Conversation Dating and Relationships
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

V Day cards

to sign or not to sign

Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 15-Jan-2017 17:24 Message #4673570
So, following on from Miss Polly Postie's thread, should one sign one's Valentine's cards, or not?

Is that not part of the fun to create a little mystery and keep them guessing?

And what if you sign it and they don't feel the same; is that embarrassing?
Female
RAACH84  Female  Buckinghamshire 15-Jan-2017 18:00 Message #4673572
Unless you want to remain a secret admirer then the card must at least provide a clue to your identity.
Male
AndyMacG  Male  the West Midlands 15-Jan-2017 18:05 Message #4673574
I'll give you a clue ... if i send a card/s i always leave a clue for the recipient/s otherwise what would be the point and rejection, well, being used to that it doesn't bother me in the slightest :)

Andy Mac
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 15-Jan-2017 18:36 Message #4673585
If I was sending a card to someone I was already building a friendship with and felt we were both wanting more then I probably wouldn't sign it, but leave clues that hopefully she would get - if it was to a stranger as an ice breaker then I think it would be pointless not to sign it...
Male
badman  Male  Suffolk 15-Jan-2017 18:36 Message #4673586
I'm pretty sure my lady will guess who it's from.
Female
BunnyGirl  Female  Buckinghamshire 15-Jan-2017 19:46 Message #4673608
Not had a valentine's card for yonks .
Female
Blue-Poppy  Female  East Yorkshire 15-Jan-2017 20:58 Message #4673625
Once many years ago I sent out eight cards - all unsigned - but I gave them to a delivery driver to take to another branch of the firm up in Newcastle, where I had already arranged with a member of staff to post them.

All the recipients were pretty puzzled at the postmark and only one cottoned on it was me.

The following year I repeated this but had them sent from Edinburgh. It was a laugh but I like to think gave the recipients enjoyment, flattery and something to puzzle about.
Male
vanman  Male  Cambridgeshire 15-Jan-2017 21:53 Message #4673628
Good heavens is it that time of year already!? hardly seems long since the last one!

Course I would sign it, don't want anyone saving it and sending it to someone else next year! lol.
Female
bella111  Female  Devon 15-Jan-2017 22:05 Message #4673629
I have at least one a year for a few years only one on successive years have I known who, the clues have gone right over my head... So ..lol if anyone is going to send me one make it obvious (cough..cough)
Female
Bewildered  Female  Norfolk 15-Jan-2017 22:22 Message #4673630
I dont see the point if you have no idea who its from.

Best to give a clue I think.

As Valentines is a bit of fun if the recipient doesnt feel the same its really a big deal.
BUT if they do it could be a way of breaking the ice and getting a clue if the person would be interested in further communication etc. :-)
Female
Bewildered  Female  Norfolk 15-Jan-2017 22:41 Message #4673633
oops
not a big deal is what I meant
Male
GentleFella  Male  Buckinghamshire 15-Jan-2017 22:54 Message #4673634
Yes agree with others there must be a clue as to the sender
I still have cards from previous years and have no idea who sent them despite lots of "deer stalker and pipe" work
Female
PollyValentiniusPoppy  Female  Worcestershire 16-Jan-2017 00:42 Message #4673645
I guess it's up to the individual concerned and the reason for sending the card in the first place. I consider if you send a card to someone you really fancy and hope to get to know much better, why waste the perfect opportunity.

I'd kick myself if I missed the chance to at least meet the bloke I fancied because I was too coy/scared/uncertain to at least give a massive clue.

Polly
X
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 16-Jan-2017 08:15 Message #4673657
So when the lucky chap gets his card, should I write with love from miss minx inside then? : - )))

Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 16-Jan-2017 12:22 Message #4673702
I think the last time I got an anonymous valentines card must of been at school, it was one of the favourite tricks of bullies to send someone like me a valentines card and then watch and laugh as you thought someone actually liked you.

Valentines is one of those minefields for Aspergers people, its one I tend to avoid, I'd far rather ask or be asked a straight questions get or give a straight answer and not have all this mucking about.
Male
The_Snow_Covered_Fool  Male  Cheshire 16-Jan-2017 13:37 Message #4673717
I never have a clue who's sent me unsigned ones ! even some with clues in them.

Chris.
Female
Bewildered  Female  Norfolk 16-Jan-2017 14:59 Message #4673723
I think the Valentine post is a fab idea.

Dont take it to seriously though. Someone has gone to the bother of sending you a card I think it is lovely. BUT I do think a clue is necessary other wise what a waste.

Its a great way to break the ice .

keep up the good work Polly x
Female
PollyValentiniusPoppy  Female  Worcestershire 16-Jan-2017 15:16 Message #4673725
The choice of wording is yours, Minxie, as is the option to remain anonymous, should you so desire.

However, I'm of the opinion that unless you're sending it on a friendship-only level (which is what a number of MSE people have done over the years - myself included), you should make your intentions clear to the recipient by at least giving a big clue.

I guess there's many an old bint/fella gathering dust on life's shelf who wishes they'd grabbed an opportunity when it presented itself.

Polly
Cupid's Postie
X
Female
BunnyGirl  Female  Buckinghamshire 18-Jan-2017 08:18 Message #4673952
My son at the tine was 12 yrs old when he bought me this pin brooch with a lilac silk flower and wore it on one

of my coats for years. Then i bought a new coat a couple of years ago and pinned it on the lapel and it came off.

Was very upset. Cause he was the only person to give me something on Valentine's day x
Female
BunnyGirl  Female  Buckinghamshire 18-Jan-2017 08:39 Message #4673956
its ok to receive a Valentine's Card from someone that you may be interested in , but to receive a card from a person

you are not interested in is disappointing and could ruin the day! x
Male
Wry  Male  Buckinghamshire 18-Jan-2017 11:11 Message #4673975
You haven't lost the memory of that lilac flower brooch, Yaffa. What a lovely present it was, and still is. And let's hope Mr Right read the message about the card too. Have you let him know you're interested?
Female
BunnyGirl  Female  Buckinghamshire 18-Jan-2017 12:21 Message #4673994
Have not got anyone!

You read the thread wrong.
Male
Templar2013  Male  South East London 18-Jan-2017 13:05 Message #4674001
Receiving a mystery card does add abit of intrigue but I think most of us want to know who sent them.
Why Yaffa, would receiving a card from someone you are not interested in ruin the day? If someone fancies me but I dont fancy them I am still flattered.
Female
bella111  Female  Devon 18-Jan-2017 13:08 Message #4674003
I was going to say the same thing templar it would still bring a smile to my face and it is a feel good factor.
Male
Wry  Male  Buckinghamshire 18-Jan-2017 13:54 Message #4674007
Yaffa. I read the thread (see, I can rhyme too) in which you said, "Glad i did as now in conversation with somebody nice." And hence I gave you my advice.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »