Conversation Dating and Relationships
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Not enough choice?

1 2 Next >  Last >> 

Male
A_man_called_CHIOG  Male  South East London 14-Nov-2016 07:25 Message #4665552
I'm told by my older friends that when they went to a dance, pub or club they would usually find no more than a dozen single girls looking to date and nearly always partnered up with one of these even if only for the one occasion.
Now they are online and have many thousands of girls to choose from including their photos and profiles but find it more difficult to date one. How does that make sense?
Male
Argonaut  Male  Lancashire 14-Nov-2016 08:37 Message #4665563
It makes perfect sense to me.

It's a case of "Limited Choice" or "Too Much Choice".

With the former comes limited information so half the intrigue was finding out about the other person presenting yourself as-is and taking them in the same vein.

The alternative is worrying about how to project yourself and knowing possibly too much about the choices available.

Sometimes, when I go on a small job I take a limited tool kit with me and if I come up against an unexpected problem then I have to make do with what I have to hand - other times, when I have my full tool kit I am spoilt for choice.

Jason.
Male
Pixalated  Male  East Anglia 14-Nov-2016 08:51 Message #4665566
Now 'we' check boxes lol
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 14-Nov-2016 09:20 Message #4665568
I agree with Pixalated to a degree, but it's like finding a needle in a haystack on the internet. Just finding someone not too far away, around the right age, good company, gentlemanly, and not after just a one night stand seems to be almost impossible.
Mind you, I have to be honest that I haven't used a proper dating site for years. I found it all a bit soul destroying last time around.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 14-Nov-2016 09:23 Message #4665570
oh, I forgot to state the obvious, that when us folks went out in the real world for dates, we were a lot younger, and I bet almost all of us were slimmer, fitter and better looking. Even old fogeys don't seem to want another old fogey. In their minds, they still believe that they will pick up a fit 25 year old. Perhaps that's just me being cynical. : - )
Male
OnlineMSE  Male  Essex 14-Nov-2016 09:27 Message #4665572
Amancalled_CHIOG 14-Nov-2016 07:25
How does that make sense?

Because the online matches can be "www" , as per the label, world, or at least country, wide.
So the pool of matches isn't going to be that different than your older friends at the pub or club, in fact it might be worse as very few, if any, will be in your local area.
Male
capnblackbeard  Male  Hertfordshire 14-Nov-2016 10:36 Message #4665582
hi choig

like internet shopping , you get to look and touch the real thing in real life, :)
Female
RAACH84  Female  Buckinghamshire 14-Nov-2016 12:50 Message #4665615
Maybe profiles create more difficulties and take away any spontaneity or mystery. If I see a nice looking guy across the room I don't wonder what his starsign is or try to calculate if his height is a half inch under or if he might be a year older than my preferences.
Male
capnblackbeard  Male  Hertfordshire 14-Nov-2016 16:59 Message #4665650
Aquarius and my name is Ralph
Now I like a woman who loves her freedom
And I like a woman who can hold her own
And if you fit that description, baby, come with me Take my hand, come with me, baby, to Love Land
:)
Female
RoseyCheeks  Female  Nottinghamshire 14-Nov-2016 18:19 Message #4665659
I think we're ignoring the immense power of alcohol here.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 14-Nov-2016 19:18 Message #4665672
lol Are you sure about that? Enough people seem to come on here and post whilst they are bevvied up.
Male
The_Snow_Covered_Fool  Male  Cheshire 14-Nov-2016 20:46 Message #4665681
" Now 'we' check boxes lol "

Every time I try that Pixalated I get a slap across the mush !

Chris.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 16-Nov-2016 20:54 Message #4666012
Hi Jefferson,

I get where you are coming from but I have another angle on Internet "dating", and I think Internet dating involves more pressure not less.

The reason?

If someone is going down to the pub or any social event, when you meet someone it is unlikely both parties have gone wit the direct intention of eyeing an individual up and down as a possible "the one". Ok, some mentalities might do, but most just rub shoulders with strangers and something happens and a conversation is stuck up by chance.

In Internet dating, there appears to be an assumption that "I will know him/her when I see her" and meet one to one with the pressure of are they "it" or not. The pressure here is, are they tall enough, petite enough, blonde enough, smoke, don't smoke, shoes right, talk right etc etc. Not that many meet to date and see each other again if pre set expectations are not met.

In my experience I have insisted on not "dating" so I have been extremely fortunate to meet men who were happy to pass the time with me without me being "the one" so I didn't have to have the right eyes, the right height etc etc. In my view, this seems to have panned out that only the non-judgemental men have been prepared to spend time with me, since I have been honest with myself knowing not "ready" to be in a relationship. There has been a couple not listened, one insisting I was deceptive in some way.

The positive side to my experience is I did "somemany", made a lot of friends, and out of the many came the one. (If that makes any sense).
Male
capnblackbeard  Male  Hertfordshire 16-Nov-2016 21:49 Message #4666015
excellent lyn :)

Female
coffeelover  Female  Norfolk 17-Nov-2016 07:18 Message #4666031
Getting fed up with minimal responses, not helping my self-esteem! I recently added the following to my profile on a dating site -

Below is my original profile however I thought that I would add some further reality :-
I am a well educated, BA/MA, intelligent, well presented, independent woman of 57 ... I enjoy the finer things in life and am always open to challenge. However, the reality is I dye my hair to cover the looming grey, I go to fat club, not all my teeth are my own and I can no longer do arduous beach walks without having several stops at local hostilarlies in order to keep my joints supple, OK that's a slight exaggeration, however on that note I find that I can no longer participate in the sofa aerobics of my youth, (far too cramped space)... Despite the normal age related changes, I am passionate being lively and active in mind and body.
If you are interested in meeting a real person get in touch.

I did a couple of comments stating it was humerous, it didn't however generate any more dates ...
Male
vanman  Male  Cambridgeshire 17-Nov-2016 07:50 Message #4666032
coffeelover ...

"not all my teeth are my own"

Who's are they then ??

;-}
Female
coffeelover  Female  Norfolk 17-Nov-2016 08:02 Message #4666035
Ha ha. Obviously I meant not the originals... trust you to point that out!, geez what an image it conquers.
Female
coffeelover  Female  Norfolk 17-Nov-2016 08:34 Message #4666046
...did you never get hot and saucy on the sofa ?
Female
coffeelover  Female  Norfolk 17-Nov-2016 08:35 Message #4666048
I have to say my full and original prose followed which is more serious.
Female
coffeelover  Female  Norfolk 17-Nov-2016 08:37 Message #4666049
Profile even...
Male
capnblackbeard  Male  Hertfordshire 17-Nov-2016 08:40 Message #4666051
yes cl, it was piri piri sauce ;)
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 17-Nov-2016 12:50 Message #4666115
Actually Lyn, I've known quite a few women who do exactly that, go to the pub or club in the hope of meeting "the one", any time one of their friends either male or female shows an interest in someone they start up with the romantic twaddle. Then comes the bitchyness where they decide "he's not right for you" accompanied by lots of wuthering, the agenda behind this, is your refusal to play their Cinderella games and that they actually want you to be single, they want you to be emotionally stuck right along side them. They hate the people who have groups of friends and pair up within those groups, it threatens their fantasy, the internet is a place where all fantasy's can be made real. I've had enough of people trying to shove me inside a fantasy and being supprised when they find I'm not quite the fantasy they hoped for. The other thing thats recently taken over are things like "the rules", all these alleged self help guru's who are trying to make money out of peoples unhappiness and uncertainty and sometimes their curiosity. I think these people come into the catagory as those I mentioned at the begining of my post.

Don't forget too that people in the US where much of this stuff comes from choose partners for very different reasons than we do here. The dating site that said it matched on likes and dislikes with its special algorithms has to re-write them for Britain as they just didn't work here, many of the questions that were important in the US were meaningless to many in this country.
Female
coffeelover  Female  Norfolk 17-Nov-2016 21:00 Message #4666211
Piri piri sauce, sweeps...? Well I have heard about spicing up your sexy life with food...wondering where you put that could be a very hot!,,
Female
sandy_sw  Female  Devon 18-Nov-2016 21:28 Message #4666349
I started off thinking there is too much choice online. In reality that's not the case, because there are too many not suitable, or not a good match. ( Which applies both ways of course). It's the sheer number of people online, after all in a bar I would think it unlikely that would be 50 + people vying for attention.

I agree with coffelover about the self esteem issue, perhaps it's time for a 'How to grow a thicker skin class', rather than yoga!
Female
coffeelover  Female  Norfolk 18-Nov-2016 21:37 Message #4666351
Well it only temporarily knocks mine, pretty confident here otherwise I could never hVe posted the ' honesty' bit.

1 2 Next >  Last >> 

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »