Conversation Dating and Relationships
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Civil partnerships

for hetrosexuals

Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 26-Jan-2017 10:25 Message #4674965
A cross party group of MP's is calling for the ban on men and women being able to have a civil partnership ended. I thought the idea of civil partnerships were a sop to gay people for the ban on them marrying, now that bans been lifted whats the point of a civil partnership? Theres nothing stopping anyone from booking an appointment at a registery office and getting married, you don't have to have a big fuss if you don't want one. Its said that its an equality thing, can somebody explain why we need civil partnerships at all, for anybody?
Male
D-2017  Male  Essex 26-Jan-2017 10:42 Message #4674974
Maybe it's as simple as them not wanting it to be a religious ceremony as
opposite-sex couples can opt for a religious or civil marriage ceremony as they choose, whereas formation of a civil partnership will be an exclusively civil procedure.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 26-Jan-2017 10:46 Message #4674976
But if you marry in a registry office its not religious anyway, some people do go on and have a religious blessing or even a whole religious wedding if the celebrant place or service isn't able to carry out a legal wedding.
Male
brisinger  Male  Lancashire 26-Jan-2017 12:08 Message #4674983
I can understand it. My brother has been with his partner for over 20 years - that's longer than many couples nowadays - now but they don't want to get married for a piece of paper. He's always maintained that he has no intention of getting married, even in a registry office. The current legal implications if one of them dies could leave the other in a mess financially. Why should you have to get a piece of paper just to please the government?
Female
wholelottakaren  Female  Lincolnshire 26-Jan-2017 17:05 Message #4675007
I used to wonder why we needed it once gays could marry but I can see benefits now People may not wish to marry for any number of reasons but would wish to see their partner protected
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 26-Jan-2017 19:13 Message #4675027
But surely making a will would sort things out for a partner much more permanently? If you die without a will thenn theres no guarantee that your partner would inherit, your estate could end up with a family member you've never met or tha you don't like and theres no onus on themm to respect any wishes of yours.

What do people feel a civil partnership gives that a marriage dosen't or vice versa? Isn't it just another way of governments legitimising and pigeon holling relationships?

I'm curious at the differences if any and why people would choose a civil partnership over a civil marriage.
Female
itsnotme  Female  Tyne and Wear 26-Jan-2017 19:18 Message #4675029
I'm not convinced we need them for anybody now, but while same-sex couples can still have a civil partnership as well as a marriage it's only fair that heterosexual couples should have the same choice.

A will could be contested whatever the relationship, but I think having some formal/legal recognition of it would mean any contest would be more likely to fail in the courts.
Male
Wry  Male  Buckinghamshire 26-Jan-2017 19:21 Message #4675030
Sings: "Love and marriage go together with a load of baggage".

People need an arrangement to establish issues regarding next-of-kin, tax, pensions and inheritance. The form to be signed to establish all that could simply have a box to be ticked asking, "Do you want this partnership to be consisted a marriage?"

People authorised to ratify the arrangements could include quickly trained friends, religious personnel and registrars - with or without associated ceremonies.

Simples!
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 26-Jan-2017 19:24 Message #4675032
I think if a will were contested then a civil partnership could be used for saying the relationship wasn't valid or the couple would of married. Personally I think the courts take quite a dim view of people contesting wills unless theres some evidence of mental incapacity, coersion or something similar. It might be different if the relationship had broken down, the will was written years before or there was a case for the children being maliciously disinherited or something. I still think the best thing is to have a will and update it every few years.

What do you feel its a choice between in terms of legal mechanics and stuff?
Female
wholelottakaren  Female  Lincolnshire 26-Jan-2017 21:38 Message #4675043
for a kick off a lot of pension entitlement dies with the holder unless there is a spouse or presumably a legal partner
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 27-Jan-2017 10:30 Message #4675065
Karen, thats a good point, but then I think pensions laws are lagging behind, its seems that you save for a pension often its compulsory, but unlike a savings bank account you can't pass it on to your heirs. People could of efectively have mega bucks in a pension pot and if they die before they've lived long enough to benefit fully from it, who benefits from it? It seems like another stealth tax.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »