Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , Magic Mike , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Lydney, Gloucestershire

Anyone Know the Area?

Female
abszaz  Female  West Yorkshire 18-Dec-2013 14:30 Message #4446042
Am trying to find affordable housing to buy near Bristol...
Have seen properties on the internet in Lydney, and just wondered if anyone knew the area?

Interested in good transport links/leisure and social/community ...and above all 'safety',(crime etc.)

Other areas and suggestions welcomed!
Male
Gsee  Male  Gloucestershire 18-Dec-2013 22:06 Message #4446179
Hi Abszaz,

Yes I know Lydney, I live about 4 miles away.

Transport, it has it's own rail station and quite a few buses but none that go to Chepstow. There is a good sports centre, indoor and outdoor swimming pools, and a happy community. Not so sure about the social activities I guess that depends what you're interested in.
I would rate the area as very safe.

You say you're interested "near Bristol", though I can make Bristol centre in just over 30 minutes (traffic allowing) there is the toll to pay on the M48 Severn Bridge return journey.

Other areas, Thornbury is a similar size town with the added advantage (if you want Bristol) of being on the other side of the river. The disadvantage, it's not on the edge of the beautiful Forest of Dean ;o)

If you have any specific questions I would be happy to find you some answers, either through here or PM me.

Best wishes, G.
Male
Jerry8622  Male  Gloucestershire 23-Dec-2013 15:51 Message #4447667
Hi there, I moved to the area a year and a half ago...really nice place to live, low crime, you can be near the town or very rural / forest. Chepstow is not far away by car, Gloucester a bit further but has all the shops etc.
Not the best if you are commuting to Bristol for work...bridge toll charges and bristol traffic to contend with. That said, Lydney and surrounding area brings that certain quality of life.

Hope that helps;

Jerry

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »