain't compromising, no matter what.
Women seem to use a formula of taking their own height and adding at least 3 or 4 inches to calculate the correct height of the man - many merely stipulate a minimum of 6 feet tall.
I presume this allows for her to wear heels and it to still look right - it seems very few women feel comfortable being taller than their partner.
I've encountered it recently in the real world too, it's a shame as she was/is lovely...
Male
Tramontana  Male  Greater Manchester 15-Sep-2017 21:36 Message #4700975
Hierophant,

I would tend to agree with you.

I certainly believe that most ladies (but not all) prefer to date a guy taller than themselves.

So would the MSE ladies like to challenge that concept?

A Tram with open ears...
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 15-Sep-2017 22:00 Message #4700976
The funny thing is I haven't had my height accurately measured for probably 30 years or more so there's a good chance I'm not even 5' 5'.
My guess is most people are in the same boat - it's so much easier measuring weight, yet for some reason we don't see specific weight requirements on dating sites...

Male
Tramontana  Male  Greater Manchester 15-Sep-2017 22:08 Message #4700978
Maybe we should state our BMI's!!
Female
Bewildered  Female  Norfolk 15-Sep-2017 22:52 Message #4700979
I would not wish to date anyone shorter than me, who would reach the top shelve when shopping lol
Female
Cassis  Female  Cambridgeshire 16-Sep-2017 02:49 Message #4700986
For me it's the tall men who I feel "right" with. It's nothing to do with needing to feel protected, or me wanting to be able to wear certain size heels...I really don't know why someone 6ft 2" is my best fit, but it just is. I guess it's a preference like hair, build, bearded/non-bearded, whatever. These preferences are subconscious or historic in origin. Yet preferences can be sidelined when we meet someone who blows us away with their personality and the right chemistry. Like my preference has always been for dark hair, dark eyes, olive skin, but I left the boyfriend who fitted that description for the blonde, blue-eyed, fair-skinned man who became my first husband...I still couldn't say why! Though he was 6ft 2" and the dark-haired man wasnt:)
Male
badman  Male  Suffolk 16-Sep-2017 06:50 Message #4700989
If she's hot and horny, it wouldn't matter if she was 7' 6" or 4' 6".

(Badman. Whose moral standards have declined much recently).
Male
Tramontana  Male  Greater Manchester 16-Sep-2017 07:09 Message #4700990
Gotta love the Badman for honesty and directness.

Kinda sounds like a proposal awaiting for some lady to take up ;-)

A Tram admiring Badman's style...
Male
Argonaut  Male  Lancashire 16-Sep-2017 07:45 Message #4700993
I must admit that I'm one of those guys who prefer a woman to be the same height as me, or less.

It's nothing to do with domination, or anything like that - it's nice to have someone you can look in the eye without craning your neck, or to have them sit on your knee without their boobs obstructing the view of the telly!

Jason.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 16-Sep-2017 07:47 Message #4700994
"Maybe we should state our BMI's!!"

Nah, who can be bothered working it out?
We should either do away with specific heights on dating sites and have simple options such as "short", "average" and "tall" like we do with weight and body size or have specifics for everything.
Us short people are short changed again - I think I might start a social media campaign like that girl did about wearing high heels - I love a bit of irony...
Female
JEM95  Female  Oxfordshire 16-Sep-2017 09:08 Message #4701008
I'm 5'8" and quite tall for a female. If I met the right person and we got on, it wouldn't matter in the slightest how tall he is (or isn't!). Yes, I have a preference but that's all it is - not compulsory.

Besides, I rather like the idea of being looked up to, ha ha!
Female
justkath1960  Female  East Sussex 16-Sep-2017 09:44 Message #4701010
not a problem for me being as I am only 5ft1 mostly everyone is taller than me anyway ...
Male
Coronto  Male  Devon 16-Sep-2017 09:59 Message #4701016
Lots of gals on dating sites state only men over 6'

Now if I put only 40GG+ I'd be a sexist?
Male
barney  Male  Surrey 16-Sep-2017 14:47 Message #4701038
Strange how times have changed. Years ago it was quite normal to see tall women with short men.
I had three aunties who were all bigger and taller than their husbands and they were the boss lol.
Remember the seaside postcards, it always depicted big tall women with little husbands.

Ladies, if you have a short boyfriend/husband when out and about you walk in the road and he walks on the pavement, problem solved.

1 2 3 4 5 Next >  Last >> 

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »