Conversation Society, News and Sport
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , Magic Mike , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Euthanasia

An interesting article

Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 9-Jan-2014 10:05 Message #4452358
I found this very interesting. I didn't even know Belgium had had a euthanasia bill passed.

This may have been discussed previously, I don't know.

Link to follow for anyone who's interested.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 9-Jan-2014 10:05 Message #4452359
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25651758
Female
lucyjordan  Female  Tyne and Wear 9-Jan-2014 10:25 Message #4452365
I find it difficult to understand this, first they say

children must understand what euthanasia is, and their parents and medical teams have to approve the child's request to die.

Then the article goes on to say;-

In the Netherlands, Belgium's northern neighbour, euthanasia is legal for children over the age of 12, if they have the consent of their parents. But if the Belgian bill is passed in the lower house of parliament, Belgium will be the first nation in the world to lift all age restrictions

I really find it difficult to believe that a child below the age of 10 would truly comprehend the full meaning of both death and euthanasia.

I believe adults should have the right to decide how their lives will end, and i dont beleive that parents should have the only say in how a childs life ends, but neither do i believe that a child is capabe of making such a deciion, even if it has to have the consent of its parents and medical advisors.

An awful situation to be in, and not one i would wish to experience myself.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 9-Jan-2014 10:35 Message #4452368
It is a strange one, but I guess that if a childs terminally ill and has been in and out of hospital for a long time, then they may decide enoughs enough, maybe not a younger child, but a slightly older one maybe?

I wish we'd have a simialr bill here, although having it involve anyone under 18 would inevitably cause outcry.
Male
Argonaut  Male  Lancashire 9-Jan-2014 12:04 Message #4452392
The way I look at it is this:

What right has any person to force another person to continue enduring pain and/or incapacity when the sufferer wishes for a dignified ending.

Young children may not fully understand what death is but they will certainly have an in-depth knowledge of how they're not coping with their infliction and if they wish to elect for euthanasia then it's not as if 'they'll live to regret it' is it?

However, they may live to regret not opting for euthanasia!

Jason.
Male
Soul-Provider  Male  Hampshire 9-Jan-2014 22:22 Message #4452514
I cannot see why it is seen as unlawful,at end of the day,if a person wishes to end their life,so be it,they are not hurting anyone ,may be a need for some regulation,to see if they,(those wanting euthanasia) have something that warrants it,like terminal illness,
Female
Nottingham_Princess  Female  Nottinghamshire 10-Jan-2014 22:22 Message #4452758
Go to a search engine and type in 'Dignitas' it's the place in Zurich, Switzland where people go to end their life.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »