Conversation Dating and Relationships
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Cupid''s Arrow

1 2 3 Next >  Last >> 

Female
Cassis  Female  Cambridgeshire 16-Jan-2017 17:02 Message #4673734
For you, does it come with wonderful delights on Valentines Day?

Reading Polly's and Minnie's Valentine Card threads made me realise my V-Days have been damp squibs for quite a while. Although I've been in relationships at that time mostly over the past several years, I haven't received a card for ages let alone a romantic gift or gesture.

Last year the man in question had suggested we go out for a romantic meal: he arrived late at my house and then said he hadn't thought of booking anywhere so could I try to find somewhere we could go (oh yes, at 8.45 pm and a drive away from any restaurant). I gave him a card, he gave me a bottle of concentrated unsweetened cherry juice so nicely wrapped in a brown paper bag! No card. [And, no, I don't have a liking for cherry concentrate, nor was there any reason for him to think I had).

Year before nothing.

Year before that nothing, followed up by a "I don't believe in Valentines Day".
Etc

Yet I remember a time of heartfelt messages in pretty cards, flowers, jewellery, hand-written poems (even a specially written song), a champagne enhanced hot air balloon ride, dinner at the high revolving restaurant overlooking the illuminated Niagara Falls.

So do I date the wrong men? Is romance dead? Is it "me"? ??

Do you still have lovely romantic things come your way on V-Day, and has that always been so?
Male
GentleFella  Male  Buckinghamshire 16-Jan-2017 17:21 Message #4673735
Yes Cassis
I think that you have been teaming up the wrong guys
You are going to have to rethink your selection criteria
Sounds like thoughtfulness needs to be elevated
Male
AndyMacG  Male  the West Midlands 16-Jan-2017 17:33 Message #4673738
You are obviously dating the wrong men Cassis, i truly believe that romance and romantic thoughts and gestures are well and truly alive but saying that i didn't send any cards last year (2016 or 2015) 2014 & 2013 i was in a relationship and on both valentines nights the restaurant was booked, flowers were sent, gifts given, cards delivered and what did i get in return SFA in fact on the both occasions she ended the evening with someone else but after all this time i still believe romance is alive its just the choices we make of the person to give it to ... I will be sending a card/s this year ;-)

Andy Mac
Male
Argonaut  Male  Lancashire 16-Jan-2017 17:36 Message #4673739
Be grateful for what you've had!

Some of us haven't even had a relationship on a Valentine's day - nor anyone interested in us - so stop moaning about what you haven't had.

Jason.
Female
Phoenixnights  Female  Nottinghamshire 16-Jan-2017 17:42 Message #4673740
Cant remember the last time I had anything on Valentines day from a bloke. I just get cards from the dog I sponsor at Dogs Trust.

Better than nothing , I guess ...
Male
stu1234  Male  Gloucestershire 16-Jan-2017 17:43 Message #4673741
Do you date the wrong men? I don't know, but from what I have read on your posts on here over the last few years, you seem to get through rather a lot of them. I might be wrong, but it is an impression I get. Maybe they get that impression as well.

Whether it is planned that way, one night stands etc, or it's your fault or their fault, I wouldn't know.

I would certainly be wary of lavishing gifts, flowers, romantic poems etc on someone who stands a high chance of moving on to the next one pretty soon.
Male
Wry  Male  Buckinghamshire 16-Jan-2017 17:53 Message #4673747
I think it would be worth some flowers
To be with Cassis if just for hours
I'm sure I could afford a bunch
If she would join me for some lunch
I think I'd like it very much
Especially if Cassis goes dutch
Male
Dustybin  Male  Suffolk 16-Jan-2017 17:58 Message #4673750
Poor you Phoenix. That's a bit wuff!
Female
Eschifer  Female  Cheshire 16-Jan-2017 18:15 Message #4673757
it depends on what you see in the day and what you expect from that person you are dating.

I don't like Christmas, for me it holds nothing but bad memories and bad times so it's just another day in the year.

I don't like the fuss around Valentine's Day, just for one day. Say you love that special person every day.

My birthday is soon but I believe it will pass by with no fuss and no one bothering.

Do I date the wrong people, sometimes, but then I eat the wrong foods as well. Such is life.
Female
Cassis  Female  Cambridgeshire 16-Jan-2017 21:51 Message #4673776
STU
I wouldn't have bothered to reply to your obnoxious statement had not 5 other people considered such an ill-informed, libellous comment to be "excellent"...guess it goes to show why fewer and fewer people see any merit in belonging or commenting on this site. Dating a lot of men is not synonymous with "having one night stands etc". In fact it is often the very opposite.
For your information,I don't continue dating someone if I don't feel there is sufficient connection to develop a relationship, and I don't become intimate with a man unless we have the emotional and intellectual connection to eventually get to that point. Instead I leave it and am free to date similarly again. I have a strong moral code, and it is one that also precludes the dating of, and relationship with, a man just to be one of a couple and for what he will give or do for me...thus the unromantic men in my life are unfortunately those I have developed a relationship with and really like...just my misfortune, or bad choices, that they weren't romantic or thoughtful...
That is the whole point of my opening post!
Male
stu1234  Male  Gloucestershire 16-Jan-2017 22:10 Message #4673780
Sounds like I have hit a raw nerve there.

Hope you get lots of nice Valentine things this year.
Male
TheCommonTit  Male  Avon 16-Jan-2017 22:15 Message #4673782
Nothing like throwing a tantrum and threatening people with lawsuits to get those cards rolling in.
Female
bella111  Female  Devon 16-Jan-2017 22:33 Message #4673783
And there is nothing like ignorance and jealous men, who cant find dates or enjoy themselves travel and look good.Dont worry Cassis just pity them.
Female
Cassis  Female  Cambridgeshire 16-Jan-2017 23:11 Message #4673785
MSE at its best eh Bella? Otherwise known as the Cantankerous Old Buffers Club.

Male
Dustybin  Male  Suffolk 16-Jan-2017 23:23 Message #4673788
It's Blue Monday Cassis!
Female
bella111  Female  Devon 16-Jan-2017 23:26 Message #4673789
Nah Dusty it is old mans blues especially the afore mentioned...lol
Male
londonlee  Male  Buckinghamshire 16-Jan-2017 23:28 Message #4673792
Dunno how some people manage to become so miserable ... I'm always happy :)
Female
bella111  Female  Devon 16-Jan-2017 23:53 Message #4673795
Most probably cuz you enjoy listening to nasty people, just dont push your luck men like you will never be anything special or anything actually...
Female
PollyValentiniusPoppy  Female  Worcestershire 17-Jan-2017 00:21 Message #4673803
Lordy! Did Cupid's rival fire a poison arrow at this thread?!

There! Cupid's Postie has sprinkled it with magic dust so only nice comments can be made!

Polly
x
Female
bella111  Female  Devon 17-Jan-2017 00:31 Message #4673804
No Polly I think you are great doing Valentine card messaging, but there is no need for a couple of guys picking on a woman. I am just a bit disappointed none of you gals have come to her defence.

Considering most of you/me have not met one another... just think it is sad...
Male
stu1234  Male  Gloucestershire 17-Jan-2017 00:45 Message #4673805
OK, only nice comments.

In answer to the original questions in the opening post 'So do I date the wrong men? Is romance dead? Is it "me"? ??'

So do I date the wrong men?---I don't know

Is romance dead?---I don't know

Is it "me"? ??---I don't know.

Are they ok, or are they not nice enough. I will have another go.

So do I date the wrong men?---Yes of course you do. Someone as wonderful as yourself deserves the very best men in the world.

Is romance dead?---Not when you are such a romantic like yourself. You are the most perfect romantic person in the world.

Is it "me"? ??---If only it was, that would be the easy excuse, but its not you at all. You are the most wonderful person in the world.

Is that what you want to hear? Definitely not from me, I would think.
Male
Steve1959  Male  Nottinghamshire 17-Jan-2017 00:52 Message #4673806
I can see an over reaction to her post but not as much as some women can. I think if Cassis wasn't so open in her personnel life then she would suffer less perceived slings and arrows

From a personnel point of view I don't give a dam. Live and let live and all that
Female
Cassis  Female  Cambridgeshire 17-Jan-2017 00:58 Message #4673807
Too true Bella, and thank you, at least.

The irony is that it wasn't meant to be anything other than a fairly lighthearted thread. I had a rotten end to 2016 with the deaths of both my boyfriend's young sister and my own mother, then the total breakdown he suffered as a result of his grief, that ended our relationship. This morning I got news that my beloved god-daughter is succumbing to the same illness that killed her mother, my best friend at age 22.
Wanting to enter a different reality and take my mind off it for a while, I came on here to have some good natured chat or banter. Well that was a bad idea obviously. I shan't bother to try and inject this dying site with new threads or benign posts again. ...let the ship just sink.

I would say that I'll add judgemental and vitriolic comments if that is what is seen as site fun, but that's not me, I can't be mean, and especially to the detritus that is among the decent people on here. I was always told to say nothing if you can't say anything nice.
Female
Cassis  Female  Cambridgeshire 17-Jan-2017 01:00 Message #4673808
Steve
Actually I reveal very little of the actual details of my personal life - I speak historically, generally, and tongue-in-cheek most of the time. What I just wrote above is the closest I've ever come to detail.
Female
joolsy  Female  Essex 17-Jan-2017 01:08 Message #4673810
Cassis ... Biggest hugs my lovely ... Why is life so shitty sometimes eh ... Be kind to yourself ... Rest and pamper yourself ... You have been through so much my lovely ... It will soon be Spring then we can arrange a girls week end ... Lots of love Jools X ((( biggest hugs )))

1 2 3 Next >  Last >> 

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »