Conversation The Forum
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Do you hate pets?

1 2 3 Next >  Last >> 

Male
A_man_called_CHIOG  Male  South East London 26-Jan-2017 15:34 Message #4674994
It seems quite a few people profess to hate cats or dogs in particular.

Why is this?

Do you hate any pets?
Male
Wry  Male  Norfolk 26-Jan-2017 18:37 Message #4675015
The why is that there's something wrong with them: probably ignorance and the inability to empathise.

I like all animals (including spiders), but I hate to see them mistreated or caged.

I dislike horse racing, animal breeding or showing, and fishing as sport.

Dogs are jolly nice, but cats rule!
Female
itsnotme  Female  Tyne and Wear 26-Jan-2017 18:43 Message #4675017
What Wry says, apart from a reversal of his last sentence. I have to say that as Smokey Joe is sitting by me, and if I say that cats rule he won't take me for a walk.

I understand people being scared of them, but not why some claim to hate them.
Male
HonestBob  Male  the Central region 26-Jan-2017 19:02 Message #4675020
Dogs rule!!!

I love my wee dog, my life revolves round him...

I'm not keen on rats, snakes and frogs as pets, but wouldn't say I hated them.

But I do hate spiders
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 26-Jan-2017 19:03 Message #4675021
I don't understand people who hate animals either and I'm not sure I want the sort of mind that could. Theres a few I don't like, I'm afraid of spiders and daddylonglegs.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 26-Jan-2017 19:05 Message #4675023
I find it a bit weird when people say they hate animals. I can understand them not wanting to have pets or not being particularly interested in getting close, but hate?
Female
BunnyGirl  Female  Buckinghamshire 26-Jan-2017 19:24 Message #4675033
I used to love my cat but when she died i and my sons were so upset but then after a few months this other cat kept
coming into the garden so i adopted him but then never saw him for ages until one day he had collar with a phone number
on it. It turned out she went from his old home to mine but he had cancer and died and the owner had told me so again
was sad.
Eventually i bought a hamster for my son and she died after an injury to her foot being caught up in the wheel.(She loved
this wheel in her cage and we would make a ring on the floor with our legs so she could run around) but my son would
not go to school until he buried her in the garden. So after that i thought no more. He did ask me to buy a dog and i said
no you cannot take the cat and hampster dying it would be worse if we have a dog.

So yes i do like animals even spiders (only to a point) not too close though.
Male
londonlee  Male  Buckinghamshire 26-Jan-2017 22:31 Message #4675046
I wouldn't want a pet but I like all animals particularly those in the wild. I could never be friends with anyone who was cruel to animals.
Female
bella111  Female  Devon 26-Jan-2017 22:43 Message #4675047
I love my dog, but he is an Animal and I accept that, so if it came to anyone on here and my dog for the chop, well sorry folks...Bang...
Female
leogirl  Female  Essex 26-Jan-2017 23:56 Message #4675051
Snakes, rats, ferrets , and caged birds are not my favourite animals , but I do not wish them harm.
my mother had a tame chicken who would come and sit with her , either on her chair or on her lap . The chicken needed treatment on her claw when it was fairly young and got used to my mother handling her .

leogirl.
Female
bella111  Female  Devon 27-Jan-2017 00:05 Message #4675052
Well leo girl have you got used to handling the men on here, doubt it they seem to think they rule the roost oh sorry they are Roosters Cock a doodle doo...
Female
leogirl  Female  Essex 27-Jan-2017 00:39 Message #4675055
hello Bella,

the only male I tamed, eventually !, was Huxley the dog! I had to jump on him and tackle him down when he went wild and knocked my glasses of . I was on the stairs and fell a few steps ... scary , but I acted immediately.

( some ) Men try to tame the Lioness in me , but they fail miserably. GGGRRR
Male
Argonaut  Male  Lancashire 27-Jan-2017 08:10 Message #4675058
I like all animals except those that are a threat to life, health, and sanity.

What I don't like is people who encourage the breeding of cats that are then allowed to decimate the local avian fauna, or the morons who take their yapping little pets out in public and leave them outside a shop, or in their car, to disturb others with their constant whining, yapping, or barking!

Oh! And also the morons who take their dog for pooh-poohs and don't clean up after them! Maybe if someone rubbed the owner's face in their dog's mess they might then get the message!

I also dislike people who hate, and kill, our harmless spiders! They need educating!

Jason.
Male
londonlee  Male  Buckinghamshire 27-Jan-2017 08:42 Message #4675060
*Well leo girl have you got used to handling the men on here, doubt it they seem to think they rule the roost oh sorry they are Roosters Cock a doodle doo... *

I missed out on that. Hi leo girl I'm over here :)

Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 27-Jan-2017 11:02 Message #4675072
One thing I would never do again is give up a pet because a partner didn't like it, I still feel guilty about giving the dog I had when my children were babies to another good home. I wish I'd got rid of the partner, I think the dog was far more loving, loyal and useful.
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 27-Jan-2017 12:30 Message #4675088
argo,

"I also dislike people who hate, and kill, our harmless spiders! They need educating!"

so how would you educate me so i am rid of my totally irrational phobia of spiders ?
its the big ones i cant tolerate.
im well aware of the good they do, but if there is one on the loose then there is no way i can relax until the situation is resolved !

also, we have some spiders that bite, and these can cause nasty infections, so they are not all harmless !
Male
Argonaut  Male  Lancashire 27-Jan-2017 13:11 Message #4675093
fosy,

There's no easy way to desensitize people from irrational fears - any method chosen must be tailored to the individual.

In a way I can quite understand people's phobia of spiders - a couple of times I've 'reacted' when I've found one on me - not that I'm frightened of them but I don't like the thought of them squashed on my body, or clothing, as happened once when one crawled up my leg.

If you're aware of the good they do then you're probably part way there - so many people don't have a clue.

All spiders (as far as I know) are capable of biting but I've handled many spiders and never once been bitten by them.

As far as I know (again!) there's only one spider endemic to the British Isles that has a bite that can cause infection and that is usually found in the south west of England.

It's possible that some people may have an allergic reaction to a spider's bite but I've never read of anyone suffering a serious illness through one (foreign spiders excluded).

Jason.
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 27-Jan-2017 14:26 Message #4675105
"A decorator almost lost his leg and will have to learn to walk again after he suffered a horrific bite from Britain's most poisonous spider.

the spider was the false widow, they had to cut open the full length of the thigh to try and drain the puss out...a rare case but it can happen.

there are one or two others whose bite can cause swelling/pain that can last for a few hours to a couple of days.

i sometimes wonder if i "caught" my phobia from my mother who was terrified of them.
Female
leogirl  Female  Essex 27-Jan-2017 15:17 Message #4675109
Londonlee

Miauwww purr purr
Male
londonlee  Male  Buckinghamshire 27-Jan-2017 16:27 Message #4675115
Cheeky ;)
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 27-Jan-2017 17:43 Message #4675123
I think that the reaction to spiders is a fairly primeval one. I cannot say that I am afraid of spiders or have any kind of phobia, but when not expecting to see a large one, I have reacted with revulsion.
I remember once having an attack of the screaming abdabs when I accidentally walked into the web of a very large nephila spider in the gambia. They are bird catchers and are pretty big. Their webs are massive and the threads a bit steel hausers. A minor exaggeration, but they don't break easily and the web wrapped itself around me. I never even saw the resident, even if it was at home when it happened, but I danced right down the pathway before the friends that I was with managed to reassure me that there was no spider on me anywhere. eeugh! The thought of it still makes me shudder.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 27-Jan-2017 17:45 Message #4675124
" Roosters Cock a doodle doo... "

nah, they are chicken, for sure.

: - )))
Male
AndyMacG  Male  the West Midlands 27-Jan-2017 17:58 Message #4675127
Woderoushen, I know someone who gave up there lovely pet greyhound dog for a partner, something I would never do either!

I can’t understand why anyone would hate pets especially if they had chosen to have a pet, I think the word “pet” suggests a choice.
Now if you have a phobia or fear of anything it still wouldn’t mean to say you would hate it/them.
Personally I have a fear of snakes, i’m not to keen on spiders or cats but I don’t hate them.

Andy Mac
Male
AndyMacG  Male  the West Midlands 27-Jan-2017 17:59 Message #4675128
On a lighter note ... What do you call a monkey in a MineField? …. A Ba-BOOM ;-) lol

Andy Mac
Male
AndyMacG  Male  the West Midlands 27-Jan-2017 18:04 Message #4675130
On a lighter note ... What do you call a monkey in a MineField? …. A Ba-BOOM ;-) lol

Andy Mac

1 2 3 Next >  Last >> 

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »