Conversation Dating and Relationships
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

First message or a bunch of flowers.

Male
A_man_called_CHIOG  Male  South East London 26-Jan-2017 15:43 Message #4674996
I'm not sure how the bunch of flowers and other gifts work on here because it seems very easy to miss the fact you have been send them as you are told by email but not notified prperly on the site itself

Am I right or is it me?

Is sending flowers a good approach rather than writing a lengthy mail introducing yourself?
A lot of members on this and similar sites don't like to receive just a Hi! but is that really so bad?
Female
BunnyGirl  Female  Buckinghamshire 26-Jan-2017 15:51 Message #4674997
I think flowers are ok if you are interested in someone. Also think maybe a short message would be better than a
lengthy message just to say hi and introduce yourself.
Male
TheCommonTit  Male  Avon 26-Jan-2017 16:08 Message #4674999
I just don't think the ice breaking feature works. It might work in theory but in practice I think it's a bit naff.

I can also see it been used a lot by scammers as it's easier to send a hug or a kiss in the hope of getting their foot in the door than it is to actually write a message.

I think people just ignore it. I know I do. I've sent a few out over the years and I don't think I've ever know anyone to pm back sayng thanks.

I've just looked at mine and realized I was sent flowers days ago.

Thank you flower sender.

xx
Male
A_man_called_CHIOG  Male  South East London 26-Jan-2017 16:11 Message #4675000
I think the short message is best too Yaffa.
Male
A_man_called_CHIOG  Male  South East London 26-Jan-2017 16:12 Message #4675001
That is the problem Mr Fox. When you log on you should see a large message across the screen telling you about the bunch of flowers. It might encou8rage dating if you know someone has sent you some.

I'll have the bottle of champagne thanks.
Male
TheCommonTit  Male  Avon 26-Jan-2017 16:19 Message #4675002
CHOIG

I agree in theory making a bigger feature of it may help - the problem is it's so easy to send gifts to people that scammers will exploit it and literately send out 100's of gifts to everyone hoping someone will bite.

You'll probably end up logging on with 100's of kisses in your inbox - nice at first but soon becoming little more than spam.

I agree that a message is the best thing.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 26-Jan-2017 19:16 Message #4675028
I'd rather have a message, for one, I'd know I'd got one whereas with a bunch of flowers I don't and secondly if someones "subtle" it will go right over my head, I'd just think, 'oh thats nice' and it wouldn't occur to me that it was an overture.
Female
sunnyagain  Female  Hampshire 26-Jan-2017 21:29 Message #4675041
I ignore flowers, waves etc. I don't get it when they keeping looking either, just send a message!
Male
TheCommonTit  Male  Avon 26-Jan-2017 22:02 Message #4675044
I dare say they are quite useful if you are a total pussy and you daren't pm people. The problem is, of course, is if you're that much of a puss bag then chances are you'll never pluck up enough courage to actually meet up.

So, if you do use these thing - chances are you need help.
Male
londonlee  Male  Buckinghamshire 26-Jan-2017 22:07 Message #4675045
A lot of men and women are shy or lacking in confidence and would find starting off with a bunch of cyber flowers or friendly wave a good way to break the ice.
It doesn't make them a total pussy and might well show them to be a better dating prospect than someone who is loud and brash and totally up themselves.

Not that we have loud brash people on this friendly site :)

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »