Conversation Dating and Relationships
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Dating Site Shock

Is this Agism ?

1 2 Next >  Last >> 

Female
life2701  Female  West Yorkshire 4-Dec-2016 07:36 Message #4668280
In my early mid thirties I signed up to a popular free dating site overwhelmed but not flattered by the amount of tedious boring messages of interest and decided not to catch any fish and return to the real world

Ive now attempted to try my luck again second time around at the age of 39 years of age.

Very little traffic compared to previous years was confused to why

reduced my age to 36 now the traffic is back to what I was used to previously.

This is rather concerning ...have I now reached an age whereby I have to be dishonest about my age to receive a larger pool of interest.

Is this the reason people lie about their ages ? always wondered why !

Once a lady reaches 40 via a dating site are we left on the shelf and have a smaller pool of interest from the male population in the internet world

what are other peoples experiences since hitting the big 40

and there was me thinking life begun at 40

yet my ego has been crushed aha
Female
Tweetie Pie  Female  Oxfordshire 4-Dec-2016 08:23 Message #4668283
I lied once but when someone finds out you are dishonest it is not good so I never lie now. However I am rare in that respect. Try approaching seventy! It gets harder the older you get. I am told I look ten years younger but honesty is the best policy in my opinion.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 4-Dec-2016 08:25 Message #4668284
I can't say because I was 40 when I became single again and I was alone for 7 years. tbh, I wasn't making much effort, as I wasn't in a good place to meet someone.
Then I joined MSE and met someone that I was with for 10 years. We split last year and I am positively ancient now, by your calculation. Since then I have been concentrating on getting a social life and I have no shortage of male friends. Just waiting for some romance to develop.
Male
Argonaut  Male  Lancashire 4-Dec-2016 09:08 Message #4668288
It probably is ageism - 'cos there's no legislation regarding people's preferences.

You'll just have to learn to grow old gracefully like the majority of people who have passed a certain age barrier.

Complaining ain't gonna change nothing tho' the responses you may get may help to clarify reality for you.

The best you can do is to be honest, show your best side - and hope!

Jason.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 4-Dec-2016 09:13 Message #4668289
I prefer to grow old disgracefully.
Male
Argonaut  Male  Lancashire 4-Dec-2016 09:18 Message #4668292
I can well see you being very successful in that venture Minnie!

Jason.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 4-Dec-2016 09:21 Message #4668293
I do hope so.
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire 4-Dec-2016 20:19 Message #4668375
MAybe it is a problem on dating sites. Do readers assume that everybody knocks a few years off and assume 30 means 45 perhaps? Not that one is past it at 45 of course.

40 for me was so long ago the inernet hadn't been invented.
Male
frey  Male  Lancashire 4-Dec-2016 22:12 Message #4668379
I think that I end up growing old disgracefully in a lot of people's eyes because I don't give a damn about age...
Male
Nigel_In_Devon  Male  Devon 4-Dec-2016 22:33 Message #4668380
Actually Aely, I take what people say about their age at face value...I can be cynical with many things but I prefer to think people are being honest until they show they aren't.
Female
RoseyCheeks  Female  Nottinghamshire 5-Dec-2016 23:02 Message #4668470
Could just be a younger demographic using the site? But I suspect it's deluded old men thinking they can be someone's sugar daddy...
Male
Samuel  Male  Buckinghamshire 2-Jan-2017 13:55 Message #4671380
Hi life2701

I am new to this site but,I just saw this post of yours...you are right its the norm for these sites to have everybody being dishonest about their intentions and its more than just their age...society is sick in my opinion family values have long since left the building, this being one reason i choose to join this site...the nature of dating sites is based around matrerialist needs instead of what the site was originally intended for which was to find a life partner or just good friend who shares the same value set as yourself...society has become extremely shallow in this regard and it does`nt seem things will improve in the future...most of these people who visit these sites (Not All mind you) have very few if any ethics or self respect hence their ability to lie.
Male
Samuel  Male  Buckinghamshire 2-Jan-2017 15:33 Message #4671396
Not so much men more like females i have had what i suspect as very young females (36) messages in one day, and took none seriously, asking for photos and such. Finding a woman is not the issue finding the truth is... young girls gravitate towards single older men for security and a free pass, the odds on any relationship built on such values enduring is fantasy...because as soon as they have found something better they will be off, yeah their are lots guys who look but very few who find.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 2-Jan-2017 16:05 Message #4671398
You dont have much luck with the ladies the Samuel. You'll be safe on this site they are all friendly :)

Male
johnlock  Male  Essex 2-Jan-2017 16:09 Message #4671399
Samuel: I can assure you that no young females are gravitating in my direction!

Regards
John
Male
Samuel  Male  Buckinghamshire 2-Jan-2017 16:46 Message #4671404
Why Thank you !
Male
Samuel  Male  Buckinghamshire 2-Jan-2017 16:52 Message #4671406
Sorry to hear that...i think "what irony"
Male
Nigel_In_Devon  Male  Devon 2-Jan-2017 17:49 Message #4671410
What a very sad outlook Samuel.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 2-Jan-2017 17:52 Message #4671411
lol I bet all those young females are thinking ... I dunno what it is about all these old blokes, keep gravitating towards us young women, dirty buggers, they're only after my nubile body. Once they've had their wicked way, I'm dumped.
Female
wholelottakaren  Female  Lincolnshire 2-Jan-2017 19:41 Message #4671427
Is it really age? I dont know any more.
Male
Samuel  Male  Buckinghamshire 2-Jan-2017 21:16 Message #4671437
one asks the question do older men dump younger woman? HHMMM??? and the term dirty old men does it include dirty old women? or would that be unfair?
Male
Samuel  Male  Buckinghamshire 2-Jan-2017 21:19 Message #4671439
it should never be about age, although all of my previous relationships have been with women 10 years older than myself beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Male
Samuel  Male  Buckinghamshire 2-Jan-2017 21:21 Message #4671442
I have no sad outlook and i am sorry that you see it that way but "reality" is always there once you return to the ground and smell the coffee.
Male
Nigel_In_Devon  Male  Devon 3-Jan-2017 02:19 Message #4671461
Samuel..."you are right its the norm for these sites to have everybody being dishonest about their intentions and its more than just their age"

It certainly hasn't been my experience! I still consider it a sad attitude to make such generalisations.
Male
Wry  Male  Buckinghamshire 3-Jan-2017 02:30 Message #4671463
digital v. analogue

our ages are digital, but we are analogue. We all age at different rates and have good days and bad days.

pictures are analogue at gallery level (not pixel level). We don't look through our photos and pick the ones that represents us most honestly, we choose the ones that make us look good (or as near as).

So, if your age is absolutely accurate on your profile, is your picture as honest?

1 2 Next >  Last >> 

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »