Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Eating in the street

1 2 3 4 5 Next >  Last >> 

Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 7-Aug-2015 08:58 Message #4581417
There seems to be more and more people eating and drinking coffee in the streets with expensive takeaway snacks. Why don't they make their own sandwiches at home and carry a small flask for a few pence?
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 7-Aug-2015 09:00 Message #4581419
You'll be suggesting that they go to wetherspoons for chicken and chips for a quid next.
Female
PollyValentiniusPoppy  Female  Worcestershire 7-Aug-2015 09:11 Message #4581421
Sign of the times, I'm afraid. I know people who actually go out to buy sarnies even though they have the necessary ingredients in the fridge/cupboard.

I prefer to make my own cos I can't be doing with that yukky mayo they use to bulk out the filling.

Years ago, a cheese and onion sarnie was made from proper ingredients, ie real cheese and proper onion, nowadays it's that awful processed spread.

Polly
X
Male
vanman  Male  Cambridgeshire 7-Aug-2015 09:21 Message #4581423
Bugga Minnie, that's a bit posh, chicken n chips in a Wetherspoons fer a quid.

When you can get a Maccy D burger, from the 'saver menu' fer 99p
Male
Pixalated  Male  East Anglia 7-Aug-2015 10:05 Message #4581433
"Why don't they make their own sandwiches at home and carry a small flask for a few pence? "

Its called personal choice some like to "splash the cash"?
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 7-Aug-2015 10:11 Message #4581434
I think eating in the street is tasteless unless wearing a Kiss Me Quick hat in Blackpool.

Maybe the exception is a cornish pastie on the seafront in Cornwall if you don't mind a certain topping.
Female
Blue-Poppy  Female  East Yorkshire 7-Aug-2015 10:23 Message #4581440
From a personal point of view I think it is disgusting. See people walking around eating pastries out of bags, burgers and even chips covered in mushy peas or curry sauce. Ugh!! Never used to happen, folk went home to eat. I was only ever allowed to eat an ice-cream in the street but now its anything goes.

Like to make my own sandwiches and always carry a drink - secreted in my bag. I realise it's personal choice but it's an odd world.
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire 7-Aug-2015 13:07 Message #4581468
Discreetly eating in public is ok but having an oversied burger or sloppy sandwich running over your chin, especailly when walking, can look disgusting. People have too much money these days!
Male
AndyMacG  Male  the West Midlands 7-Aug-2015 13:30 Message #4581475
Nothing wrong with a big fat burger when you are stood along the harbour wall in Whitby just watch out for the seagulls ;-) lol

When you think about it i bet 80% of shops along a sea front or coastal town are food takeaway shops of some kind or another, i would also imagine that in these places eating in the street was the norm!

Andy Mac
Male
badman  Male  Suffolk 7-Aug-2015 13:42 Message #4581477
Think of all the fast food outlets that would go out of business if people started making their own sandwiches.

Do you want that on your conscience?
Female
nellieredshoes  Female  West Yorkshire 7-Aug-2015 13:49 Message #4581480
It is a sign of the times.

In the Dark Ages when I was a lass, we were not allowed to eat in school uniform (very unladylike). There were very few places other than a fish and chip shop, a bakery or a confectioners though where you could buy anything to eat outside .

Now it is a part of the culture. There are shops which sell a wide range of things to eat and drink outside and whilst the higher echelons of society would probably still frown on it it has become both easier and more socially accepted.

I have no objection to people buying food to eat outside or to others making their own food to eat outside; each to their own.

I do object however to the throwing away of left over food and litter in the streets. People seem to have no respect for their environment. I have not travelled widely but it is noticeable how much cleaner the other countries I have been to are than the UK. People still eat in the streets but discard any rubbish safely and cleanly.
Male
AndyMacG  Male  the West Midlands 7-Aug-2015 14:00 Message #4581482
Like you nellieredshoes i hate to see litter dumped as well, only this morning at the local shop i saw a guy open his car door and dump his pork pie wrapper on the floor and yet at the other side of his car was a rubbish bin, i pipped my horn and told him as well, it nearly turned nasty but when he saw me taking his car number he just drove off but what can you do?

Someone keeps dumping rubbish in our street outside where i live, i think its the young lad over the road and i'll tell him as well when i catch him, i mean we have to live here, him as well!

Andy Mac
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 7-Aug-2015 14:15 Message #4581484
When I was at school (posh school) there were very strict penalties for eating in public, even a sweet was not allowed. So I guess old habits die hard. I never eat in the street even now , altho maybe an ice cream at one of the County Shows. Occasionally, I like a Mcdon but I either eat it in the restaurant or in my car (in secret) lol
Female
nellieredshoes  Female  West Yorkshire 7-Aug-2015 14:24 Message #4581485
Sounds my sort of school Vic. Unfortunately I'm not nearly as posh as my old school and will eat in the street without any compunction.

Female
RAACH84  Female  Buckinghamshire 7-Aug-2015 15:37 Message #4581501
I don't eat in the street and I don't allow my children to eat in the street other than the occasional sweet or ice cream. No particular reason but I think it looks impolite and doesn't seem right somehow.
I can't understand why anyone would spend so much money in any case when as someone said making your own costs a few pence. If I had a coffee, bought my girls a drink each and we had sandwiches I think it would cost about £12 per day. I always take food from home and sometimes a hot flask and a cold flask and we go to the towns parks, nature reserves and the days during the school holidays cost almost nothing.
I recently bought a picnic hamper from a charity shop for £10.00 and it's fantastic and the girls love picnics as most children do.
Male
badman  Male  Suffolk 7-Aug-2015 15:53 Message #4581503
I eat and drink where I want to.

Because I'm over 21 and I live in a free country.

What's the difference between sitting in a restaurant eating with people seeing you eat behind glass and sitting outside eating at a table on the pavement?

Oh yes, of course, it's the glass barrier.

What utter tosh.
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire 7-Aug-2015 16:02 Message #4581504
I think most of us eat and drink outside sitting at a table or even sitting on a bench but I think most who aren't keen are talking about something like a big burger being scoffed while walking down the High street lol.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 7-Aug-2015 19:00 Message #4581545
I sometimes eat a sandwich in my car!!!

Like Badders I can't see the difference either, it seems a very British thing to me all this not eating in the street, why are picnics OK, but not sitting or standing in the street. I wish there were more litter bins, I often want to use one and can't find one so I end up carting half a bag of rubbish around with me.
Male
capnblackbeard  Male  Hertfordshire 7-Aug-2015 20:23 Message #4581562
either people have a lot of time on thier hands or they havent been hungry,
when you have a busy life you grab what you can when you can, lol
Female
Bo-nio  Female  Cheshire 7-Aug-2015 22:05 Message #4581619
I just don't like/ can't eat and walk about at the same time. Hate it- it's like I'm not tasting the food.

No problem sitting outside and eating: like on the prom, beach, picnics and pavement cafes and bars.
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside 7-Aug-2015 22:41 Message #4581624
I agree with badman, lol
I never mean to eat in the street but sometimes I just need to cos I.m piggin starving!
I don't eat bananas in the street after comments that made me choke on one from some workmen.lol
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 8-Aug-2015 09:38 Message #4581699
Well put Bo-nio

That's the difference. Sitting at a table in a recognised spot or a place to pic-nic, a seafront on a special occasion, but walking and chomping out of a paper bag is and looks disgusting.

Yes, Badman it's a "free" country, but sadly, too many are so free that they screw up the rest of the population. That's why they had to try to stop passive smoking in pubs and restaurants, because smokers thought in their free country they could impose their choices on others. It's the same now with the rubbish on the streets that is the consequence of that culture in England in particular.

I don't think we are "free" unless completely selfish to what impacts on the lives of others.
Another example is imposing blaring loud music from a car with open windows, or a house, or a beach etc. to the point where those choices impact the choices of others not to listen.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 8-Aug-2015 09:42 Message #4581703
Hmm, plonk a few tables and chairs on the pavement, call it al fresco and suddenly it's OK...
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 8-Aug-2015 09:43 Message #4581705
Manonfire,

That's part of the problem as I see it. No one knows how to wait anymore. It's the instant gratification culture too. Kids are not being trained to even think eating together is special anymore so standing gulping down some fatty, slimy pink meat out of a paper bag, like a dog out of it's food bowl is not a pretty site.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 8-Aug-2015 09:45 Message #4581707
Yes, Hierophant, because it's knives and forks and napkins. Chatter, and looking across the table into someone's eyes.

1 2 3 4 5 Next >  Last >> 

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »