Conversation Religion and Spirituality
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Working with the

Elements

Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 29-Sep-2016 11:40 Message #4657414
I love working with and being with the elements, they all have associations, animals moods and seasons.

The East
The Eagle of the dawn, air, clear sighted, focussed and incisive, pale yellow, the spring. New beginings, growth.

The South
The Lion of the midday sun, fire, proud and passionate, determined, red, the summer, the energy to see projects through to completion.

The West
The Great Sea Creatures, whales, dolphins, Orcas, compassion, love, romance, healing, water, blue/green. Autumn and the completion and harvesting of what you've sown.

The North
The Great Bear who sits under the world tree, winter, midnight blue, steadfasteness and courage, the fortitude to stand against the winds of fate and the coldest months when nothing seems to growing. Living from what you've stored whether it be food or wisdom.

Do any of you recognise these as forces in your lives, outside of what the weathers doing? Do you see seasons in your life?
Male
capnblackbeard  Male  Hertfordshire 29-Sep-2016 14:46 Message #4657432
i see bits of me in south west and north if thats possible??
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 29-Sep-2016 18:48 Message #4657462
Of course it's possible seeing as you're feeling it, but what about the east Sweep?
Female
linxie  Female  Gloucestershire 29-Sep-2016 20:42 Message #4657478
yay...think we have to recognise these elements exist and play a part in our lives. Guess it's how we interpret them.
I'm oft out with the dogs and nature - and naturally bring nature into my garden and home.
I don't oft talk of the deep connection I have with the seen and unseen worlds but it's my way of life and helps me in those I serve. I love the changing seasons and am always ready for one season to come in as one ends...it's just the way I am ;-) xx
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 29-Sep-2016 21:46 Message #4657490
I can connect with all those elements especially south and north.

I too, love the changing seasons. I really love the rain - it always seems to be feeding everything around me. And eventually thru my veggie garden, it feeds me and its all natural.

I love to be alone over the fields and in the woods, I can be with nature there.

When I am over there alone, and out of view,of anyone or any properties or roads, I get the feeling of being surrounded by a sort of warmth and comfort. Am I a bit weird ? I wouldnt usually tell anyone this.

I have the need to go there everyday, even though its quite a trek
Female
joolsy  Female  Essex 30-Sep-2016 00:55 Message #4657508
Vi I love the woods too ... The lane that runs by the side of my house leads to the woods ... I love walking there when it rains .. My daughter thinks I'm crazy ... I love the smell and the quietness .. And I never get wet the trees shelter me lol ... I sometimes when I can't sleep sit in my garden watching the hedgehogs .. Badgers .. And the baby deers who like the berries on my bushes ... I love all the seasons .. My favs are spring and Autumn ... I love the sunshine .. But I'm loving the cool rain and breeze as I feel so much better when I'm cool x
Male
capnblackbeard  Male  Hertfordshire 30-Sep-2016 10:27 Message #4657561
no hen im not really feeling the south atm,
im not as clear sighted, focussed as i usually am :(
Male
capnblackbeard  Male  Hertfordshire 30-Sep-2016 10:28 Message #4657562
that should have been east not south, i got south on the brain atm,lol
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 30-Sep-2016 10:34 Message #4657564
I'm a north and west person, I feel it physically somehow, I don't like being in the south or east of the country, the skies all wrong and the lights to bright somehow. I like wild and rugged, I like the softer light, I love the light of the far north in winter, the way things stand oout more. I love the sea and the birds who live on the coast. I like the way that small islands look like they've sailed up an parked. I like trees and stop and say hello to a young oak tree where I walk the dogs, its conker season now and every year I collect them like treasure.
Male
capnblackbeard  Male  Hertfordshire 30-Sep-2016 10:47 Message #4657568
I like the way that small islands look like they've sailed up an parked.

i like the way you have described that hen, conjures up certain images for me :)
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 2-Oct-2016 11:14 Message #4657926
Many Eastern traditions such as Feng Shiu have different meaning for the different directions, for example the south being water instead of fire as it is here. This is possibly because their largest body of water, the South China Sea, is to the south, whereas we have the Atlantic to the west, do you think elemental workings should be changed to suit local traditions and energies?
Female
hannah  Female  South East London 19-Nov-2017 07:39 Message #4705797
"do you think elemental workings should be changed to suit local traditions and energies?"

yes i do think that WH... it has to be relevant to the people. To do otherwise brings to mind the pointless practice of teaching emancipated slaves in Jamaica being taught about snow and other weather systems relevant to the uk and not to Jamaica...

I found the OP particularly interesting because when i was having that Shamanic healing, the Shaman was getting me to step towards each of the four directions in turn but i found i could only step North. Then as i was standing there atop Silbury Hill (in the guided journey), facing hard North, i was turned very slightly to the West... (NNW direction)... Your descriptions of North and West fit perfik for me...
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 23-Nov-2017 12:27 Message #4706204
Thats interesting hannah, when I was teaching the uni pagan newbies about casting a circle, about the directions and the energies, I got them to visualise it all with me then go and sit in the quarter they felt most drawn too and take a few minutes to concentrate on why they felt drawn there. What was most interesting was later I got them to swap directions and sit in the opposite quarter and do the same, it seemed to be a powerful experience for most of them and it seemed to help them see the elements as allies not opositional enemies.

Silbury Hill, the great earth pudding, I know it well and the rest of the Avebury complex. I love it when its lightly dusted with snow like a xmas pudding with icing sugar on top.
Female
hannah  Female  South East London 23-Nov-2017 15:25 Message #4706212
Yes that is very interesting Wonderous... maybe I'll try a SSE visualization. When i was atop Silbury (in the visualization), i had no choice. I literally couldn't step in any other direction. Knowing now what you shared in the OP has helped make sense of a few things.

Inwas always drawn to it, but since that healing, i see Silbury as a very powerful place. I'm sure it has something to do with the journies taken by the dead, but I'm not quite clear on the details yet.

I love it too. Inside is where my power animal met me and advised me. The healing was so subtle and so powerful. I was , in the past, almost tempted to move to Swindon to be near her but Swindon looks so awful. Besides, my family still need me close so I just visit occassionally. Can't believe it's been 10 years since my last visit! Actually, I'm thinking now that i'll try that SSE visualization on 22nd Dec, see what happens :)

Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 23-Nov-2017 19:33 Message #4706237
Swindons a bit of a dump, but not as bad as people often imagine, its a normal British town thats largely where people go to work rather than aspiring to live, but it does have some amazing places nearby, not just Avebury, but Uffington White Horse and the Rollright Stones too.
Male
Eljer  Male  North London 23-Nov-2017 19:46 Message #4706242
I remember when i used to go to stonehenge a few nights before the summer soltice, i used to be drawn to a group of hippies chewing on those little mushrooms, it was magical 8-)).. i didnt do the winter soltice, because i was drawn to the winter fishing down west with the beautiful sunsets :))
Male
Nigel_In_Devon  Male  Devon 23-Nov-2017 21:00 Message #4706249
I quite enjoyed living in Swindon. One of my eldest's favourite places was West Kennet Longbarrow. Not been there for some years.
Male
Jeff  Male  East Sussex 24-Nov-2017 13:28 Message #4706290
Even if WH doesn't unblock me, nor look at the webpage when logged out, perhaps someone else can answer my questions:-

"the elements, they all have associations ... The East The Eagle of the dawn, air, clear sighted, focussed and incisive, pale yellow, the spring. New beginings, growth. The South ... The West ... The North ..."

Do other people (say in the UK) who have such mental associations all think of the same things?

I thought that east/south/west/north were directions. In what way are they "elements"?

Even the "Spring Wolf's Pagan's Path Witchcraft and Shamanism" website http://paganspath.com/magik/elementals.htm calls east/south/west/north "Cardinal Directions", and it calls Air/Water/Fire/Earth the elements. Why did ancient Greek aether disappear? Surely not from science such as the Michelson–Morley experiment! Or the Hindu 5th element of Space (aakash)? Ot Tao's elements Wood/Earth/Water/Fire/Metal?

What are the mental associations of north-east, and north-north-east etc?

East/south/west/north are relative to some place, e.g. East of Gwynedd. (Except North/South of the North/South Pole.) But, for example, Swindon is roughly West of Reading, East of Bristol, North of Bournemouth and South of Sheffield - so should Swindon have the characteristics of all of West, East, North and South? Even "I don't like being in the south or east of the country" is relative to the country (whichever country is meant). Most countries join other countries as continents which also join, so for example instead of disliking being in the east of France, should one dislike being in the east of Europe or even the east of Asia?

As the Earth is roughly spherical, if one continues East from place A then one going far enough one arrives at place B which is West of place A. Does B have the characteristics of East or West?

"Many Eastern traditions such as Feng Shiu have different meaning for the different directions"
Different Feng Shui books contradict each other, and even the same book contradicts itself, so how should we arrange our homes? For example, see thread "Pro Feng Shui Con F'shuing" http://www.midsummerseve.com/fora/thread.aspx?threadid=176181&page=1

"do you think elemental workings should be changed to suit local traditions and energies?"
Good question. If one person travels to far countries, should that person change their mental associations?
Male
Jeff  Male  East Sussex 24-Nov-2017 17:12 Message #4706299
"The Eagle of the dawn"
Why an eagle? The early bird catches the worm, but the early worm is caught by the bird.

"The Lion of the midday sun, fire, proud ... the energy to see projects through to completion"
Doesn't a proud, sorry pride, of lions often lack energy and so rest in the midday sun?

"The Great Sea Creatures, whales, dolphins, Orcas, compassion, love, romance, healing"
Are sharks a good symbol of love and healing?

"Do any of you recognise these as forces in your lives, outside of what the weathers doing? Do you see seasons in your life?"

They aren't forces in my life. One of the forces in my life is trying to understand how the universe works, and the directions or the "elements" of this thread are no help.
My main season is getting older with thyme.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »