Conversation Dating and Relationships
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Dating Site Shock

Is this Agism ?

Female
life2701  Female  West Yorkshire 4-Dec-2016 07:36 Message #4668279
In my early mid thirties I signed up to a popular free dating site overwhelmed but not flattered by the amount of tedious boring messages of interest and decided not to catch any fish and return to the real world

Ive now attempted to try my luck again second time around at the age of 39 years of age.

Very little traffic compared to previous years was confused to why

reduced my age to 36 now the traffic is back to what I was used to previously.

This is rather concerning ...have I now reached an age whereby I have to be dishonest about my age to receive a larger pool of interest.

Is this the reason people lie about their ages ? always wondered why !

Once a lady reaches 40 via a dating site are we left on the shelf and have a smaller pool of interest from the male population in the internet world

what are other peoples experiences since hitting the big 40

and there was me thinking life begun at 40

yet my ego has been crushed aha
Male
Nigel_In_Devon  Male  Devon 4-Dec-2016 09:38 Message #4668299
What? Twice?
Male
johnlock  Male  Essex 4-Dec-2016 12:14 Message #4668333
Try being 60+ for lack of interest!

Regards
John
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 4-Dec-2016 16:56 Message #4668359
A lot of members on dating sites change their age for the search criteria but remain honest by stating their correct age on their profile. Purists might frown but appearing in search criteria is a necessity for interacting with other members. Many sites completely exclude you from appearing in a search depending on age so you could be 30 today attracting attention and when you become 30 plus a few seconds you suddenly disappear into obscurity which is an absolute nonsense.
This site is ideal for those interested in the over 50s :)
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 4-Dec-2016 22:42 Message #4668383
It has absolutely nothing to do with age or dishonesty or trying to fool anyone. It is possibly the only way in sone sites to allow your profile to be seen by those who's criteria might exclude you when having accessed your profile might well be pleased to have done do.

If my criteria states only ladies between the ages of 40 and 50 it is very likely that a lady who is 51 but looks 40 would be of interest to me. Also those who are mature for their age and want to be accessed by older members. We shouldn't assume that everyone is looking for younger.

This site doesn't have a system which excludes to such a great extent but many sites do. Those who have not been on such sites might not understand how it works.

Obviously it is imperative to make your true age very clear on your profile as that s only fair to others.
Male
vonticklehoffen  Male  Cheshire 5-Dec-2016 10:12 Message #4668405
I have seen several profiles, on this site and others where a female has her age listed as 30 for example but has been honest in their description and revealed they are a different age. As long as a person is honest in their profile description I see no harm in it.

For me personally age really is just a number, it bears no relevance whatsoever in considering a potential partner. When dating before the era of the internet and dating sites, asking a woman her age wouldn't have been one of the first questions you asked!
It may sound a cliche but it is far more important that I get along and have a good connection with my partner rather than being concerned with any age difference.
Male
Timmee  Male  Hampshire 5-Dec-2016 11:34 Message #4668413
"Try being 60+ for lack of interest!"

You could go the other way of course - and put up profile piccie in a Brittany Spears outfit.

But seriously, it's the nature of the online beast: you have to wade through all the spam and the chancers to find any message of genuine interest. Sometimes you come across a friendly person and that's great - that's a starting point. If a couple of years either way is a deal-breaker then it's probably not a very good deal.

Regards & Best Wishes.
Male
Brundall  Male  Lincolnshire 5-Dec-2016 21:56 Message #4668464
Hi John
Like me at coming up to 78 shortly may be old but can still pull them but cannot remember what for !
Female
RAACH84  Female  Buckinghamshire 5-Dec-2016 23:47 Message #4668473
It's the luck of the draw whichever site you are on. You just never know.
Male
jpv1960  Male  Middlesex 6-Dec-2016 00:14 Message #4668474
I thought the age thing only applied to us men on dating sites!
Male
vanman  Male  Cambridgeshire 6-Dec-2016 00:30 Message #4668477
Brundall ...

"...can still pull them but cannot remember what for !"

To put the bins out, get the milk in, 'nd empty the dishwasher ! ;-}
Male
eatsleepshitrepeat  Male  Hertfordshire 6-Dec-2016 00:34 Message #4668478
mid 30s life,?
i dont think you look a day over 28,lol

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »