Conversation Dating and Relationships
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Singles nights

Male
A_man_called_CHIOG  Male  South East London 10-Feb-2017 07:21 Message #4677047
Have you been to a singles night? Did the men and women congregate in their own groups or did everyone mingle? Did you see anyone there you knew? was it a worthwhile experience?
Female
Bewildered  Female  Norfolk 10-Feb-2017 09:18 Message #4677061
I was dragged alone to a singles night a few years back. It was in a function room with bar and disco.
I found it odd that groups stuck together and there was little or no mingling .
Went a second time for a quiz night and same little groups stuck together.
Didnt bother after that as there was no point.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 10-Feb-2017 10:19 Message #4677064
Sounds like a school disco Bewildered?
Male
barney  Male  Surrey 10-Feb-2017 13:11 Message #4677084
Many years ago went to a meet up in Portsmouth organised by someone on here.
The women were sat in tight knit circle around a table with no room for anyone to join them and were not interested in chatting.
So I went to bar and had a few pints and then was accosted by one of the women who accused me of being an alcoholic. After telling her what I thought of her I left and never bothered going to another one.
Male
D-2017  Male  Essex 10-Feb-2017 13:50 Message #4677089
And there in tells the tale !!
Male
mancab  Male  Greater Manchester 10-Feb-2017 13:50 Message #4677090
I went to a singles night at my local, I am still single, so I guess it worked.
Male
Argonaut  Male  Lancashire 10-Feb-2017 16:52 Message #4677112
I've been to a few Meets and never had an experience like Barney's.

Back in 1992, shortly after my wife left me, realising the problems that single people of my age had in meeting potential partners I started up a local singles group with plenty of media coverage - even got a 5 minute slot on The Big Breakfast Show.

I encouraged people to come along and join in on the allotted night which was exclusively ours in a local hostelry, and I did my utmost to encourage people to mix and talk to each other.

Incidentally, during the six months or so that I ran the club we had three attached males turn up (not at the same time!) with the totally wrong impression of what singles clubs were all about and I took great delight in 'outing' them in front of everybody and warning them that if they ever 'tried their luck' again in future I'd be knocking on their door to inform their wives/partners what they were up to!

Jason.
Female
sunnyagain  Female  Hampshire 10-Feb-2017 17:34 Message #4677113
I'm in a meetup group for singles over a certain age but they stress that it's a social group so that singles can go out without feeling 'alone', it's not for dating. There's another local group that runs in a similar way but a lot of them starting dating and now it's mostly couples-I've not joined it as I don't want to appear like a 'nomates' :-)
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 10-Feb-2017 18:48 Message #4677130
Never been to a singles night in my life.

I did go to several Portsmouth meets arranged off here and didn't see any circles of women.
Male
barney  Male  Surrey 10-Feb-2017 20:52 Message #4677158
Minnie,

I am talking about 11 years ago. Perhaps I was just unlucky.
Male
AndyMacG  Male  the West Midlands 10-Feb-2017 21:19 Message #4677163
I've never been to a singles night unless you count MSE meets as singles events then i've been to loads, some have been fruitful and some haven't but i have never been to an MSE meet that the people attending didn't mingle :)

Which one was it you attended in Portsmouth barney, There was a meet in Portsmouth 10th December 2005 ”Portsmouth in Pink, 01 April 2006 or the indian themed one “Bollywood” 2006 or the Cancer research one?

Andy Mac
Male
barney  Male  Surrey 10-Feb-2017 22:59 Message #4677182
AndyMacG,

So long ago I cannot remember much about the exact date but it was not a themed evening.
It was in the Old Customs House pub/bar in Gunwharfe Quays. Not the best venue because its lots of small individual rooms that have tables in them that seat about ten people so difficult to mix. The women were all in one room and made it obvious that you were not welcome. I think they were just on a ladies night out.
Mind you in those days it was very much a closed shop on here and very cliquey.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 10-Feb-2017 23:11 Message #4677184
yes, that's right, it would have been about 11 years ago.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 10-Feb-2017 23:12 Message #4677185
oh, read down, yes, I was at that meet. Had a great time. Lots of dancing.

Male
barney  Male  Surrey 11-Feb-2017 12:14 Message #4677239
Are you sure Minnie?, because at the meet I was at no one was dancing. I don't think there was anywhere to dance anyway.
Male
londonlee  Male  Buckinghamshire 11-Feb-2017 17:36 Message #4677283
They're OK as long as everyone is suitably inebriated :)
Female
PollyValentiniusPoppy  Female  Worcestershire 11-Feb-2017 22:33 Message #4677325
They're OK as long as everyone is suitably inebriated :)

Prior to leaving home!

Polly
X
Female
RAACH84  Female  Buckinghamshire 12-Feb-2017 09:15 Message #4677348
As long as you can remember what you got up to when you wake up the next day. There is nothing worse than having to rely on someone else to tell you what a good time you had lol.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 12-Feb-2017 09:17 Message #4677349
or even worse, waking up and there is a sleeping head on the pillow next to you and you have no idea who they are.
Male
A_man_called_CHIOG  Male  South East London 12-Feb-2017 23:31 Message #4677524
Interesting experiences. I have never been to one but they could be fun. I won't have too much to drink as I don't wish to wake up alongside a lady and frighten her in the morning.
Female
joolsy  Female  Essex 12-Feb-2017 23:47 Message #4677528
There's a singles club across the road from me ... I call it the widows & wxxkers club lol ... It's ok if there's a crowd of you .. You can have a giggle .. But it's a bit like a meat market if you no what I mean .. X oooh maybe I could sort out a mse meet .. We could all go and find the love of our lives lol ...
Male
GentleFella  Male  Buckinghamshire 13-Feb-2017 12:12 Message #4677547
I remember the "In the Pink" meet in Portsmouth. I thought all had a wonderful time and still have lots of photographic evidence to confirm the fact. Seem to think that many including myself were quite inebriated. Think we even went on to a party locally when turfed out of the Inn for an early breakfast.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »