Conversation Dating and Relationships
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Love

tokens

1 2 Next >  Last >> 

Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 26-Nov-2016 11:56 Message #4667381
There's another thread about buying women flowers, so I wondered what little love tokens a woman could give to her man. Is there an equivalent of flowers for men? Or should women buy men flowers anyway? Boys toys always seem to be so expensive.

I did buy a man flowers for his birthday once. He wasn't a partner, but perhaps a potential love interest; he was the man who already had everything, and I couldn't think of anything else. I bought him a big bunch of lilies.

Sooo ... ... ...

Ladies, what little love token would you buy for your man.

Gents, what love token would you like to receive?

No rude suggestions now, as if!!!

For me, I think that the equivalent of receiving flowers would be to cook them a lovely dinner with all their favourite food.
Male
Argonaut  Male  Lancashire 26-Nov-2016 12:15 Message #4667384
Right now I'd settle for a nice warm female body cuddling up to me in bed -to help me recover from a severe bout of coughing I had yesterday and, subsequently, a poor night's sleep!

Jason.
Male
The Dim Reaper  Male  Devon 26-Nov-2016 12:30 Message #4667387
A job .
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 26-Nov-2016 12:32 Message #4667388
You're just an old romantic at heart, aren't you, Dim?
Female
alliez  Female  West Yorkshire 26-Nov-2016 12:35 Message #4667391
Not bought flowers for a man but have cooked meals and bought wine, meals out and special 'smellies', oh and as someone has a penchant for a certain colour of jelly baby I saved all of that colour from any bags I bought for a 'jokey' gift.
Male
brisinger  Male  Lancashire 26-Nov-2016 12:49 Message #4667396
I don't like being generic. I'd rather go for something where the thought counts. I think it's rather pointless taking someone out to something that they would find boring. I see it as a bit like giving flowers to a hayfever sufferer.

There's been plenty of free events, for instance, that I would be just as touched to be asked out to as paid for. I wouldn't see it as cheap-skating if some thought has been put into it. I would hate to go to something though if all the other person can do is sigh.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 26-Nov-2016 12:56 Message #4667398
Love tokens, I thought you were going to mean something you got from a slot machine, like those xmas saving stamps and token some shops do!

I bought Manthing a bunch of flowers once when he was unwell he said he woke up and saw them and thought he'd died.
Female
jennifer  Female  Gloucestershire 26-Nov-2016 13:14 Message #4667400
HaHa, WH!!!

I once bought a man an apron for him to use to BBQ ... it was specially personalised for him as he had described himself as "a domestic God". The apron had printed on it ... "Jakk .. a domestic God"!

It's still in my cupboard! I forget to take it with me on what was to be our last date! He told me on that date that he found me scary. He never saw me again and the apron remains with me, although he has been in touch several times saying that we should meet up again as he never did receive his pressie!!

Maybe I'll meet another Jakk who is a domestic God!
Female
Cassis  Female  Cambridgeshire 26-Nov-2016 13:58 Message #4667403
I bought my husband a blues harp and he bought me a mandolin - neither of us could play either but we would have liked to have been able to, and they were real love tokens as no one else knew of that secret longing.

He also wrote me a poem when I was about to have surgery - it was awful as literary ability isn't among his talents - but it was a real labour of love for a civil engineer who never read for pleasure.

Then one of my most special love tokens was from one of only 2 men I may have been in love with in my life (neither being my husbands). He gave me the pen knife his father had given him as a boy. He was American, and it's kind of a father-son bonding thing to give such a gift to the son when he about 10 y.o. Friends exclaimed,"He gave you a what?!!" thinking how they would have expected jewellery, perfume or whatever, but I knew it was his most treasured possession and irreplaceable to him.
Female
Andromeda  Female  Berkshire 26-Nov-2016 14:31 Message #4667406
I bought a boyfriend a barbeque complete with coals and tools but I still couldn't get him to cook anything.
Male
RumBassiousPenguin  Male  Essex 26-Nov-2016 14:55 Message #4667409
Ernie Balls Slinky Hybrids.

No, really.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 26-Nov-2016 18:03 Message #4667438
Ive been bought flowers. A little strange but nice all the same.
Male
The_Snow_Covered_Fool  Male  Cheshire 26-Nov-2016 19:33 Message #4667449
Little notes in me butty box.

Chris.
Male
OnlineMSE  Male  Essex 26-Nov-2016 20:54 Message #4667451
What sort, Dim?
A hand one. Presumably!!!
Lol

Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire 26-Nov-2016 21:28 Message #4667457
I bought my chap a little souvenir teddy bear dressed as a sailor when I went to Portsmouth earlier in the year. It was to keep his childhood Teddy company. They both seemed to like it.
Female
Lady  Female  North Yorkshire 26-Nov-2016 22:52 Message #4667471
I bought my husband a blues harp and he bought me a mandolin

My lovely fella bought me a mandolin once - I'd never had one before and he'd noticed I was quite taken with his, so he bought me one for my own use - I was very touched -
... it has several cutting, slicing & grating blades - a very useful addition to my kitchen utensils! :) :)
I rarely receive flowers from my fella but he has a knack of bringing me really useful stuff that he notices I don't have or may need - plus he remembers my favourite perfumes & toiletries. :)

For Him, I try to find different types of whisky or red wine I think he'd enjoy - or a new recipe book - or unusual foods & savoury snacks - or some of his favourite cheeses from my local deli - or something he needs but hasn't realised it yet!
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 26-Nov-2016 23:06 Message #4667477
Reading that made me feel quite envious, Lady.
Female
Lady  Female  North Yorkshire 26-Nov-2016 23:11 Message #4667479
Sorry, Minnie - you've asked me on a good day ... Ask either of us on a bad day & we'd probably think the other was a pita!
Female
joolsy  Female  Essex 26-Nov-2016 23:50 Message #4667487
I used to make me Wilson .. Lunch boxes with his favourite things and hide little notes in there two .. I remember when he was working at building the new Wembley stadium .. One of his work mates pinched one of his roast beef butties and stuck underneath was what I was going to do to him when he got in ... He got a right ribbing for weeks lol lol ... He also liked gadgets for his car so I used to surprise him with things like spanners and things ... He was a Manchester United supporter ... Anything man united and you was kissed to an inch of ya life lol lol he was so made up ... Wonderful memories
Male
Helper icon Helper
Chris2mates  Male  Lancashire 27-Nov-2016 17:12 Message #4667620
For blokes who have most of what they need, the best thing to buy is a memory.

I've been bought some lovely memories myself. A pair of cinema tickets, a chippy supper with a bottle of Dandelion & Burdock, a packet of old fashioned sweets from Ye Olde Sweet shop and one of the best was a voucher to fly an aeroplane for an hour. That was great fun!

It's not the amount of money spent, its the sense of fun behind the thought. Possessions sometimes get in the way but memories last for as long as you want them!
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 27-Nov-2016 17:23 Message #4667622
In the past I bought a male friend who didnt like cooking, a cookery book. And another who didnt like gardening, a gardening book. Neither appreciated them though
Male
dragonfever  Male  Warwickshire 27-Nov-2016 17:50 Message #4667631
Victoria you made me think, perception is a big part of gift giving. Thinking of what would be good/nice/useful for someone is the starting point, but if we don’t take care of how they will perceive it, it may fail.

Thinking of your books, when someone gets me a gift to help where I’m struggling. it’s really appreciated – but (with me) gardening is both hated and a raw nerve – so a gardening book would be perceived as saying “you’re never going to be as good as me” and would be a flop (I’m not good at painted smiles with those I’m close to).
Male
Eljer  Male  North London 27-Nov-2016 18:00 Message #4667634
Was looking for the cheepskate thread but cant find it, anyway, i turned up at a lady's birthday party and gave her 2 tokens, and in return, oh, not that you should give to recieve of course but in return she opened a massive jar of chocolate raisens and said smell them they are lovely then shut the lid, ive had that smell ever since, i think she should have at least gave me one before i left ;)
Female
shewolf  Female  Somerset 28-Nov-2016 16:55 Message #4667770
Hi mini when I went on holiday up north I found a present for the man who thinks he has everything it was a sheep skin belly button warmer went down with a giggle what better pressie can you give a man than the gift of laughter
Male
Mikejon  Male  Lincolnshire 22-Dec-2016 19:00 Message #4670253
There is no such thing as 'love' (in the context of MSE)! Always put use your head in front of your heart. The importance of this becomes very evident as you grow older and with the wisdom of old age.

1 2 Next >  Last >> 

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »