Conversation Dating and Relationships
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Bad boy.

Why

1 2 3 4 5 Next >  Last >> 

Male
barney  Male  Surrey 28-Feb-2017 12:10 Message #4679012
Following on from the too nice post.
Have you noticed on a lot of the dating shows when they interview the girl after the date to see why it did not work out she say "I want a bad boy".
Why?.
Do they want a potential wife beater.
Someone who makes them pregnant and then scarpers.
Someone who is always in trouble with the law.
Someone who is totally selfish.
Or are the confusing bad boy with excitement and not someone who smothers them with too much niceness.
Must be very confusing for the boys lol.
Female
RAACH84  Female  Buckinghamshire 28-Feb-2017 13:53 Message #4679017
No-one wants a nasty partner but a lot us would prefer a bad boy to one who was too nice. Always turning up on time looking clean and smart with a bouquet of flowers, speaking politely and generously taking the lady to dinner being careful not to swear or say anything untoward will sooner or later become very boring.
Someone who is not such a good timekeeper, occasionally curses and has a bit of cheeky banter may be more appealing.

A bad boy does not have to be a horrible boy and some nice boys try far to hard to be nice. We should behave naturally as ourselves and that would not be nice all the time.
Male
badman  Male  Suffolk 28-Feb-2017 13:58 Message #4679018
Ta-Dah.
Male
Argonaut  Male  Lancashire 28-Feb-2017 14:09 Message #4679020
Hey Badd4rs,

You're gonna have to go on one of these dating shows - so we can find out how bad you really are!

Jason.
Male
Argonaut  Male  Lancashire 28-Feb-2017 14:10 Message #4679021
4???

Eeeh-ba-gum me finger slipped!

Jason.
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 28-Feb-2017 14:33 Message #4679023
There are various types of 'bad boy', from someone who throws a takeaway wrapper on the floor to 'impress' their mates and the girls ( That is the worst thing they have ever done, they aren't allowed to do it at home), to ones who will assault you, maybe even kill you, or anything in between.

Sometimes people looking for bad boys are trying to be a bit bad themselves, looking for someone to take on authorities, police etc.

I have seen some right arseholes who are trying to be bad. What utter dickbrains they can be. And they are just the minor ones.

You read about some of the more serious bad ones sometimes. There was a case in America where 2 sisters I think, met 2 criminals who were serving time,wanted to be with the bad boys and got engaged to them, then when the criminals got out, they murdered the 2 sisters. I suppose they deserved it.
Female
Andromeda  Female  Berkshire 28-Feb-2017 15:37 Message #4679026
Some men seem to have difficulty understanding the bad boy thing and confuse it with evil, criminal and nasty which is a million miles away from what it means. I have been around quite a while and I can't remember a time when the bad boys weren't getting all the girls while the nice boys were asking why it wasn't them.
Even at my age the bad boy has appeal.

Raach explained it better than I can but I would guess badman could explain it even better.
Male
Wry  Male  Norfolk 28-Feb-2017 15:48 Message #4679029
Shut it, Andromeda!
Male
badman  Male  Suffolk 28-Feb-2017 15:51 Message #4679030
The trick is to make my lady smile (and possibly blush a little) while she's calling me a very bad man.
Male
Wry  Male  Norfolk 28-Feb-2017 16:03 Message #4679032
Hmm, so now we trick 'em into bed, eh?
Male
londonlee  Male  Buckinghamshire 28-Feb-2017 16:29 Message #4679033
I'm guessing I'm more bad than nice ;)
Male
HonestBob  Male  the Central region 28-Feb-2017 17:19 Message #4679037
Treat 'em mean, Keep 'em keen!

Seems to be they way to get and keep women, I always remember the bad boy having two or three girls on the go, and most girls have had something or other to do with him... That was me in high school. I rolled into school at 15 with a tattoo... I was the man!!! By the time I left school I had three tattoos... I had the silly bad boy image down to a tee. I grew up after leaving school, getting a job and becoming a man.

I remember hearing of those girls who chase the bad boys, get knocked up and left high and dry, then look for a "Nice" or "Good" guys to depend on or to be the reliable father to the bad boys kids. The phrase "I've been with all the bad boys, I now want a good man to settle down with!" comes to mind...I thought it was only the young and dumb type of women who sought after bad boys, but where I grew out of it, it seems women don't.

At the end of the day, these women have their preferences, and they are allowed their preferences regardless how confusing or daft it may sound to us men folk...

Do guys like bad girls?
Male
tsunamiwarrior  Male  Hertfordshire 28-Feb-2017 17:33 Message #4679038
I don't think wanting a bit of excitement in your life ends as you grow older and girls can be too nice just as boys can. The argument of whether bad boys and girls are desirable depends on how you see bad or whether you prefer the little lady at home type who does as she's told and keeps her opinions to herself.
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 28-Feb-2017 17:46 Message #4679039
I can understand what Raach is saying, and there are certain bad boy types that girls go for.

I have never regarded myself as a bad boy and although through my life I have been interesting at times, I have also been mighty boring sometimes. ( What do you mean, sometimes, I hear people say!)

I have been brought up to be well mannered, speak politely, not swearing in front of children, also knowing which occasions to behave properly etc, but I can also swear for England if I want, including the f and the c words, behave terribly, use even worse banter, and many more things.

Although I am not drinking nowadays, I used to get completely drunk out of my head, especially in the 70's when I was on the ships, passing out many many times through drink, nearly falling overboard numerous times. Most people would regard that as stupid boring behaviour, not 'bad boy' boyfriend behaviour though!

Nowadays I am a bit of a pipe and slippers man, although I don't smoke a pipe and I haven't got any slippers. How boring. Although I still have a bit of a twinkle in my eye every now and again.

Male
Kisses after midnight  Male  Lothian 28-Feb-2017 18:01 Message #4679041
OK, I can be bad if badness is desired ... (-;

Ade
Male
Timmee  Male  Hampshire 28-Feb-2017 18:59 Message #4679046
Frasier.

'Good Girls & Bad Boys' episode

The excellent Dr. Lilith Crane explains the premise of her newly published book to a daytime TV studio audience of women using Frasier and Sam as examples.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7vCMHeL1f0
Male
Timmee  Male  Hampshire 28-Feb-2017 19:02 Message #4679047
May favourite episode - haven't seen it for many years but 'Youtubed' it when I read this thread LOL.

For the confused: Badman is Sam.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 28-Feb-2017 19:42 Message #4679053
I'm better at being bad than I used to be - don't call all the time, make her wait, cancel dates at the last moment to go out with your mates - yeah I can do all that stuff now without batting an eyelid...
Male
brisinger  Male  Lancashire 28-Feb-2017 20:00 Message #4679054
...being careful not to swear...

What if you tend not to swear anyway?

Just wondering like...
Female
Bewildered  Female  Norfolk 1-Mar-2017 06:16 Message #4679082
I dont want a bad guy, I want a nice guy bu with a sense of humour and a bit cheeky.
I can be cheeky and think I have a good sense of humour and am fun but am a good girl :-)
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 1-Mar-2017 07:02 Message #4679083
I guess much depends on how much self worth the woman has - does she put up with being treated badly because deep down she loves it or is it because she feels it's a price worth paying to not be alone?
One young woman I work with has been treated terribly by her latest "boyfriend", only now has she dumped him because he hit her in jealousy after she had a night out - "oh but I do miss having him to cuddle at night" she exclaimed...
Female
RAACH84  Female  Buckinghamshire 1-Mar-2017 07:38 Message #4679084
I have plenty of self worth. I am very particular with who I meet or date. I have young children to worry about so I am extra careful as to who I become involved with.

This thread was started with reference to the "too nice" thread and for that reason it seems obvious to me that the reference to "bad boys" is used in a comparable way and has nothing whatsoever to do with the extremes of violence or nastiness which might be implied.

The bad boy is the one who isnt the boy who is too nice to have any personality of his own. The too nice boy will follow the stereotypical rules of protocol and gentlemanliness and for that reason will often be as boring as hell and utterly predictable.
I have never been treated badly by a bad boy.
Male
londonlee  Male  Buckinghamshire 1-Mar-2017 08:20 Message #4679093
brisinger. I don't often swear and certainly never put swearwords into my everyday conversations. In many ways I might be a gentleman but I dont think anyone has ever described me as too nice and I don't think anyone ever will.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 1-Mar-2017 08:27 Message #4679095
"I have never been treated badly by a bad boy."

I understand what you are saying but we all have our own idea of what "badly" means.
In the example I gave, he hasn't hit her (as far as I'm aware) before but has treated her badly (in my opinion) in many other ways.
To my mind, turning up late for something or not turning up at all, certainly when you are supposed to be in a steady relationship, is not good at all but you seem to imply that's ok, even endearing...
Female
shewolf  Female  Somerset 1-Mar-2017 08:35 Message #4679096
I seem to attract bad boys I don't know why but I'm more careful now than I used to be much more picky

1 2 3 4 5 Next >  Last >> 

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »