Conversation Religion and Spirituality
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Quizzes on bible

around Easter

1 2 3 4 Next >  Last >> 

Male
Jeff  Male  East Sussex 27-Mar-2013 12:20 Message #4326013
I'd like to set a few quizzes this week, based on what the bible says about the events around Easter.

Every entry, correct or not, is guaranteed to win one of the following prizes: (a) A sports car, (b) A luxury yacht, (c) A country cottage, (d) £10 million for yourself or donated to a charity of your choice, (e) Nothing.

1. What animal or animals did Jesus ride going to Jerusalem?

2. When did Jesus cleanse the Temple?

3. Before entering Jerusalem, Jesus cursed a fig tree because it didn't have any fruit for him and his disciples to eat. Was this a good thing for Jesus to do?

4. When did the disciples see the Jesus's curse had caused the fig tree to wither?

5. In Passion Week, where was the house that Jesus was anointed with oil?

6. Who annointed Jesus with oil?

7. On what part of Jesus's body was he annointed with oil?
Male
Kisses after midnight  Male  Lothian 27-Mar-2013 13:37 Message #4326036
Poor fig tree - it couldn't help it if some other daytrippers had got to it first, could it?
Male
Jeff  Male  East Sussex 27-Mar-2013 13:38 Message #4326037
Gitana,
I'll give the answers in due course. Then you can produce scratch cards.

SWIM,
I don't think you're completely right. Can you please give the bible book, chapter and verse where you obtained those answers?
Anyway, for entering, you have won one of the prizes, and it is already on its way to you. I won't reveal what it is.
Was it God who changed your name from Scooble?
Male
Jeff  Male  East Sussex 27-Mar-2013 13:45 Message #4326047
The fig tree having no fruit wasn't because of other daytrippers.
Mark 11:12-13 says "The next day as they were leaving Bethany, Jesus was hungry. Seeing in the distance a fig tree in leaf, he went to find out if it had any fruit. When he reached it, he found nothing but leaves, because it was not the season for figs."
Maybe Jesus should have cursed the seasons rather than the fig tree.
Or God should have told him where to get some other food.
Male
Kisses after midnight  Male  Lothian 27-Mar-2013 13:49 Message #4326050
Thanks for clarifying, Jeff (-: I guess he could be forgiven for cursing so much if he was really hungry ...
Male
Jeff  Male  East Sussex 27-Mar-2013 14:08 Message #4326061
But he didn't curse to himself, like "sod it". He cursed the tree. The story continues:-
Mark 11:14-15 "Then he [Jesus] said to the tree, “May no one ever eat fruit from you again.” And his disciples heard him say it."

If on one occasion out of season, Jesus can't have any figs from a certain tree, why should anyone else ever eat from that tree in future?
As he could change water into wine, why didn't he change a few blades of grass into figs?
Male
Jeff  Male  East Sussex 28-Mar-2013 21:35 Message #4327037
I am now adding £100,000 cash to prizes (a), (b), (c) and (d).

Spot the differences in these answers from the bible. The bible has numerous self-contradictions, and Christian apologists make extremely contorted arguments to say that there are no self-contradictions in the bible. So here I usually won't say that answers involve self-contradictions. You may be interested enough to research further.

Answers to 1st quiz:-

1. What animal or animals did Jesus ride going to Jerusalem?

1a. Mark 11:7 "When they [two disciples following Jesus's instructions] brought the colt to Jesus and threw their cloaks over it, he sat on it." (Similarly Luke 19:35.) (A colt is a male horse, usually below the age of four.)

1b. Matthew 21:7 "They [two disciples following Jesus's instructions] brought the donkey and the colt and placed their cloaks on them for Jesus to sit on."

1c. John 12:14-15 "Jesus found a young donkey and sat on it, as it is written: “Do not be afraid, Daughter Zion; see, your king is coming, seated on a donkey’s colt.”"
(Many "prophesies" about Jesus pervert the context (examples on request). This one refers to Zechariah 9:9, but that refers to a military king. Jesus merged it with Isaiah 62:11.)

(Continued)
Male
Jeff  Male  East Sussex 28-Mar-2013 21:44 Message #4327047
2. When did Jesus cleanse the Temple?

2a. Mark 11:15 "Jesus entered Jerusalem and went into the temple courts. He looked around at everything, but since it was already late, he went out to Bethany with the Twelve. The next day as they were leaving Bethany, Jesus was hungry. ... On reaching Jerusalem, Jesus entered the temple courts and began driving out those who were buying and selling there. He overturned the tables of the money changers and the benches of those selling doves,".
This was the day after Jesus arrived at Jerusalem to great celebration.

2b. Matthew 21:10-17 "When Jesus entered Jerusalem, the whole city was stirred and asked, “Who is this?” The crowds answered, “This is Jesus, the prophet from Nazareth in Galilee.” Jesus entered the temple courts and drove out all who were buying and selling there. He overturned the tables of the money changers and the benches of those selling doves. “It is written,” he said to them, “?‘My house will be called a house of prayer,’ but you are making it ‘a den of robbers.’” ... And he left them [a crowd] and went out of the city to Bethany, where he spent the night.
This suggests the same day as Jesus arrived at Jerusalem to great celebration.
The "house of prayer" refers to Isaiah 13:7, but that same verse mentions to "burnt offerings and sacrifices" (of animals) - Jesus didn't mention that. The "den of robbers" refers to Jeremiah 7:11, and, because of that, in Jeremiah 7:20 the all-just all-merciful God says "My anger and my wrath will be poured out on this place—on man and beast, on the trees of the field and on the crops of your land—and it will burn and not be quenched", punishing the innocent too, as usual - Jesus didn't mention that.
Similarly Luke 19:38-46

2c. John 2:13-16 "What Jesus did here in Cana of Galilee was the first of the signs through which he revealed his glory; and his disciples believed in him. After this he went down to Capernaum with his mother and brothers and his disciples. There they stayed for a few days. When it was almost time for the Jewish Passover, Jesus went up to Jerusalem. In the temple courts he found people selling cattle, sheep and doves, and others sitting at tables exchanging money. So he made a whip out of cords, and drove all from the temple courts, both sheep and cattle; he scattered the coins of the money changers and overturned their tables. To those who sold doves he said, “Get these out of here! Stop turning my Father’s house into a market!”"
This is near the start of Jesus's career, whereas Passion week is near the crucifixion.

3. ... Jesus cursed a fig tree ... Was this a good thing for Jesus to do?
You can think that out for yourself.
Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary says "He made this fig-tree an example, not to the trees, but to the men of that generation. It was a figure of the doom upon the Jewish church, to which he came seeking fruit, but found none." But Jesus didn't say that.
Other commentators have given other symbolic meanings.
Anything that a divine messenger does that seems bad has a symbolic meaning. - does that technique seem familiar?!

(Continued)
Male
Jeff  Male  East Sussex 28-Mar-2013 21:49 Message #4327052
4. When did the disciples see the Jesus's curse had caused the fig tree to wither?

4a. Matthew 21:19-22 "Seeing a fig tree by the road, he [Jesus] went up to it but found nothing on it except leaves. Then he said to it, “May you never bear fruit again!” Immediately the tree withered. When the disciples saw this, they were amazed. “How did the fig tree wither so quickly?” they asked. Jesus replied, “Truly I tell you, if you have faith and do not doubt, not only can you do what was done to the fig tree, but also you can say to this mountain, ‘Go, throw yourself into the sea,’ and it will be done. If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer.”
These last two sentences are lies by Jesus.

4b. Mark 11:14-21 "Then he [Jesus] said to the tree, “May no one ever eat fruit from you again.” And his disciples heard him say it. On reaching Jerusalem, Jesus entered the temple courts ... When evening came, Jesus and his disciples went out of the city. In the morning [i.e. the next day], as they went along, they saw the fig tree withered from the roots. Peter remembered and said to Jesus, “Rabbi, look! The fig tree you cursed has withered!” “Have faith in God,” Jesus answered. “Truly I tell you, if anyone says to this mountain, ‘Go, throw yourself into the sea,’ and does not doubt in their heart but believes that what they say will happen, it will be done for them. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours."
Repeating those lies.

(Continued)
Male
Jeff  Male  East Sussex 28-Mar-2013 21:56 Message #4327063
5. In Passion Week, where was the house that Jesus was anointed with oil?

Bethany.

6. Who annointed Jesus with oil?

A woman named Mary, (although she was not named in Mark & Luke gospels.)
John gospel says that she was the sister of Martha and Lazarus (whom Jesus previously raised from the dead).
Luke gospel says this unnamed woman "lived a sinful life".
In 591AD Pope Gregory I said that this Mary was Mary Magdalene, (although the bible doesn't say that) and was the same woman who was going to be stoned for adultery (John 8:3-11, although the bible doesn't say that). Mary Magdalene had a bad reputation for many centuries. In 1969 Pope Paul VI said they were 3 separate women.

7. On what part of Jesus's body was he annointed with oil?

7a. Mark 14:3 "While he [Jesus] was in Bethany, reclining at the table in the home of Simon the Leper, a woman came with an alabaster jar of very expensive perfume, made of pure nard. She broke the jar and poured the perfume on his head". (Similarly Matthew 26:6-7.)

7b. John 11:1-2 "Now a man named Lazarus was sick. He was from Bethany, the village of Mary and her sister Martha. (This Mary, whose brother Lazarus now lay sick, was the same one who poured perfume on the Lord and wiped his feet with her hair.)"
John 12:1-3 "Six days before the Passover, Jesus came to Bethany, where Lazarus lived, whom Jesus had raised from the dead. Here a dinner was given in Jesus’ honor. Martha served, while Lazarus was among those reclining at the table with him. Then Mary took about a pint of pure nard, an expensive perfume; she poured it on Jesus’ feet and wiped his feet with her hair. And the house was filled with the fragrance of the perfume.".

7c. Luke 7:36-38 "When one of the Pharisees invited Jesus to have dinner with him, he went to the Pharisee’s house and reclined at the table. A woman in that town who lived a sinful life learned that Jesus was eating at the Pharisee’s house, so she came there with an alabaster jar of perfume. As she stood behind him at his feet weeping, she began to wet his feet with her tears. Then she wiped them with her hair, kissed them and poured perfume on them. ... [Jesus said to Simon:] You did not put oil on my head, but she has poured perfume on my feet.""
Even if Simon or Lazarus was a Pharisee, in view of Lazarus having been raised from the dead, it is strange that this gospel doesn't name him nor the woman.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_the_Leper details some confusions/contradictions in the story, and the possibility that it happened twice "with some of the same participants, but several years apart"!
Male
Jeff  Male  East Sussex 28-Mar-2013 23:35 Message #4327192
Continuing with the Easter quizzes, now with the increased prizes:-

8. When was the Last Supper in relation to the first day of Passover?

9. At what point during the Last Supper did Jesus predict his betrayal?

10. In the Last Supper Communion, which comes first: bread or wine?

11. In Jesus's prediction, how many times would a cock crow before Peter denies him 3 times?

12. At what point did Satan enter and affect Judas?

13. Did Judas bargain with priests before or after the Last Supper?

14. What does Judas do with the 30 pieces of silver?

15. How did Judas die?
Male
Jeff  Male  East Sussex 29-Mar-2013 09:55 Message #4327439
You got number 4 right, but not accurate enough. So maybe you should change your name (again) to SINK. But don't be discouraged from entering this and future quizzes.
Your prize might be delayed by poor postal services over the Easter holiday.
Male
Jeff  Male  East Sussex 29-Mar-2013 21:36 Message #4328054
Gitana,
Thanks for your comments.
Suppose you want to see many translations at the same time, (as I often do). Say you are interested in John 13:38, and some commentaries on it. Then simply look at http://bible.cc/john/13-38.htm.
If you want the whole chapter for a particular version, then click on that version's name.
Then within that chapter, if you want to see many versions for a particular verse, then click that verse number.
There are also other good facilities, such as selecting a book & chapter & verse in the top left corner, or using the large search box in various ways.

Trucker,
As usual, you dismiss what I write because I am an atheist, and you ignore the content of what I write. Instead of concentrating on me, try thinking about the message.
The questions I am asking are about what the bible says, not about what atheists say.
I spend many hours preparing these posts, because I also look up some cross-references etc.
It isn't unusual for atheists to research and learn more about a religion than its believers research and learn. Maybe someone who studies so much should be considered. The reason I reject religion is not because of my ignorance of it.
Many people believe that the bible is the word of God, (subject to translations) . Perhaps they would like to read it.
I enjoyed the more than 2 hours of open-air Passion Play that I went to this afternoon.

In church you may well hear a reading from one book of the bible, and then a few weeks or months or a year later you hear the corresponding passage from a different book of the bible. This is an opportunity to see those corresponding passages put together, and to compare and contrast them.
Male
Jeff  Male  East Sussex 29-Mar-2013 21:38 Message #4328055
8. When was the Last Supper in relation to the first day of Passover?

8a. Luke 22:7-8 "Then came the day of Unleavened Bread on which the Passover lamb had to be sacrificed. Jesus sent Peter and John, saying, “Go and make preparations for us to eat the Passover.”"
(Similarly Mark 14:12 and Matthew 26:17. The Last Supper is on the first day of Passover.)

8b. John 13:2 says "The evening meal was in progress".
John 19:14 "It was the day of Preparation of the Passover; it was about noon. “Here is your king,” Pilate said to the Jews." Then Jesus was crucified.
The crucifixion was on the Passover. The Last Supper was on the evening before that day.

9. At what point during the Last Supper did Jesus predict his betrayal?

9a. Mark 14:17-24 "When evening came, Jesus arrived with the Twelve. While they were reclining at the table eating, he said, “Truly I tell you, one of you will betray me—one who is eating with me.” They were saddened, and one by one they said to him, “Surely you don’t mean me?” ... While they were eating, Jesus took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to his disciples, saying, “Take it; this is my body.” Then he took a cup, and when he had given thanks, he gave it to them, and they all drank from it. “This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many,” he said to them"
(Similarly Matthew 26:21-28 and John 13:21-26.)
So the betrayal prediction was before the communion.

9b. Luke 22:17-23 *"After taking the cup, he gave thanks and said, “Take this and divide it among you. For I tell you I will not drink again from the fruit of the vine until the kingdom of God comes.” And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me.” In the same way, after the supper he took the cup, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you. But the hand of him who is going to betray me is with mine on the table. The Son of Man will go as it has been decreed. But woe to that man who betrays him!” They began to question among themselves which of them it might be who would do this.
So the betrayal prediction was after the communion.
(Some manuscripts omit "given for you ... poured out for you".)

(Continued)

Male
Jeff  Male  East Sussex 29-Mar-2013 21:46 Message #4328064
10. In the Last Supper Communion, which comes first: bread or wine?

10a. Mark 14:22-23 "While they were eating, Jesus took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to his disciples, saying, “Take it; this is my body.” Then he took a cup, and when he had given thanks, he gave it to them, and they all drank from it. “This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many,” he said to them. “Truly I tell you, I will not drink again from the fruit of the vine until that day when I drink it new in the kingdom of God.”" (Similarly Matthew 26:26-29.)
So the order is bread then wine. Saying "I will not drink again ... " is after the bread. Saying "... covenant ..." is during the supper.

10b. Luke 22:17-20 "After taking the cup, he gave thanks and said, “Take this and divide it among you. For I tell you I will not drink again from the fruit of the vine until the kingdom of God comes.” And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me.” In the same way, after the supper he took the cup, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you."
So the order is wine then bread then wine again. Saying "I will not drink again ... " is before the bread. Saying "... covenant ..." is after the supper.

11. In Jesus's prediction, how many times would a cock crow before Peter denies him 3 times?

11a. John 13:38 "Then Jesus answered, “Will you really lay down your life for me? Very truly I tell you, before the rooster crows, you will disown me three times!"" (Similarly Matthew 26:34 and Luke 22:34.)
This indicates before the rooster crows at all, i.e. before the 1st time that it crows.
John 18:17-27 ""You aren’t one of this man’s disciples too, are you?” she [servant girl] asked Peter. He replied, “I am not.” ... Meanwhile, Simon Peter was still standing there warming himself. So they [servants & officials] asked him, “You aren’t one of his disciples too, are you?” He denied it, saying, “I am not.” One of the high priest’s servants, a relative of the man whose ear Peter had cut off, challenged him, “Didn’t I see you with him in the garden?” Again Peter denied it, and at that moment a rooster began to crow."
This confirms that Peter denied Jesus 3 times before the cock crowed.

11b. Mark 14:30 *""Truly I tell you," Jesus answered, "today - yes, tonight - before the rooster crows twice you yourself will disown me three times.""

How many times did it crow?
Mark 14:67-72 "“You also were with that Nazarene, Jesus,” she [servant girl] said. But he denied it. “I don’t know or understand what you’re talking about,” he said, and went out into the entryway. When the servant girl saw him there, she said again to those standing around, “This fellow is one of them.” Again he denied it. After a little while, those standing near said to Peter, “Surely you are one of them, for you are a Galilean.” He began to call down curses, and he swore to them, “I don’t know this man you’re talking about.” Immediately the rooster crowed the second time. Then Peter remembered the word Jesus had spoken to him: “Before the rooster crows twicei you will disown me three times.” And he broke down and wept."
Some early manuscripts say the cock crowed just after the first denial, whereas others don't mention at all the cock crowing the 1st time. This suggests that the events were amended to suit what Jesus foretold.
Some early manuscripts omit mentioning that this was the second time that the cock crowed.

Spot the differences in who asks the questions in the accounts.
The 2nd time, Peter is asked by servants & officials (John 18:18-25) or the servant girl (Mark 14:69) or a man (Luke 22:58).

(Continued)
Male
Jeff  Male  East Sussex 29-Mar-2013 21:50 Message #4328065
12. At what point did Satan enter and affect Judas?

12a. Luke 22:3-6 "Then Satan entered Judas, called Iscariot, one of the Twelve. And Judas went to the chief priests and the officers of the temple guard and discussed with them how he might betray Jesus. ... Then came the day of Unleavened Bread on which the Passover lamb had to be sacrificed. ..."
This was before the Last Supper.

12b. John 13:26-27 "Jesus answered, “It is the one to whom I will give this piece of bread when I have dipped it in the dish.” Then, dipping the piece of bread, he gave it to Judas, the son of Simon Iscariot. As soon as Judas took the bread, Satan entered into him." This was during the Last Supper.

13. Did Judas bargain with priests before or after the Last Supper?

13a. Mark 14:10-11 "Then Judas Iscariot, one of the Twelve, went to the chief priests to betray Jesus to them. They were delighted to hear this and promised to give him money. So he watched for an opportunity to hand him over." (Similarly Luke 22:4-6.)
Matthew 26:14-16 "Then one of the Twelve—the one called Judas Iscariot—went to the chief priests and asked, “What are you willing to give me if I deliver him over to you?” So they counted out for him thirty pieces of silver. From then on Judas watched for an opportunity to hand him over."
The bargain was made before the Last Supper.

13b. John 13:27-30 As soon as Judas took the bread, Satan entered into him. So Jesus told him, “What you are about to do, do quickly.” ... As soon as Judas had taken the bread, he went out. And it was night."
The bargain was made after the Last Supper.

14. What does Judas do with the 30 pieces of silver?
15. How did Judas die?

14&15a. Matthew 27:3-5 "When Judas, who had betrayed him, saw that Jesus was condemned, he was seized with remorse and returned the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and the elders. “I have sinned,” he said, “for I have betrayed innocent blood.” “What is that to us?” they replied. “That’s your responsibility.” So Judas threw the money into the temple and left. Then he went away and hanged himself."

14&15b. Acts 1:18 "(With the payment he received for his wickedness, Judas bought a field; there he fell headlong, his body burst open and all his intestines spilled out."
Male
Jeff  Male  East Sussex 29-Mar-2013 21:51 Message #4328068
Third quiz about Easter:-

16. Who owned the "Field of Blood", and why was it called that?

17. While waiting in the Garden of Gethsemane, how many times did Jesus find the disciples asleep?

18. How did Judas point out Jesus to the soldiers etc to arrest Jesus?

19. What happened to a slave's ear?

20. Did Jesus recommend swords or condemn them?

21. When was the first hearing of the charges against Jesus?

22. What was the response of Jesus when Pilate asked him if he was King of the Jews, and further questions?

23. What were the crimes of Barabbas?

24. Before being crucified, who gave Jesus a robe, and what colour was it?
Male
Jeff  Male  East Sussex 30-Mar-2013 15:41 Message #4328453
These real/apparent contradictions have been known for a very long time by the clergy and by scholars and by many other people. I don’t claim to have discovered them myself.

I am just goving quotes from the New International Version, looking around the subject, and adding some of my thoughts which of course you can ignore. As usual you can check for yourself, and please inform me if I'm wrong.

Some apparent self-contradictions can be explained. (For example, see the last paragraph on 28-Mar-13 at 21:56.) It is for you to decide whether to look into it and agree or disagree with explanations.

We are lucky that in the past say 200 years people have been allowed to analyse the bible, and study historical contexts, and that now the internet greatly facilitates that. For centuries the Catholic church made owning a bible and translating the bible subject to terrible penalties. (Details on request.)

We are lucky that in this country we can consider finding fault with holy books. In many Islamic countries it would be regarded as apostacy, and possibly get the death penalty.
Male
Jeff  Male  East Sussex 30-Mar-2013 15:51 Message #4328456
16. Who owned the "Field of Blood", and why was it called that?

16a. Matthew 27:5-10 " So Judas threw the money [thirty pieces of silver] into the temple and left. Then he went away and hanged himself. The chief priests picked up the coins and said, “It is against the law to put this into the treasury, since it is blood money.” So they decided to use the money to buy the potter’s field as a burial place for foreigners. That is why it has been called the Field of Blood to this day. Then what was spoken by Jeremiah the prophet was fulfilled: “They took the thirty pieces of silver, the price set on him by the people of Israel, and they used them to buy the potter’s field, as the Lord commanded me.”

16b. Acts 1:19 "Everyone in Jerusalem heard about this [Judas's intestines spilled out], so they called that field in their language Akeldama, that is, Field of Blood.)"

With regard to the Matthew 27:9-10 prophesy by the "prophet" Jeremiah, as usual it is not a prophesy.
http://niv.scripturetext.com/matthew/27.htm gives 3 references to this: Zech. 11:12,13; Jer. 19:1-13; 32:6-9.

Jeremiah 19:1-13. That includes, because of worshipping false gods, "the Lord says: “Go and buy a clay jar from a potter ... I am going to bring bring a disaster on this place ... I will devastate this city and make it an object of horror and scorn; all who pass by will be appalled and will scoff because of all its wounds. I will make them eat the flesh of their sons and daughters, and they will eat one another’s flesh because their enemies will press the siege so hard against them to destroy them. ... I will smash this nation and this city just as this potter’s jar is smashed and cannot be repaired"
The all-loving, all-merciful God again! But it is nothing to do with Matthew 27:6-8.

Jeremiah 32:6-9. But that says "Jeremiah said, “The word of the Lord came to me: Hanamel son of Shallum your uncle is going to come to you and say, ‘Buy my field at Anathoth, because as nearest relative it is your right and duty to buy it.’ “Then, just as the Lord had said, my cousin Hanamel came to me in the courtyard of the guard and said, ‘Buy my field at Anathoth in the territory of Benjamin. Since it is your right to redeem it and possess it, buy it for yourself.’ “I knew that this was the word of the Lord; so I bought the field at Anathoth from my cousin Hanamel and weighed out for him seventeen shekels [= ~7 ounces or ~200 grams] of silver."
But it is nothing to do with Matthew 27:6-8.

Zechariah 11:12-13. That includes "So I took the thirty pieces of silver and threw them to the potter at the house of the Lord."
But that isn't a command for the New Testament priests to buy a field, and it isn't from Jeremiah!
Incidentally, a little before that, in Zechariah 11:6 is more of God's infinite mercy: "For I will no longer have pity on the people of the land,” declares the Lord".

(Continued)
Male
Jeff  Male  East Sussex 30-Mar-2013 15:56 Message #4328458
17. While waiting in the Garden of Gethsemane, how many times did Jesus find the disciples asleep?

17a. Mark 14:32-41 "They went to a place called Gethsemane, and Jesus said to his disciples, “Sit here while I pray.” ... “Abba, Father,” he said, “everything is possible for you. Take this cup from me. Yet not what I will, but what you will.” Then he returned to his disciples and found them sleeping. “Simon,” he said to Peter, “are you asleep? Couldn’t you keep watch for one hour? ... Once more he went away and prayed the same thing. When he came back, he again found them sleeping, because their eyes were heavy. They did not know what to say to him. Returning the third time, he said to them, “Are you still sleeping and resting? Enough! The hour has come. Look, the Son of Man is delivered into the hands of sinners. Rise! Let us go! Here comes my betrayer!”! Just as he was speaking, Judas, one of the Twelve, appeared. With him was a crowd …".
So Jesus found the disciples sleeping 3 times between his prayer and Judas with the crowd arriving.

17b. Luke 22:40-47 ”On reaching the place, he said to them, “Pray that you will not fall into temptation.” He withdrew about a stone’s throw beyond them, knelt down and prayed, “Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done.” … When he rose from prayer and went back to the disciples, he found them asleep, exhausted from sorrow. “Why are you sleeping?” he asked them. “Get up and pray so that you will not fall into temptation.” While he was still speaking a crowd came up, and the man who was called Judas, one of the Twelve, was leading them. …”
So Jesus found the disciples sleeping once between his prayer and Judas with the crowd arriving.

18. How did Judas point out Jesus to the soldiers etc to arrest Jesus?

18a. Mark 14:44-46 “Now the betrayer had arranged a signal with them: “The one I kiss is the man; arrest him and lead him away under guard.” Going at once to Jesus, Judas said, “Rabbi!” and kissed him. The men seized Jesus and arrested him.”

18b: Luke 22:47-49 ”While he was still speaking a crowd came up, and the man who was called Judas, one of the Twelve, was leading them. He approached Jesus to kiss him, but Jesus asked him, “Judas, are you betraying the Son of Man with a kiss?” When Jesus’ followers saw what was going to happen, they said, “Lord, should we strike with our swords?””
Luke doesn’t say whether Judas actually kissed Jesus.

18c. John 18:2-9 ” So Judas came to the garden, guiding a detachment of soldiers and some officials from the chief priests and the Pharisees. They were carrying torches, lanterns and weapons. Jesus, knowing all that was going to happen to him, went out and asked them, “Who is it you want?” “Jesus of Nazareth,” they replied. “I am he,” Jesus said. (And Judas the traitor was standing there with them.) When Jesus said, “I am he,” they drew back and fell to the ground. Again he asked them, “Who is it you want?” “Jesus of Nazareth,” they said. Jesus answered, “I told you that I am he. If you are looking for me, then let these men go.””
Jesus declares himself, with no mention of Judas approaching him or trying to kiss him.

(Continued)
Male
Jeff  Male  East Sussex 30-Mar-2013 16:01 Message #4328462
19. What happened to a slave's ear?

19a. Luke 22:50-51 ”And one of them [Jesus’s followers] struck the servant of the high priest, cutting off his right ear. But Jesus answered, “No more of this!” And he touched the man’s ear and healed him.”

19b. Mark 14:47 “Then one of those standing near drew his sword and struck the servant of the high priest, cutting off his ear.”
There is no mention of the ear then being restored, but surely it is worth a few words to report such a good and instructive (e.g. violence is useless or don’t injure a servant) miracle.

19c. John 18:10 “Then Simon Peter, who had a sword, drew it and struck the high priest’s servant, cutting off his right ear. (The servant’s name was Malchus.)”
Again there is no mention of the ear then being restored. Yet Mark takes the trouble to give the servan’t name!

20. Did Jesus recommend swords or condemn them?

20a. Luke 22:36-38 “He [Jesus] said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. … The disciples said, “See, Lord, here are two swords.” “That’s enough!” he [Jesus] replied.”

20b. Matthew 26:51-52 “With that, one of Jesus’ companions reached for his sword, drew it out and struck the servant of the high priest, cutting off his ear. “Put your sword back in its place,” Jesus said to him, “for all who draw the sword will die by the sword Do you think I cannot call on my Father, and he will at once put at my disposal more than twelve legions of angels? But how then would the Scriptures be fulfilled that say it must happen in this way?”
So why (in Luke 22:36-38) did Jesus tell the disciples to buy swords? Many pacifists quote “all who draw the sword will die by the sword”, but they don’t have legions of angels to protect them and prophesies (including fake ones) to guide them. Like “turn the other cheek”, what do you do if your family/friends are threatened?
(Here I won’t go into Matthew 10:34-37 where Jesus says “Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to turn ‘a man against his father, … ”. (Similarly Luke 12:51-53.))

21. When was the first hearing of the charges against Jesus?

21a. Mark 14:53-60 “They [a crowd] took Jesus to the high priest, and all the chief priests, the elders and the teachers of the law came together. … Then the high priest stood up before them and asked Jesus, “Are you not going to answer? What is this testimony that these men are bringing against you?””
Mark 14:12-17 says that the Last Supper was on the first evening of Passover. The hearing was the next day, i.e. the day after Passover.

21b. John 18:20 ”Then the Jewish leaders took Jesus from Caiaphas to the palace of the Roman governor. By now it was early morning, and to avoid ceremonial uncleanness they did not enter the palace, because they wanted to be able to eat the Passover. So Pilate came out to them and asked, “What charges are you bringing against this man?” … Pilate then went back inside the palace, summoned Jesus and asked him, “Are you the king of the Jews?””.
So this was before the evening of Passover. That is consistent with John saying that the Last Supper was on the evening before Passover, (see answer 8b), but inconsistent with the other gospels.

(Continued)
Male
Jeff  Male  East Sussex 30-Mar-2013 16:10 Message #4328465
22. What was the response of Jesus when Pilate asked him if he was King of the Jews, and further questions?

22a. Mark 15:2-5 ““Are you the king of the Jews?” asked Pilate. “You have said so,” Jesus replied. The chief priests accused him of many things. So again Pilate asked him, “Aren’t you going to answer? See how many things they are accusing you of.” But Jesus still made no reply, and Pilate was amazed.” (Similarly Matthew 27:11-14.)
Mark and Matthew don’t mention Pilate questioning Jesus any more, nor Jesus replying, yet surely if it were true that would be worth Mark reporting.

22b. Luke 23:3 ”So Pilate asked Jesus, “Are you the king of the Jews?” “You have said so,” Jesus replied”.
Luke doesn’t say whether Pilate or Jesus said any more to each other.

22c. John 18:33-34 ” Pilate then went back inside the palace, summoned Jesus and asked him, “Are you the king of the Jews?” “Is that your own idea,” Jesus asked, “or did others talk to you about me?” “Am I a Jew?” Pilate replied. “Your own people and chief priests handed you over to me. What is it you have done?” Jesus said, “My kingdom is not of this world. If it were, my servants would fight to prevent my arrest by the Jewish leaders. But now my kingdom is from another place.” “You are a king, then!” said Pilate. Jesus answered, “You say that I am a king. In fact, the reason I was born and came into the world is to testify to the truth. Everyone on the side of truth listens to me.””
That’s a fair amount of question and answer.

23. What were the crimes of Barabbas?

23a. John 18:40 – ” They shouted back, "No, not him! Give us Barabbas!" Now Barabbas had taken part in an uprising.”
But http://bible.cc/john/18-40.htm shows that nearly all other versions say “Now Barabbas was a robber.”

23b. Luke 23:19-25 “ (Barabbas had been thrown into prison for an insurrection in the city, and for murder. … He [Pilate] released the man [Barabbas] who had been thrown into prison for insurrection and murder, the one they asked for, and surrendered Jesus to their will.)”. (Similarly Mark 15:7.)
http://bible.cc/luke/23-19.htm shows that Luke 23:19 in various versions says “insurrection” or “sedition” or “tumult”; they don’t say “robbery”. Simiarly http://bible.cc/luke/23-25.htm and http://bible.cc/mark/15-7.htm versions don’t say “robber” or anything like it.

24. Before being crucified, who gave Jesus a robe, and what colour was it?

24a. Mark 15:16-17 “The soldiers led Jesus away into the palace (that is, the Praetorium) and called together the whole company of soldiers. They put a purple robe on him, then twisted together a crown of thorns and set it on him.”

24b. Matthew 27:28 “ Then the governor’s soldiers took Jesus into the Praetorium and gathered the whole company of soldiers around him. They stripped him and put a scarlet robe on him, and then twisted together a crown of thorns and set it on his head”

24c. Luke 23:7-11 “When he [Pilate] learned that Jesus was under Herod’s jurisdiction, he sent him to Herod, who was also in Jerusalem at that time. … He [Herod] plied him [Jesus] with many questions, but Jesus gave him no answer. … Then Herod and his soldiers ridiculed and mocked him. Dressing him in an elegant robe, they sent him back to Pilate.”
Luke doesn’t reveal the robe’s colour, and Herod was in a different location from Pilate so it might have been a different robe.
Male
Jeff  Male  East Sussex 30-Mar-2013 16:37 Message #4328478
The prizes don’t seem to be attractive enough. So now you also have the possibility of a free two-months holiday anywhere you like and £100,000 spending money, and you can take on the holiday as many people as you like.

Fourth quiz about Easter according to the bible:-

25. What did Jesus and the two men crucified with him say to each other?

26. What drink was given to Jesus on the cross, and did he drink it?

27. What did the Roman centurion say just after Jesus died?

28. How near did women get to Jesus on the cross?

29. What time of day was the crucifixion?

30. What were the final words of Jesus before he died?

31. What does the Matthew gospel say happened immediately after Jesus died?
Male
Jeff  Male  East Sussex 31-Mar-2013 15:22 Message #4329112
25. What did Jesus and the two men crucified with him say to each other?

25a. Matthew 27:38-44 ”Two rebels were crucified with him, one on his right and one on his left. Those who passed by hurled insults at him, shaking their heads and saying, “You who are going to destroy the temple and build it in three days, save yourself! Come down from the cross, if you are the Son of God!” In the same way the chief priests, the teachers of the law and the elders mocked him. “He saved others,” they said, “but he can’t save himself! He’s the king of Israel! Let him come down now from the cross, and we will believe in him. He trusts in God. Let God rescue him now if he wants him, for he said, ‘I am the Son of God.’?” In the same way the rebels who were crucified with him also heaped insults on him.”
So both criminals insulted Jesus.
Other versions replace “rebels” by “robbers”/“thieves”/“revolutionaries”/” criminals”/”bandits”/”outlaws”. The most common is “robbers” or “thieves”, but Romans didn’t crucify such people.
If Jesus had physically escaped from the cross, such as by physically escaping from the nails, flying up and doing aerial acrobatics all over Jerusalem and other towns or even all over the world, and loudly preaching in many languages, then he would have had a lot more witnesses and been recorded by many more literate people. This would have shown people, then and afterwards, worldwide that he was who he said, and would have got his message across, and saved billions of people. Isn't that what God wants?
Sometimes believers say that it is better to have faith without evidence. But the disciples and people who benefited from his miracles had evidence, (assuming the bible is true). Why did Jesus restrict his miracles to such a small audience compared to the world’s population?

25b. Luke 23:39-42 ” One of the criminals who hung there hurled insults at him: “Aren’t you the Messiah? Save yourself and us!” But the other criminal rebuked him. “Don’t you fear God,” he said, “since you are under the same sentence? We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong.” Then he said, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom [ kingly power]. ” Jesus answered him, “Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise.””
So one criminal taunted Jesus, and the other criminal defended Jesus.
(Most versions say ”into your kingdom”, although some manuscripts say “with your kingly power”.)
What day did Jesus go to paradise?
Luke 23:43 suggests on the same day he was crucified.
The day after the crucifixion is called “Holy Saturday”. (It is not “Easter Saturday”, which is a week later.) There are theories (details on request) as to what Jesus was doing on that day.
Or maybe Jesus went to paradise on when absent from the tomb on Easter Sunday.
Or maybe it was 40 days later, as Acts 1:3 says “After his suffering, he presented himself to them and gave many convincing proofs that he was alive. He appeared to them over a period of forty days and spoke about the kingdom of God.”

(Continued)
Male
Jeff  Male  East Sussex 31-Mar-2013 15:27 Message #4329113
26. What drink was given to Jesus on the cross, and did he drink it?

26a. Matthew 27:48 ”Immediately one of them [people standing there] ran and got a sponge. He filled it with wine vinegar, put it on a staff, and offered it to Jesus to drink.
(Other versions say “sour wine” or “vinegar”.) (Similarly Luke 23:36 and John 19:29.)

26b. Mark 15:23 “Then they offered him wine mixed with myrrh, but he did not take it.”
(Many versions agree with that.)

Versions say that Jesus “received” or “tasted” or “had taken” the drink, but they don’t say that he drank any of it. (I don’t think that Jesus saying “it is finished” referred to the drink!) This is in accordance with Jesus having said at the Last Supper that he would not drink wine again (see 10a & 10b).

27. What did the Roman centurion say just after Jesus died?

27a. Matthew 27:54 “When the centurion and those with him who were guarding Jesus saw the earthquake and all that had happened, they were terrified, and exclaimed, “Surely he was the Son of God!””

27b. Mark 15:39 ” And when the centurion, who stood there in front of Jesus, saw how he died, he said, “Surely this man was the Son of God!””

27c. Luke 23:47 ” The centurion, seeing what had happened, praised God and said, “Surely this was a righteous man.””
Other versions say "Surely this man was innocent” or “this man was just”.
This doesn’t mention being the Son of God.

28. How near did women get to Jesus on the cross?

28a. Matthew 27:55-56 ”Many women were there, watching from a distance. They had followed Jesus from Galilee to care for his needs. Among them were Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James and Joseph [or Joses] and the mother of Zebedee’s sons.” (Similarly Mark 15:40 and Luke 23:49.)

28b. John 19:25-26 Near the cross of Jesus stood his mother, his mother’s sister, Mary the wife of Clopas, and Mary Magdalene. When Jesus saw his mother there, and the disciple whom he loved standing nearby, he said to her, “Woman, here is your son,””
(Some versions say “by” or “beside” the cross.)

(Continued)

1 2 3 4 Next >  Last >> 

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »